"The Circle" can VC recipient.

Nick's current affairs & general discussion about anything that's not sport.
Voice your opinion on stories of interest to all at Nick's.

Moderator: bbmods

think positive
Has liked: 212 times
Been liked: 84 times

Post by think positive »

maybe they should be charged for letting it happen. i guess id make a lousy soldier, because i could not stay quiet
You cant fix stupid, turns out you cant quarantine it either!
David
Has liked: 1 time
Been liked: 35 times

Post by David »

^ I think there's absolutely grounds for legal consequences for being silent accessories to (or helping cover up) the crimes. But obviously the main culprit is the one who committed them.
"Every time we witness an injustice and do not act, we train our character to be passive in its presence." – Julian Assange
stui magpie
Has liked: 71 times
Been liked: 73 times

Post by stui magpie »

David wrote:For those keeping track, how many witnesses to Roberts-Smith committing or threatening to commit war crimes are we up to now? These killings seem to be a hell of a lot better documented than most murders that actually get successfully prosecuted.
Refresh my memory, wasn't he found not guilty of these allegations in criminal proceedings or is that still ongoing?
Every dead body on Mt Everest was once a highly motivated person, so maybe just calm the **** down.
David

Post by David »

I don't believe he's ever faced a courtroom over these allegations (until this defamation case). Looks like a criminal case might be coming, though:

https://www.smh.com.au/national/a-vigil ... 59zg3.html
"Every time we witness an injustice and do not act, we train our character to be passive in its presence." – Julian Assange
stui magpie
Has liked: 71 times
Been liked: 73 times

Post by stui magpie »

Good article, cheers.

Looks like this defamation case may well be a massive own goal for BRS
Every dead body on Mt Everest was once a highly motivated person, so maybe just calm the **** down.
David

Post by David »

Just a charming bloke all round, it seems:

https://www.theguardian.com/australia-n ... -her-house
David

Post by David »

The trial comes to an end, with the verdict seemingly due later this year:

https://www.theguardian.com/australia-n ... s-judgment
Skids
Has liked: 26 times
Been liked: 30 times

Post by Skids »

the guardian wrote: The trial shone a glaring, often unflattering light, on the usually arcane world of Australia’s Special Air Service, revealing a troubled institution, factionalised and fractious, and deeply riven by internecine fighting over decorations and medals: in thrall, on some evidence, to a “warrior culture” steeped in violence.
Gee, who'd have thought, an elite military division engaging in violence :roll:

My old man was in the first SAS regiment out of Swanbourne and I've worked with a few blokes who also served. They're a special type of person... they need to be, it's war, not rainbows and unicorns.
Don't count the days, make the days count.
Pies4shaw
Has liked: 54 times
Been liked: 86 times

Post by Pies4shaw »

I trust your father didn’t deliberately kill unarmed civilians - that’s one of the issues at the core of this trial.
watt price tully

Post by watt price tully »

Pies4shaw wrote:I trust your father didn’t deliberately kill unarmed civilians - that’s one of the issues at the core of this trial.
And that is the point.

Then again I loved this from “The Shovel”

https://www.theshovel.com.au/2022/02/24 ... rts-smith/

One supposes apart from being a certain type of Alpha Male, being a psychopath might form part of the key selection criteria for the SAS. As Skids sort of points out you can’t have any doubts.
Last edited by watt price tully on Thu Jul 28, 2022 3:18 pm, edited 1 time in total.
“I even went as far as becoming a Southern Baptist until I realised they didn’t keep ‘em under long enough” Kinky Friedman
Skids

Post by Skids »

That would be alleged I presume P4S?

And, no, not to my knowledge. They did have to do some pretty gruesome things which I'm not in a position to be able to share. Staying alive in a hostile environment is something one would need to endure to fully comprehend.

The Chinese must snicker at the way our military force is being undermined by the bleeding heart brigade.
watt price tully

Post by watt price tully »

Skids wrote:That would be alleged I presume P4S?

And, no, not to my knowledge. They did have to do some pretty gruesome things which I'm not in a position to be able to share. Staying alive in a hostile environment is something one would need to endure to fully comprehend.

The Chinese must snicker at the way our military force is being undermined by the bleeding heart brigade.
Mate it’s not the bleeding heart brigade, that utterly misreads the situation. The evidence is coming from other SAS soldiers not social workers for goodness sake. I’m sure tyrannies and authoritarian rulers and governments don’t have any qualms and may well snigger; who cares. It makes us stronger by shining a light on possible wrongdoing. The Brereton report is very important. Weakness is when you don’t confront wrongdoing especially if it is murder not lawful killing.
“I even went as far as becoming a Southern Baptist until I realised they didn’t keep ‘em under long enough” Kinky Friedman
David

Post by David »

Pies4shaw
Has liked: 54 times
Been liked: 86 times

Post by Pies4shaw »

Skids wrote:That would be alleged I presume P4S?

It isn't the "bleeding heart brigade" - one is not permitted to kill unarmed civilians deliberately. That is a war crime. Everyone understands that difficult things need to be done - but the things that have been said in evidence in this trial have been quite beyond belief.
Skids

Post by Skids »

Agreed, but there have been two totally different stories.

I was only a kid when Dad left the regiment, I can still remember his nightmares. I supoe I'm a bit defensive when it comes to criticism of these soldiers. Most who would try to walk in their shoes would fall at the first step.
I do hope the truth is what comes out of this.

Who Dares Wins.