The Hydra ~ Caro rears her head again

This is a Collingwood Bulletin Board - use this forum for general, Pies-related topics. For other footy topics, use Nick's Other AFL forum, and for non-footy sporting topics please use Nick's Sports Bar. For non-sporting topics please use the Victoria Park Tavern.

Moderator: bbmods

Soudie

Post by Soudie »

I'm a voting member and just looked at the information put up on each of the 11 Candidates - must say a lot of I am, I was, I are but very little on what they want for the CFC (unlike a lot of the commentary on Nicks). For mine hard to select 4 from this - chose 3 and the forth just because I need to - bit sad really for such an important event.
It's a simple game.
MatthewBoydFanClub
Been liked: 1 time

Post by MatthewBoydFanClub »

Soudie wrote:I'm a voting member and just looked at the information put up on each of the 11 Candidates - must say a lot of I am, I was, I are but very little on what they want for the CFC (unlike a lot of the commentary on Nicks). For mine hard to select 4 from this - chose 3 and the forth just because I need to - bit sad really for such an important event.
That's because most on Nicks are grass roots Aussie Rules football followers whereas the ones on football boards are mostly from the corporate world who wouldn't know an oval ball from a round ball.
David
Has liked: 1 time
Been liked: 35 times

Post by David »

Soudie wrote:I'm a voting member and just looked at the information put up on each of the 11 Candidates - must say a lot of I am, I was, I are but very little on what they want for the CFC (unlike a lot of the commentary on Nicks). For mine hard to select 4 from this - chose 3 and the forth just because I need to - bit sad really for such an important event.
Would it be possible to post it here, Soudie? Would be interesting to read what they have to say.
"Every time we witness an injustice and do not act, we train our character to be passive in its presence." – Julian Assange
Jezza
Has liked: 128 times
Been liked: 191 times

Post by Jezza »

Received an email from CorpVote saying the vote will be conducted online. Voting will start from this Friday.

Further, here's a website from Browne and his ticket, which outlines their platform in some detail. I'm sure this will interest many.

https://www.jeffbrowne.club/ourpriorities
🏆 | 1902 | 1903 | 1910 | 1917 | 1919 | 1927 | 1928 | 1929 | 1930 | 1935 | 1936 | 1953 | 1958 | 1990 | 2010 | 2023 | 🏆
pietillidie
Has liked: 14 times
Been liked: 28 times

Post by pietillidie »

^Thanks. That Browne statement is infuriating and about the most disappointing thing I've ever read, and so late in the game at that. Notice it is premised on the delusion that if only the evil powers that be would set us free, we would become winners? It's not that we're backward and can't compete with those bound by the same conditions; it's that we're being held back. More fist-waving, self-entitled bollocks. Most people make excuses after they fail; doing so as part of a campaign pitch makes for an interesting tactic.

In other words, instead of becoming smarter and more attractive as a club, and winning on merit in sensible competition with others, what we really need is for the AFL to allow us to embrace our inner giant slug and smother the competition, rather than developing competitive football smarts and prowess.

This is exactly the approach you'd take (a) if you're hopelessly out of touch with community sentiment, (b) you don't think you can compete on merit or simply don't know how, or (c) you're putting out any old crap you think the dimwits will fall for.

All I see is in the statement is more of that great tradition of CFC failure: bigger and dumber rather than smarter and better. No wonder we're so hated and so unsuccessful.

Who needs to develop the smartest and most innovative football programme in the country when you can just outspend everyone? To keep the comparison going for a moment, that would be like Mike Cannon-Brookes moaning that if only the world created special rules just for him, Atlassian would already be Apple. (Atlassian is apparently already a brilliant organisation and we're not, but you get my point).

This self-entitled loser mindset has somehow worked its way into our genes. Would-be leaders lick their chops at getting their hands on our sheer mass as a club, and can't resist the temptation to swing that mass at the competition in lieu of developing an actual advantage that makes us the best. Too much like hard work, all that competition.

