Post Match. Swans sink Pies - All comments.

Match previews, reviews, reports and discussion.

Moderator: bbmods

Duff Soviet Union
Been liked: 2 times

Re: Post Match. Swans sink Pies - All comments.

Post by Duff Soviet Union »

Disappointing to lose and probably season over, but actually thought that was the best we've played in months (probably since the Port Adelaide win) and were very unlucky to lose. In particular, the ball movement and forward 50 pressure was better than it's been in ages.

God, the umpiring was painful to watch, we got absolutely shafted.

This is the fourth time we've blown a five-ish goal lead in the last quarter (the draw with Freo and falling over the line last week and the first Hawthorn game), but unlike the other three, I don't think it was due to going too defensive too early, we just got smashed in the clearances.

The one thing I don't get is bringing on our sub with a minute to go. Literally, what is the point? Either bring him on earlier or just don't use him.
"We ain't gotta dream no more"
Duff Soviet Union

Post by Duff Soviet Union »

"Last year we won the flag after adding 4 new players to our team in Hill, McStay, Markov and Frampton. This year the additions last night were Bytel, Schultz and Long. Neither of them look like being successful players for us, except maybe Schultz."

I rate Long, he had a good game last night, even with the reversed free kick brain fart. He'll never be a star, but I think he'll be a solid best 22 player for a while.
"We ain't gotta dream no more"
BazBoy
Been liked: 29 times

Post by BazBoy »

Can’t think I’ve ever heard Fly mention a decision by an umpire affecting a result
I'm not arguing--just explaining why i am right
Cam
Has liked: 15 times
Been liked: 22 times

Post by Cam »

3 Quarter -> 4th Quarter
Rnd 04 - Hawthorn - led by 25 points won by 5
Rnd 10 - Adelaide - led by 18 won by 4
Rnd 11 - Fremantle - led by 27 at 19 min mark of 4th, draw, overrun
Rnd 12 - Bulldogs - lead by 12 early in the 4th, lose by 18, overrun
Rnd 20 - Tigers - lead by 41, win by 26
Rnd 21 - Cartlon - lead by 32 in the last, win by 2, overrun, but win after they miss after the siren
Rnd 22 - Sydney - lead by 27 in the last, lose by 2, overrun

and then there's the North game which proved we still had that overcoming style in us
Nearly did it against the Suns

What is the most annoying thing is that WE were the team that did that stuff in 22/23, and became powerless to combat it when used against us in 2024. At least Ned Long looks like he *might* be able to provide a type of Macaffer run with role going forward.
Get back on top.
Collingwouldn't
Been liked: 1 time

Re: Game On! Pies v. Swans. Updates, all comments.

Post by Collingwouldn't »

Mr Miyagi wrote: Fri Aug 09, 2024 10:26 pm That is 50m!!! Effing cheats!!!
Just like the North Melbourne game!! Disgraceful!!!!!! (etc.!)
Mr Miyagi
Has liked: 48 times
Been liked: 113 times

Post by Mr Miyagi »

BazBoy wrote: Sat Aug 10, 2024 9:27 am Can’t think I’ve ever heard Fly mention a decision by an umpire affecting a result
Wow what did he say?

Even Pendles remonstrated with the umps during the break over Quayner getting pinged deliberately when he was trying to kick it in front of himself to run off with it.

Were umps given a directive before the game and not communicated to the clubs (again)? Did they get instructed during the games through their mics, which we now know happens? It was disgraceful and swung the game.
BazBoy

Post by BazBoy »

“. If that were at the MCG I think it would have been paid”. Said Craig McCrae
Pies2016
Has liked: 5 times
Been liked: 87 times

Post by Pies2016 »

^^^
Correct D S U. We simply didn’t get our hands on the ball in the last 15 mins. That’s where the review should start and end because for the first three quarters, we were as good as we had been for a while, especially considering the venue and the opposition. The best teams have deep midfield rotations, you have to because that’s where the game is won or lost. We had lost nearly half of our midfield group ( DeGoey and Mitchell ) and to still be running on top of the ground late in games becomes a bridge to far for those who are left ( especially with our ageing mids profile).

