Trade Targets ~ Free Agency & MSD player movements

This is a Collingwood Bulletin Board - use this forum for general, Pies-related topics. For other footy topics, use Nick's Other AFL forum, and for non-footy sporting topics please use Nick's Sports Bar. For non-sporting topics please use the Victoria Park Tavern.

Moderator: bbmods

Pies2016
Has liked: 5 times
Been liked: 88 times

Re: Trade Targets ~ Free Agency & MSD player movements

Post by Pies2016 »

This is just a feeling as opposed to fact based evidence but I sense this year is more likely to be a year of correction, rather than all in on improving our best 23.
The shift from premiers to missing the eight won’t have been in their thinking a few weeks ago, so our situation now requires a rethink of our medium term plans for this coming off season.
Hawthorn clearly have so much cap space, it might take another 12 months on of having them out of the equation, that ultimately improves our own position at the end of the 2025 season.
We will still be active enough this off season, considering our restrictive circumstances but I reckon the big fish is more likely another full season away.
Gary Player “ the harder I practice, the luckier I get “
Presti35
Has liked: 163 times
Been liked: 59 times

Post by Presti35 »

What if Harrison Jones askes for the trade to Collingwood though? We could always play the Oli Henry card that he wants to be close to his mum. Tullamarine is pretty far away... 8)
A Goal Saved Is 2 Goals Earned!
Pies2016

Post by Pies2016 »

One player who has been mentioned as uncontracted and “ available “ is James Peatling at the Giants. Played on ball for them against the Demons and was close to B O G.
His worth would have increased dramatically on the back of that performance but he’s hard at it and looks to have upside.
piedys
Has liked: 281 times
Been liked: 66 times

Post by piedys »

Pies2016 wrote: Sun Jul 28, 2024 11:36 am One player who has been mentioned as uncontracted and “ available “ is James Peatling at the Giants. Played on ball for them against the Demons and was close to B O G.
His worth would have increased dramatically on the back of that performance but he’s hard at it and looks to have upside.
If he gets put on the table late 2024, then we have nothing of any worth to offer them, or anybody else.

I can't see us luring anybody of any worth to club in the off season; everybody comes with a price.
M I L L A N E 4 2 forever
Pies2016

Post by Pies2016 »

^^^
To be fair, he’s hardly a household name and when Kelly and Cogniglio come back, does he even get a game. Guaranteed we will add a player or two on the off season, so with limited trade currency, the challenge is to find a diamond in the rough. At least when they are out of contract, the parent club no longer holds all the cards. Personally, I reckon our trade fortunes will depend on where they see young McGuane going in the draft in 2025. If they think he’s a first round pick ( which is a real possibility ) they will be more inclined to consider trading out our 2025 first rounder. That equates to either a decent ready made player or seat at the table early in the 2024 draft.
derkd
Has liked: 2 times
Been liked: 20 times

Post by derkd »

By pure chance, I clicked on the 5AA coverage of the Adelaide v Hawthorn game yesterday to listen while I am on holiday in Fiji.

They were discussing Adelaide's woes and poor drafting.Scott Camporeale argued strongly that Adelaide has spent too much time drafting key positions prospects, while the midfield has withered on the vine, as such they are getting thumped out of the middle. They are actually in deeper trouble then they realise.

His key point is, 'midfielders win premierships' full stop. If you can't get the ball out of the middle and use it well, You won't win many games. He pointed to Brisbane, Port, Freo, Hawthorn, Carlton, Sydney...as the current contenders they all have elite or near elite midfielders.

I get the feeling Collingwood subscribes to this same theory. When you look at our drafting strategy.
"To know nothing of events before your birth, is to forever remain a child" - Cicero (Roman Lawyer/Senator) 46 BCE.
SLORT
Has liked: 134 times
Been liked: 63 times

Post by SLORT »

Wonder if Ed Richards, now that he's discovered his inner Lou in the midfield, may want to come home to the nest? Doggies seem to be throwing all their dough at the talls, and if they re-sign English, perhaps he'd be worth a crack? At 25 may help smooth the transition from our golden oldies?
Pies2016

