Trade Targets ~ Free Agency & MSD player movements

This is a Collingwood Bulletin Board - use this forum for general, Pies-related topics. For other footy topics, use Nick's Other AFL forum, and for non-footy sporting topics please use Nick's Sports Bar. For non-sporting topics please use the Victoria Park Tavern.

Moderator: bbmods

derkd
Has liked: 2 times
Been liked: 20 times

Re: Trade Targets ~ Free Agency & MSD player movements

Post by derkd »

Other clubs are keeping an eye on both Mcrae and Reef. Might be able to get something.

https://www.zerohanger.com/rival-clubs- ... ws-154021/
"To know nothing of events before your birth, is to forever remain a child" - Cicero (Roman Lawyer/Senator) 46 BCE.
Presti35
Has liked: 163 times
Been liked: 59 times

Post by Presti35 »

As it stands right now, our first pick is 31.

https://www.zerohanger.com/afl/afl-draft-order-2024/

If we really want Jack Whitlock (projected late teens) and Matt Whitlock (projected late 20s), then we'll need to make some moves.

If we still had our first round pick (which is currently 8), I wonder if we could have used that to get picks 18 and 19 from the Swans. Anyway!

We'll need to make some moves and I'm not sure Reef or Fin will get us the picks in that range.
A Goal Saved Is 2 Goals Earned!
Haff
Has liked: 7 times
Been liked: 39 times

Post by Haff »

^Reef and Finn will be late seconds at best. Disastrous draft.
The match day thread is for unfiltered BS knee jerk reactions. The time for level headed comment comes after.
Pies2016
Has liked: 5 times
Been liked: 87 times

Post by Pies2016 »

^^^
It was far from a “ disastrous “ draft. It was about the average hit rate for a draft haul, especially when your first pick is 17 and your last pick is 50 odd.
The problem was we couldn’t keep Henry ( albeit we got a trade return ) and delisted Caleb Poulter ( who is now a regular fixture in the Dogs senior team ) McCreery is best 23 and McMahon was a bust. Let’s hope the club doesn’t make the same mistake with MacRae or McInnes like we did with Poulter.
Gary Player “ the harder I practice, the luckier I get “
RudeBoy
Been liked: 73 times

Post by RudeBoy »

If I was McInnes or MacRae I would definitely seek a trade to a club promising regular senior games.
Presti35
Has liked: 163 times
Been liked: 59 times

Post by Presti35 »

Just reading about Dan Houston, who was expected to go to the Dees. But with all thats going on there, that move could now be off. Again, our lack of picks is an issue, but could we step in and go for him?

Were there any other players roumered to go to the Dees, I think Waterman from WCE was another. Or are there any other Dees players that are looking to get out? Wouldnt mind Van Rooyen, Rivers or Pickett :twisted: .
A Goal Saved Is 2 Goals Earned!
Pies2016

Post by Pies2016 »

What I would say, if we do have plans to trade out a couple fringe players, then get the deals done quickly. You want your draft flexibility up front nice and early, so as to either bundle them up and get closer to the pointy end or give yourself the time required to work through any late player movements that unfold.
stui magpie
Has liked: 71 times

Post by stui magpie »

Just a question, considering Carmichael and Murphy have both retired, how many players do we need to delist? I understood we need to have at least 3 vacancies on the list come draft time, so is it just 1 more or is it trickier than that?
Every dead body on Mt Everest was once a highly motivated person, so maybe just calm the **** down.
gurugeoff
Been liked: 4 times

Post by gurugeoff »

Pies2016 wrote: Wed Aug 14, 2024 5:27 pm ^^^
It was far from a “ disastrous “ draft. It was about the average hit rate for a draft haul, especially when your first pick is 17 and your last pick is 50 odd.
The problem was we couldn’t keep Henry ( albeit we got a trade return ) and delisted Caleb Poulter ( who is now a regular fixture in the Dogs senior team ) McCreery is best 23 and McMahon was a bust. Let’s hope the club doesn’t make the same mistake with MacRae or McInnes like we did with Poulter.
well, it is a disastrous draft, There is only one player here who we actually want to play, and coaches are not stupid - the reason Macrae and McInnes cannot get a regular game is that they are not good enough. There is no real class or X factor on show here above what an ordinary AFL footballer would show [yes, to be drafted as an AFL footballer makes you special, but you know what i mean]
Haff
Has liked: 7 times
Been liked: 39 times

Post by Haff »

^trying to work out what happened to the pick we got for Henry, I think it was involved with the Mitchell trade?