These guys can’t get much better or fitter, so the improvement comes from a deep QUALITY rotation to share the load. That’s what we’ve been missing and that wont change this season. As soon as the club topped up with so many similar types like Sullivan, Long and Bytel, we should have all realised the coaches anticipated this as an area of concern.
We’ve got a lot of work to do in our midfield because it can’t all be left to Nick in 2025. The club needs to get creative, aggressive and most of all, lucky during this off season. Sadly, there are a number of perennially shit clubs about to come good, courtesy of the AFLs equalisation rules and obsession with growing the game in the northern states. Best we all just buckle up, because it’s going to be a bumpy ride.
Last edited by Pies2016 on Sat Aug 10, 2024 10:00 am, edited 2 times in total.
Gary Player “ the harder I practice, the luckier I get “
Haff
Has liked: 7 times
Been liked: 39 times

Post by Haff »

BazBoy wrote: Sat Aug 10, 2024 9:53 am “. If that were at the MCG I think it would have been paid”. Said Craig McCrae
Not his best moment. More ridicule as if being knocked out of the season wasn’t enough!
The match day thread is for unfiltered BS knee jerk reactions. The time for level headed comment comes after.
woodys_world69
Been liked: 20 times

Post by woodys_world69 »

Haff wrote: Sat Aug 10, 2024 9:58 am
BazBoy wrote: Sat Aug 10, 2024 9:53 am “. If that were at the MCG I think it would have been paid”. Said Craig McCrae
Not his best moment. More ridicule as if being knocked out of the season wasn’t enough!
He's not wrong though. same thing happens at the Gabba and Optus.
But personally its the deliberate out of bounds which is baffling. they were even giving them against Sydney
Mr Miyagi
Has liked: 48 times
Been liked: 113 times

Post by Mr Miyagi »

No he needed to go harder. Umpiring was a circus. He’s got a lot of footy people agreeing with him.
BazBoy

Post by BazBoy »

Sure it was a critical umpire decision
Would it have mattered had we shut their run down
Well now we move on and correct that in our next two matches
warburton lad
Has liked: 1 time
Been liked: 46 times

Post by warburton lad »

A bad 24 hours.
**Lose and almost certainly out of the finals race
**Harvey Harrison apparently does ACL
**We were outcoached in the last 15 minutes

To amplify the third point, Richards needed to come on and give us fresh legs- Elliott and/or McCreery should have been thrown into the middle to either get the clearance or create a secondary ball up. Hoskin-Elliott need to go to Noble's half-back-flank as Sydney repeatedly kicked to his direct opponent to create a mismatch.

In terms of the match, kudos to Darcy Cameron who will either win the Copeland Trophy, or finish a close second. Cox is growing back to form- to outpoint McCartin in marking contests is no easy feat. The ruck clashes between Cox/Cameron versus Grundy/McLean were titanic...

Ned Long is a good pick up- he has areas to work on, but his was brutish in close to effect.

A final word on the umpiring- last night confirmed that Isaac Heeney has been elevated to 'James Hird/Charlie Curnow status in terms of getting cheap frees. If Nick Daicos got just a few of the 'holding off the ball' frees that Heeney was gifted last night, we win- comfortably...
Firm in the belief that number 17 flag is only months away...
Haff
Has liked: 7 times
Been liked: 39 times

Post by Haff »

woodys_world69 wrote: Sat Aug 10, 2024 10:01 am
He's not wrong though. same thing happens at the Gabba and Optus.
But personally its the deliberate out of bounds which is baffling. they were even giving them against Sydney
Just as many calling us out for sooking about umpiring. We get a good run at the G. Agree that the interstate teams are looked after at home, crowd factor and all that, but it wasn’t the reason they came back from 27 points down.
I love the call about midfield depth. Pendles and sidey being relied on and then Long. Just don’t have the cattle to run out games (and go into this god awful hold on stage that’s been found out).
The match day thread is for unfiltered BS knee jerk reactions. The time for level headed comment comes after.
aus50ford
Has liked: 1 time

Post by aus50ford »

Before the Richmond game it was stated that if we win four out of the next five, we should (hopefully) be ok ... well that's still on track
I don't have a snappy catch phrase