Farewell #28 Nathan Murphy

Player President threads here thanks.

Moderator: bbmods

Rd10.1998_11.1#36
Has liked: 9 times
Been liked: 5 times

Post by Rd10.1998_11.1#36 »

23 YIPPEE!!! wrote: im sick of him missing games unneeded missing of games all becuase of these new concussion rules the afl has handed onto us
Murphy not playing has nothing to do with the AFL or their rules
23 YIPPEE!!! wrote:time to play or the afl can give us compensation and pick a similar type of player from another club.
I don’t know why I’m even replying to this drivel but… would you be OK with the AFL giving Sydney a Collingwood player because McCartin retired due to concussion?
I’m going to stop typing now because it’s only going to go off a cliff from here

Keep the passion. Ditch the ‘we wuz robbed’ attitude
Woods Of Ypres
Has liked: 2 times
Been liked: 4 times

Post by Woods Of Ypres »

If we were Sydney we would we sending him out every week
thesoretoothsayer
Been liked: 14 times

Post by thesoretoothsayer »

I love how Murphy goes about things and wish to see him play many more games in the black and white.
I understand that CTE is a serious issue and I commend the club for being patient and supportive of Nathan.
However, there is a rookie draft around the corner and so I hope the club sits down with Nathan and discusses:
1. Whether he is fully committed to playing senior football this year
OR
2. Whether he will be retiring
OR
3. Whether he should be put on the long term injury list
Whatever Nathan resolves will be a huge decision and may have lifetime repercussions.
I don't envy a young man having to make such a decision but a decision needs to be made.
Pies2016
Has liked: 5 times
Been liked: 82 times

Post by Pies2016 »

^^^
I’m sure conversions that include the upcoming mid year draft are happening.
I find the uncertainty surrounding Murphy’s future, strange to say the least.
It’s not as though the longer you stay out of the game, the less chance you have of incurring irreversible effects upon any return. He will be forever much more prone to an acquired brain injury than most and yet we continue to hear hes participating in drills that prepare him play at some stage.
I wonder if part of his training includes attempting to re - train the way he plays the game by being smarter and more cautious, rather than too courageous for his own good.
I’d be surprised if we don’t have some sort of definitive answer on his future by the time the mid year draft comes around.
Gary Player “ the harder I practice, the luckier I get “
woodys_world69
Been liked: 20 times

Post by woodys_world69 »

as every day passes...its getting less likely... potentially he might come back for a few games...but the way he withdrew himself from the GF.. make me believe his previous concussions were a lot more serious than the public knows.
lazzadesilva
Been liked: 51 times

Post by lazzadesilva »

woodys_world69 wrote:as every day passes...its getting less likely... potentially he might come back for a few games...but the way he withdrew himself from the GF.. make me believe his previous concussions were a lot more serious than the public knows.
Yes, you may be right. Very sadly it reminds me of the John Greening comeback after he was coward punched by Jim O’Dea the St Kilda thug who pretended to play football. Greening was never the same player afterwards.
I term the current Collingwood attack based strategy “Unceasing Waves” like on a stormy and windy day with rough seas. A Perfect Storm ☔️
Pies4shaw
Has liked: 52 times
Been liked: 84 times

Post by Pies4shaw »

There really isn't much in common between Murphy's situation and Greening's. Murphy may never play footy again. John did, after being almost killed. He lost motivation for the old VFL after he proved to himself that he could come back but he did go on to play a lot more football. He starred (playing at CHB) in Port Melbourne's 1977 VFA premiership team and then won premierships back at Cooee and elsewhere in Tasmania (maybe one of the Launceston teams?). From memory, I think he played at senior level in Tasmania until the mid 1980s and continued playing competitive footy until about 1990.
LaurieHolden
Has liked: 138 times
Been liked: 134 times

Farewell Nathan Murphy: All tributes.

Post by LaurieHolden »

At 24 y/o he's called it quits, going out a premiership player.
Collingwood: 57 games, (Debut:18y 246d Last:23y 289d), 1150th player to appear, 319th most games played, 867th most goals kicked, 2023 Premiership player.

Go well young man.

Source: Mitch Cleary Ch7
https://7news.com.au/sport/afl/collingw ... c-14319162

CFC release:
https://www.collingwoodfc.com.au/news/1 ... -you-murph
Last edited by LaurieHolden on Thu Apr 18, 2024 10:43 am, edited 4 times in total.
"The Club's not Jock, Ted and Gerry" (& Eddie)
2023 AFL Premiers
derkd
Been liked: 20 times

Post by derkd »

Terrible blow to our team, to lose one of the few young guns that we have. However, Nathan you have made the right call you're both a premiership player and ever remembered as a great player.
As a fellow alumnus of Brighton Grammar, I also want to say you're a legend of our first eighteen and premiership player.

All the best to you Nathan.
"To know nothing of events before your birth, is to forever remain a child" - Cicero (Roman Lawyer/Senator) 46 BCE.
Jezza
Has liked: 127 times
Been liked: 191 times

Post by Jezza »

Sad day, but I wish him nothing but the best in retirement.
Forever a Premiership player and a pivotal part to our 2023 success.
🏆 | 1902 | 1903 | 1910 | 1917 | 1919 | 1927 | 1928 | 1929 | 1930 | 1935 | 1936 | 1953 | 1958 | 1990 | 2010 | 2023 | 🏆
Take_a_Screamer
Has liked: 1 time
Been liked: 11 times

Post by Take_a_Screamer »

Sad news for the team, fans and coaches but not unexpected.
Happy for Murphy that he values his future ahead of a game.
Farewell to Nathan and big thanks. He will be remembered as a premiership player who always
gave his all, put his body in dangerous positions and helped us getting to the grand final and ultimately, win the flag.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Last edited by Take_a_Screamer on Tue Apr 16, 2024 9:27 am, edited 6 times in total.
Ash Johnson...you beauty
Johnson Screamer @ https://www.afl.com.au/video/931485/joh ... -epic-mark? ❤️️
BazBoy
Been liked: 26 times

Post by BazBoy »

I'm not arguing--just explaining why i am right
themonk

Post by themonk »

Thank you Murph, just a big thank you.

You've made the right call, look after yourself.
WhyPhilWhy?
Has liked: 23 times
Been liked: 23 times

Post by WhyPhilWhy? »

Ultimately a brave decision, and Murph was always brave.

Will miss his pack crashing (but I guess that might be what got us here).

Billy Frampton, you have a lot to live up to!
BBHS
Has liked: 6 times
Been liked: 5 times

Post by BBHS »

Very brave decision and a tough one for Nathan. Good luck in the future. What a great 2023 season you had and can always look back on.