That trade gave us the “Luke ball” we needed to complete our midfield and win the flag.

That MIGHT have turned the draft from crimson red to normal red but that’s only from that point of view.

Still, 1 player from a draft where we had so many picks is horrible. When I get a moment I will go through all of Hines picks of the last 10 years because aside from father sons and academy, I reckon he’s got SFA right all.
The match day thread is for unfiltered BS knee jerk reactions. The time for level headed comment comes after.
Simply_Brutal
Been liked: 8 times

Post by Simply_Brutal »

Haff wrote: Wed Aug 14, 2024 6:57 pm ^trying to work out what happened to the pick we got for Henry, I think it was involved with the Mitchell trade?

That trade gave us the “Luke ball” we needed to complete our midfield and win the flag.

That MIGHT have turned the draft from crimson red to normal red but that’s only from that point of view.

Still, 1 player from a draft where we had so many picks is horrible. When I get a moment I will go through all of Hines picks of the last 10 years because aside from father sons and academy, I reckon he’s got SFA right all.
This has been discussed already (I think even within the last 2-3 pages of this thread).

Summary; our only first round success (excluding F/S & NGA) is DeGoey.

We have far more success with 2nd and 3rd round picks than 1st’s. A good reason in itself to not be too bothered by the Schultz trade as we would likely have cocked up that pick anyway.
Pies2016

Post by Pies2016 »

gurugeoff wrote: Wed Aug 14, 2024 6:25 pm
well, it is a disastrous draft, There is only one player here who we actually want to play, and coaches are not stupid - the reason Macrae and McInnes cannot get a regular game is that they are not good enough. There is no real class or X factor on show here above what an ordinary AFL footballer would show [yes, to be drafted as an AFL footballer makes you special, but you know what i mean]
gurugeoff wrote: Wed Aug 14, 2024 6:25 pm
The point I’m making is that we went to the draft and our talent identification team successfully picked three players out of six selections who are currently playing AFL seniors whenever available ( Henry, Poulter and McCreery ) We now know McMahon was a bust and both MacRae and McInnes are question marks at this point.
I don’t call it a disastrous draft when you correctly identify three AFL standard players from six selections ( so I’ve even preempted both MacRae and McInnes as busts ) I agree none of these selections are superstars but thats always a possibility when you’re only looking on until your first pick at #17.
That 2020 draft haul was an “ ok “ outcome on the night but where the disaster unfolded, was our inability to keep Henry and Poulter two years on. Had we kept them both, they would all be playing in our seniors alongside McCreery and all having been from that 2020 draft.
Big T
Has liked: 6 times
Been liked: 58 times

Post by Big T »

It’s sad when many supporters while lamenting giving Schulz away for a first and second rounder, counter that by agreeing that our completely incompetent draft team would have cocked up early picks anyway.

Change is needed in our young talent identification. What we are very good at is mature age recruits, mid season and non traditional pathways.
Buon Giorno
BazBoy
Been liked: 29 times

Post by BazBoy »

There is the usual flurry of players “available “ at seasons end
An example touted ( purely speculation) was this trio. Luke Parker ,Tex Walker & Christian Petraca

Does that raise the chance of 2025 silverware
Then there is the cost to picks given away plus $$$ and current player displacement

We must look at realistic recruiting
I'm not arguing--just explaining why i am right
RudeBoy

Post by RudeBoy »

The AFL website is reporting that Richards has so far not accepted Collingwood's offer and his management are planning on reviewing offers from other clubs, specifically Port Adelaide, before making a decision.

Hopefully he signs on with us, but if not, I will be mightily disappointed, and rather concerned if we lose another classy forward, after being unable to retain Henry and Ginnivan. It would set a bad pattern.