We are already despised because we're thugs. We're disreputable because we're thugs. We're backward because we're thugs. We're a hopelessly unattractive destination because we're thugs. We're unsuccessful because we're as dumb as dog faeces, and we're as dumb as dog faeces because instead of using our brains and developing serious organisational muscle, we shake our blubber at the world. We're the gelatinous, self-entitled slug of the competition that plays violins in its head as it blames everyone else for being unable to compete.

In sum, if I fail it will be the AFL's fault. And I know you'll all fall for this because our greatest talents as a club are playing the victim and fist waving at the universe, talents I will incite as often as possible to keep your grubby hands out of my hair.
In the end the rain comes down, washes clean the streets of a blue sky town.
Help Nick's: http://www.magpies.net/nick/bb/fundraising.htm
Rd10.1998_11.1#36
Has liked: 9 times
Been liked: 5 times

Post by Rd10.1998_11.1#36 »

Well said pietilidie

Now tell us what you really think, and don’t sugar-coat it this time :)
Soudie

Post by Soudie »

This is the only information provided by the club/Corpvote on the candidates.

https://static2.netvote.com.au/be4-prod ... nts-v2.pdf
It's a simple game.
Soudie

Post by Soudie »

Question to the regulators of Nicks. Can we have a poll on the candidates much like we could show preference for coach. Poll would need to permit choice of 4.
It's a simple game.
Lazza

Post by Lazza »

This reminds me cynically of one of my favourite home truths in life:- “After all is said and done, there is always more said than done.” Talk, especially political talk, is cheap. Over the years it has been some the action components that have been lacking. I have recently wondered aloud on Nick’s as to whether Collingwood supporters have the patience to wait and see how it all pans out. I still wonder.
Not too sure that we have many more viable options at this stage other than Browne. Will need to reassess.
Don't confuse your current path with your final destination. Just because it's dark and stormy now doesn't meant that you aren't headed for glorious sunshine!
robevpau1

Post by robevpau1 »

Lazza wrote:This reminds me cynically of one of my favourite home truths in life:- “After all is said and done, there is always more said than done.” Talk, especially political talk, is cheap. Over the years it has been some the action components that have been lacking. I have recently wondered aloud on Nick’s as to whether Collingwood supporters have the patience to wait and see how it all pans out. I still wonder.
Not too sure that we have many more viable options at this stage other than Browne. Will need to reassess.
The fact is everyone has had an opportunity to nominate, and no one else has put their hand up for nomination when the opportunity has been presented to them. It seems the loudest voices are often from those hidden in the dark, sitting in the back row.
Pies4shaw
Has liked: 55 times
Been liked: 87 times

Post by Pies4shaw »

^ You get the candidates that your process permits. The Club does not have many viable options because its process does not bring them forward. The country is full of extremely capable, talented and successful Collingwood supporters. They don't offer to be on the Board - that's a problem with the process, not with those people.
Rd10.1998_11.1#36
Has liked: 9 times
Been liked: 5 times

Post by Rd10.1998_11.1#36 »

^Right

The more things change, the more they stay the same in this case
Lazza

Post by Lazza »

Pies4shaw wrote:^ You get the candidates that your process permits. The Club does not have many viable options because its process does not bring them forward. The country is full of extremely capable, talented and successful Collingwood supporters. They don't offer to be on the Board - that's a problem with the process, not with those people.
So what needs to change in the current process to enable more members to offer their services to the Board?
Don't confuse your current path with your final destination. Just because it's dark and stormy now doesn't meant that you aren't headed for glorious sunshine!
David
Has liked: 1 time
Been liked: 35 times

Post by David »

"Every time we witness an injustice and do not act, we train our character to be passive in its presence." – Julian Assange
pietillidie
Has liked: 14 times
Been liked: 28 times

Post by pietillidie »

^Good one.

The sum of information available is a farce. The pitches look like something mum wrote in the hope junior will be named primary school captain. Only one (marginally) extended statement has surfaced so far, that of Browne, and it's a visionless, self-pitying melange of Bad Old Collingwood tropes. The process has all the gravitas of a church talent night. Shudder. I wish I hadn't peered behind the curtain.
In the end the rain comes down, washes clean the streets of a blue sky town.
Help Nick's: http://www.magpies.net/nick/bb/fundraising.htm