Transgender athletes back on the agenda

Nick's current affairs & general discussion about anything that's not sport.
Voice your opinion on stories of interest to all at Nick's.

Moderator: bbmods

David
Has liked: 1 time
Been liked: 35 times

Post by David »

"Every time we witness an injustice and do not act, we train our character to be passive in its presence." – Julian Assange
Wokko

Post by Wokko »

Transgenders in women's sport will kill women's sport. It's absolutely $@&^# in the head nonsense that a man who believes he's a woman will compete at the same physical level as real women. Too many of these men who wish they were woman seem to have a genuine hatred for biological women, I assume based on jealousy and are happy to stomp all over women's spaces.

Feminists are having to fight for women's rights again instead of finding imagined slights like 'manspreading', and they're having to fight against the loony LGBT activists who think that cutting off your penis and taking hormones makes you a woman.
David

Post by David »

"Every time we witness an injustice and do not act, we train our character to be passive in its presence." – Julian Assange
Skids
Has liked: 26 times
Been liked: 31 times

Post by Skids »

Contempt of women's sport?!

Turn it up!

I love women's sport; netball, T ball, soccer, gymnastics etc and love watching them. Surfing, swimming track & field... awesome. On the other hand watching them try and play Aussie rules & Rugby is laughable, but good on them for having a go. My issue with these sports is the attempt to affiliate them with the elite men's comp. Collingwood Magpies AWFL team is cringeworthy as is the whole competition and the AFL's attempt to force it down our throats... but, I digress.

What I don't like (so called bigotry) is men (and they are men, no matter how eloquently you want to sugar coat it) competing against women. Neither do most sensible thinking people.

Those who do are the leftist fools who wander around thinking the world is some sort of Alice in Wonderland theme park, where everybody gets along and we can all live in harmony, watching rainbows and unicorns frolic in strawberry fields forever.
Don't count the days, make the days count.
Wokko

Post by Wokko »

Being a 'Woman' is not an abstract or a feeling. To equate womanhood with being a eunuch on hormone therapy is an insult to women.

You say that trans people are such a small percentage of sports participants so therefore aren't a threat. Why is it that such a tiny percentage are smashing world records in every sport they are allowed to participate in.
Wokko

Post by Wokko »

stui magpie
Has liked: 72 times
Been liked: 74 times

Post by stui magpie »

Every dead body on Mt Everest was once a highly motivated person, so maybe just calm the **** down.
David

Post by David »

stui magpie

Post by stui magpie »

30 genders is a myth?

https://www.lifehacker.com.au/2016/07/e ... ex-survey/

There was some discussion at work today about Gender in the sense of recording it in IT systems and the people who referred to the 30+ genders aren't right wing or weirdos

Then there's this
The Victorian Government has reintroduced a bill to Parliament which would make it easier for people to change the gender recorded on their birth certificate to male, female or any other gender descriptor of their choice.
Under the proposal, Victorians could choose their own gender description, but the Registrar of Births, Deaths and Marriages would be able to reject any descriptions that are obscene or offensive.
So choosing a gender would be like getting a personalised licence plate except multiple people could have the same one.

https://www.abc.net.au/news/2019-06-18/ ... e/11220342

In my mind, if that legislation gets through it makes Gender meaningless

And the article about renee Richards sort of proves my point. How many people take up professional tennis at age 41 and make a doubles final at a grand slam?

To add to that
Richards has since expressed ambivalence about her legacy, and came to believe her past as a man provided her with advantages over her competitors, saying "Having lived for the past 30 years, I know if I'd had surgery at the age of 22, and then at 24 went on the tour, no genetic woman in the world would have been able to come close to me. And so I've reconsidered my opinion."[20][21]
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ren%C3%A9e_Richards
Every dead body on Mt Everest was once a highly motivated person, so maybe just calm the **** down.
David

Post by David »

stui magpie

Post by stui magpie »

David

Post by David »

Fair enough. That’s her opinion. Whether or not she was right that she would have been able to dominate the comp at 24 will never be known, and there are still valid questions as to whether that would be a bad thing to begin with.
stui magpie

Post by stui magpie »

As evidenced by my posts in this thread, I think it would be a bad thing.

Social constructs have their place, but so does biology.
think positive
Has liked: 216 times
Been liked: 85 times

Post by think positive »

i totally agree with her opinion, and applaud her for stating it,

She could add another couple of words life....aint fair, yet She has legally transitioned in every way She wanted, how about fair to the born female athletes who worked their arses off to get there.

you will never get it David because sport is not important to you, i can think of a way to put it thats youd get, as writing is not important to me.
You cant fix stupid, turns out you cant quarantine it either!
David

Post by David »

^ WTF? I've spent 16 years of my life posting on a Collingwood forum (admittedly, much of it hanging out in the VPT ;)), played football, tennis and indoor soccer competitively, and you think sport isn't important to me? :shock: