The Hydra ~ Caro rears her head again

This is a Collingwood Bulletin Board - use this forum for general, Pies-related topics. For other footy topics, use Nick's Other AFL forum, and for non-footy sporting topics please use Nick's Sports Bar. For non-sporting topics please use the Victoria Park Tavern.

Moderator: bbmods

pietillidie
Has liked: 14 times
Been liked: 28 times

Post by pietillidie »

MatthewBoydFanClub wrote:
Lazza wrote:The non PC question is “How can Browne get Collingwood to the position of being the most hated football club in Australia?” In our history we have played some of our best football when it has been an “us versus them” scenario where we have had our backs against the wall. Hafey made an art form of orchestrating this. You know Collingwood is in deep shit when the hack media and feral opposition supporters start feeling sorry for us. This happens when we consistently lose. If we ever get to the glory days of when we used to annihilate teams, we will be doing well but team salary cap equalisation makes this task improbable. So we need to start winning more than we lose and slowly start to piss off the Collingwood haters. That will be a great start.
Sorry but I disagree totally with you. If we pursue an us versus them strategy this football club is stuffed. We live in the 21st century now. It's about living with everybody else. Making enemies of Adam Goodes and Caroline Wilson like Eddie did is the last thing this football club should be doing.
Precisely. Being admired for excellence doesn't imply for a second that you're not ruthlessly competitive. We're hated right now, but in a pitiful, contemptuous way that has the best footballing talent running a mile. Our organisation needs to have a halo effect that enhances value, not a tarnishing effect that diminishes it. Ambitious, self-respecting athletes are not going to choose to devalue their careers that way.

Moreover, our us-versus-the-world stance makes us a predictable one-trick pony. We're laughably easy to goad and manipulate, which is why we're everyone's bunnies.
In the end the rain comes down, washes clean the streets of a blue sky town.
Help Nick's: http://www.magpies.net/nick/bb/fundraising.htm
K
Has liked: 3 times
Been liked: 17 times

Post by K »

Jezza wrote:I like some of Browne's stances.
[*] Seek out new long-term sponsors with CGU and Holden exiting the club.

Is it known why CGU are fleeing?

Update: The decision was made after the racism stuff...

https://www.insurancebusinessmag.com/au ... 46170.aspx
Last edited by K on Thu Nov 18, 2021 7:33 pm, edited 2 times in total.
David
Has liked: 1 time
Been liked: 35 times

Post by David »

K wrote:
pietillidie wrote:...
Qn. What is your mental SWOT analysis of the CFC, and where can you best contribute given that analysis?
What do you mean by this?
I wasn't sure either, but a quick Google search cleared it up:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/SWOT_analysis
"Every time we witness an injustice and do not act, we train our character to be passive in its presence." – Julian Assange
pietillidie
Has liked: 14 times
Been liked: 28 times

Post by pietillidie »

K wrote:
pietillidie wrote:...
Qn. What is your mental SWOT analysis of the CFC, and where can you best contribute given that analysis?
What do you mean by this?
Sorry, unclear wording on my part. I mean the informal SWOT they carry around in their head, as opposed to something lifted from a formal document. Just answering this alone and explaining what they bring to the table in relation thereto would tell you all you need about them. It's an interview question: without looking up a document, what is the SWOT you carry around in your head about the CFC?

If you don't make them define the SWOTs, they will talk vague drivel about the club. If you don't make them say how they will deal with the SWOTs, they will talk vague drivel about themselves. It forces them to explain their understanding of the club's current position in context, view themselves as a role player in a team, and prioritise their actions (prioritisation is a great follow-up question, in fact).

E.g., take technology. We're obviously technologically backward, but it takes some serious smarts and know-how to build a tech edge into an organisation. If a candidate failed to identify this in the weaknesses, threats and opportunities, and failed to explain how they will grapple with this beyond the cringeworthy 'I will hire the best in the business', then it's adios. Strategic tech smarts are a basic leadership literacy; they're simply not optional.

This is one reason why I favour Holgate and Febbraio, for starters. Enough with the dinosaurs who make their money through personal wheeling and dealing in the shadows and via mates and fraternities; it's all over red rover for that sort of mercurial approach to business because it will never in a million years build a smart organisation.
In the end the rain comes down, washes clean the streets of a blue sky town.
Help Nick's: http://www.magpies.net/nick/bb/fundraising.htm
Clemo

Post by Clemo »

just voted as a legend’s member
too easy
Go Pies !!!!
Rd10.1998_11.1#36
Has liked: 9 times
Been liked: 5 times

Post by Rd10.1998_11.1#36 »

Lazza wrote:So what needs to change in the current process to enable more members to offer their services to the Board?
Increasing the pool of eligible members and introducing term limits and regular elections, for starters
Rd10.1998_11.1#36

Lazza wrote:The non PC question is “How can Browne get Collingwood to the position of being the most hated football club in Australia?”
Given that Essendon currently hold that mantle, injecting our players with unknown concoctions and then denying all responsibility should do it. We already did the hire & fire an extra champion player part.

So, not sure that’s a path we want to go any further down
Lazza

Post by Lazza »

Rd10.1998_11.1#36 wrote:
Lazza wrote:The non PC question is “How can Browne get Collingwood to the position of being the most hated football club in Australia?”
Given that Essendon currently hold that mantle, injecting our players with unknown concoctions and then denying all responsibility should do it. We already did the hire & fire an extra champion player part.

So, not sure that’s a path we want to go any further down
Lol
Don't confuse your current path with your final destination. Just because it's dark and stormy now doesn't meant that you aren't headed for glorious sunshine!
AJ

Post by AJ »

Just to get this straight.

Collingwood happy to get on its high horse campaigning against sports betting in case a kid happens to sees an advertisement for a service they have no effective ability to access.

Childhood obesity and kids filling their gobs with saturated fats all totally fine and the logo can go straight on the jumper.

If you're going to play the moralising game you need to be consistent.
didick
Been liked: 1 time

Post by didick »

AJ wrote:Just to get this straight.

Collingwood happy to get on its high horse campaigning against sports betting in case a kid happens to sees an advertisement for a service they have no effective ability to access.

Childhood obesity and kids filling their gobs with saturated fats all totally fine and the logo can go straight on the jumper.

If you're going to play the moralising game you need to be consistent.
Yeah KFC surprised me as a premier sponsor. An out of the box, or bucket, combination.
"The night is a very dark time for me" Chaz Michael Michaels
Rd10.1998_11.1#36

It’s fiinger licking’ goo… er, I mean how disgraceful. Won’t somebody pleeease think of the children!
makri

Post by makri »

K wrote:
Jezza wrote:I like some of Browne's stances.
[*] Seek out new long-term sponsors with CGU and Holden exiting the club.

Is it known why CGU are fleeing?

Update: The decision was made after the racism stuff...

https://www.insurancebusinessmag.com/au ... 46170.aspx
I'd say there is more to this on the CGU side. If a company that is as PC as Nike has stayed on yet CGU are jumping ship? Doesn't make sense.
makri

Post by makri »

Rd10.1998_11.1#36 wrote:It’s fiinger licking’ goo… er, I mean how disgraceful. Won’t somebody pleeease think of the children!
Never understood how a brand like KFC can be associated with elite sport but then I suppose Cricket in this country wouldn't be where it is today without the tobacco sponsorship dollars in the 80's/90's same goes for F1.
The General
Has liked: 3 times

Post by The General »

So is it the KFC centre now? If so, I hope they do drive through.
robevpau1

Post by robevpau1 »

Hopefully some nuggets selected in the draft!