Post Match. Pies demolish Dees. All comments.

Match previews, reviews, reports and discussion.

Moderator: bbmods

Big T
Has liked: 6 times
Been liked: 58 times

Post by Big T »

I'm sure Fly won't be using the same tactic in the preliminary. He must realize melbournes inaccuracy cost them the game and they would have won comfortably otherwise. and yes our defence did well but comeon, blind Freddy could see we were.lucky.
Buon Giorno
BazBoy
Been liked: 27 times

Post by BazBoy »

Question of interest

What match result decides who we play in Prelim
I'm not arguing--just explaining why i am right
Jezza
Has liked: 127 times
Been liked: 191 times

Post by Jezza »

BazBoy wrote:Question of interest

What match result decides who we play in Prelim
Winner of Bris/Port vs GWS.
🏆 | 1902 | 1903 | 1910 | 1917 | 1919 | 1927 | 1928 | 1929 | 1930 | 1935 | 1936 | 1953 | 1958 | 1990 | 2010 | 2023 | 🏆
Big T

Post by Big T »

Lions look a level above. Huge challenge.
Buon Giorno
Johnno75
Been liked: 16 times

Post by Johnno75 »

On the flip side Port looked banged up and getting injuries. GWS if they win will be on the road for 3 consecutive weeks if they meet us. Lions are a 5-6 goal better team at home. They look switched on but the MCG will bring them back a bit.
Human behavioural studies suggest people who use a lot of swear words tend to be more honest & trustworthy.
swooper
Has liked: 55 times
Been liked: 4 times

Post by swooper »

Yeah Lions definitely will cruise into a GF. They’ll be a tough opponent for anyone..
Pies4shaw
Has liked: 54 times
Been liked: 85 times

Post by Pies4shaw »

… and then they’ll lose by 116 points at the MCG, where they can’t play.
jonmac1954
Been liked: 14 times

Post by jonmac1954 »

Big T wrote:I'm sure Fly won't be using the same tactic in the preliminary. He must realize melbournes inaccuracy cost them the game and they would have won comfortably otherwise. and yes our defence did well but comeon, blind Freddy could see we were.lucky.
Yeah us missing 3 absolute sodas in the first quarter is totally irrelevant.

FMD!
Piethagoras' Theorem
Been liked: 2 times

Post by Piethagoras' Theorem »

Yep, if we had've kicked straight in and Angus Glassjaw didnt halt our momentum with his time wasting, not to mention the dubious down field free which resulted in their goal... the game is effectively over with us 10 goals up at qtr time. Turns out it was effectively over with only 3 goals up :lol:
Formally frankiboy and FrankieGoesToCollingwood.
Cam
Has liked: 15 times
Been liked: 22 times

Post by Cam »

What was interesting was watching us play Malthouse/Buckley style around the boundary for most of the game, I guess we might have done that because it was slippery, to reduce corridor turnovers perhaps.

Melbourne didn't seem to be 'denying' us the corridor, we just didn't really go there much. Perhaps we thought that would screw with all their planning for us doing that? The arm wrestle was Goodwin backing his guys in a packmark contest like recess at high school every time they went inside 50. Quite incredible that they didn't try another tactic, especially after quarter time.

Another thing at the ground was there was not much footage of the Maynard incident. They briefly showed Maynard flying and colliding... but no aftermath, no is he moving or not moving straight after it etc. In fact I watched Fritsch kick the goal and hadn't even realised that there was someone down.
Get back on top.
Piesnchess
Has liked: 178 times
Been liked: 72 times

Post by Piesnchess »

Brisvegas under Granpa Fagan dont bother me one bit on the MCG, at the Gabbatoir, where they play hick John Denver tunes after each goal, they are easy a 6 or 7 goals better team on that fortress, nobody wins there. Down here, totally different, at Marvel, we had depleted team but still booted 15 goals against them on a neutral venue that we dont play all that well. ON the MCG, with a fully fit team, Naicos back, in front of a roaring Magpie Army be a totally different match downhere. Plus this LIons team is not a patch on the three peat team of early 2000s, that had Acker, Black, Voss, Lynch Scotts , Leppa, Fly himself, plus other stars, in it. Nowhere near that teams dominnce.
Poverty exists not because we cannot feed the poor, but because we cannot satisfy the rich.

Chess and Vodka are born brothers. - Russian proverb.
Big T

Post by Big T »

jonmac1954 wrote:
Big T wrote:I'm sure Fly won't be using the same tactic in the preliminary. He must realize melbournes inaccuracy cost them the game and they would have won comfortably otherwise. and yes our defence did well but comeon, blind Freddy could see we were.lucky.
Yeah us missing 3 absolute sodas in the first quarter is totally irrelevant.

FMD!
All I'm saying is the tactics worked well to win that game and I couldn't be happier. But I'm sure Fly won't use them again v Lions if we make the granny, he will.change it up.
Buon Giorno
maurs64
Been liked: 1 time

Post by maurs64 »

I found it interesting when Gawn didn't go for the tap, but roved the Cox/Cameron tap. He did that on a few occasions and was successful almost every time.
Also I noticed the punt (likened to a NFL punt), well disguised towards the boundary line from defensive 50, where there were players, so couldn't be deemed deliberate. But close enough to the line to be touched over for a throw in. That happened on several occasions also. Another Fly tactic perhaps?
RudeBoy
Been liked: 73 times

Post by RudeBoy »

I'm surprised no-one has commented on the fact that JDG injured his knee in the first quarter - a moment before the Maynard/Braishaw clash. He managed to play out the game, with strapping on his knee, but clearly it hampered his performance.

Hopefully the week's break will enable him to fully recover, and with the return of Nick Daicos, give us a major boost in the midfield. I am supremely confident we have the team to go all the way and win the flag from here. Go Pies!
Take_a_Screamer
Has liked: 1 time
Been liked: 11 times

Post by Take_a_Screamer »

Who will play Collingwood?
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Ash Johnson...you beauty
Johnson Screamer @ https://www.afl.com.au/video/931485/joh ... -epic-mark? ❤️️