Post by Pies2016 »

derkd wrote: Mon Jul 29, 2024 7:43 am ^His key point is, 'midfielders win premierships' full stop.
I get the feeling Collingwood subscribes to this same theory. When you look at our drafting strategy.
I’ve been a convert of the above for years. You can’t get the ball to the best forwards in the competition without a decent midfield. I think most Collingwood supporters oversell our need for a K P F, when our real short term issues are in the middle of the ground. We won the flag without McStay but now we can’t win the midfield battles without Mitchell and DeGoey and it’s nearly over for Pendlebury.
Out of possible 50 odd games, McStay and Miochek have only played around dozen or so together. We should focus on improving our midfield and then give both these guys a chance to work together for a season or two.
The other important point about winning in midfield, is that it gives your defence time to reset and get a break. Winning midfields make both ends of the ground better, not just around the centre of the ground.
Swanny2011
Been liked: 1 time

Post by Swanny2011 »

I agree on our midfield we need to recruit midfielders first.

Taylor Adams and Tom Mitchell had 1075 Disposals, 262 tackles and 210 tackles between them in 2023 season.
We have missed Taylor Adams massively this year and this has been amplified with Mitchell being restricted to 6 games.

We have no one that has stepped up to fill in the void.
stui magpie
Has liked: 71 times
Been liked: 73 times

Post by stui magpie »

The thing is, there's loads of good midfielders in every draft, there's not a lot of good tall forwards.

Mids also develop quicker than talls, so there's no point loading up on Mids first then drafting talls, get the talls in first and while they develop bring in mids so they're all ready at the same time.

Considering that Checkers is 31 and McStay 29, if we can get access to any good KPF prospects through the draft we should take it with both hands. Having a stack of good Mids is no good if they have nothing to kick to.

In the mean time, Eyre and Steene need to get on the protein shakes and hit the gym over preseason
Every dead body on Mt Everest was once a highly motivated person, so maybe just calm the **** down.
Pies2016

Post by Pies2016 »

^^^
Stui, totally agree we need to plan for life after Checkers but the problem has been that with our recent first picks coming in at the end of the first round, there’s always a reduced certainty about any remaining talls left on the board. We would have had to trade something decent away to buy into any top ten pick in the last three drafts.
This year is no exception either, Cal Twomey has young Armstrong as the first Vic KPF to go at # 14 ( first mock draft ) Once again, we find ourselves ( courtesy of Shultz trade ) where would need to give up a shed load just to put ourselves back in position to take him. Do we sell the farm and hope we land that 10 year KPF or do we cop it sweet this year and just hope that a pick in the very late twenties ( as it stands ) secures us an AFL quality dime a dozen midfielder in an incredibly strong midfielders draft. Simplest solution is to trade out our 2025 first rounder and I’m sure that’s a conversation the club would be having between now and draft night.
slangman
Has liked: 23 times
Been liked: 9 times

Post by slangman »

Presti35 wrote: Sat Jul 27, 2024 6:32 pm What if Harrison Jones askes for the trade to Collingwood though? We could always play the Oli Henry card that he wants to be close to his mum. Tullamarine is pretty far away... 8)
He’s from Gisborne.

Tullamrine still closer to mum than AIA.
- Side By Side -
stui magpie
Has liked: 71 times
Been liked: 73 times

Post by stui magpie »

@Pies2016 , I get what you're saying, it's a rod we've made for our own back.

I've seen mentioned that we're keen on a pair of Twins from the Murray Bushrangers, The King twins v2.0 or lite depending on your perspective, any thoughts on where they might go and if they're worth trying to get up the draft get one or both?

Keeping in mind that, on current exposed form, McGuane v2.0 looks like a gun who will cost us a high pick in 2025 and we don't know what the rules will be next year yet.
Every dead body on Mt Everest was once a highly motivated person, so maybe just calm the **** down.
Pies2016

Post by Pies2016 »

^^
Yeah, the Whitlock twins. Both had very solid U18 championships. They’re both 200cm forwards but they play them at opposite ends at the Bushrangers, simply to spread the quality at either end of the ground. ( they did the same with the King twins at the Dragons but both play as forwards in the AFL )
Twomey has the first one at #18 and the second at #26, so the club wouldn’t have to do too much to come into calculations for the second one at least. This is the beauty of this draft, the mids are considered so strong, the talls are falling down the order a little further than they normally would. You would think both twins would come into the clubs drafting conversations … as long as they rate them.
Bucks5
Has liked: 2 times
Been liked: 11 times

Post by Bucks5 »

I hear Zurhaar has re-signed with North so he is now off the table too.
How would Siri know when to answer "Hey Siri" unless it is listening in to everything you say?