#2 Jordan De Goey

This is a Collingwood Bulletin Board - use this forum for general, Pies-related topics. For other footy topics, use Nick's Other AFL forum, and for non-footy sporting topics please use Nick's Sports Bar. For non-sporting topics please use the Victoria Park Tavern.

Moderator: bbmods

Pies2016
Has liked: 5 times
Been liked: 96 times

Post by Pies2016 »

We just finished 17th. I would have thought that’s as good a reason as any to give yourself the very best chance of playing your best footy.
The grog washes out of the system in 24 hours but the accompanying distractions and stigmas will stay a lot longer.
When was the last time a Melbourne player was involved in any bad press ?
And if it happens tomorrow, at least they’re the reigning premiers, while we remain about 16 ladder spots behind them.
Gary Player “ the harder I practice, the luckier I get “
MatthewBoydFanClub
Been liked: 1 time

Post by MatthewBoydFanClub »

I don’t think it’s up to us to prejudge the motivations of footballers. Who knows what’s in his head. The bottom line is the club is always greater than the individual. Let’s suppose De Goey gets off the charges. That’s a reasonable assumption even though he admits he punched the guy in self defense. Neither the AFL or Collingwood can stop him playing football. De Goey plays out the last year of his contract next year and then the club sits down and has a discussion with him. There will be plenty of suitors for his services. Under free agency rules we get most likely a first round compensation pick if another club picks up his services. That’s two first round draft picks next year. Holds us in good stead moving towards the future without having to deal with a problem child like Jordan De Goey.
think better
Has liked: 1 time
Been liked: 26 times

Post by think better »

I remember doing WHS training a while ago and the trainer put a story to us .

'You are driving along and someone in a red convertible flies pass - you think it is a reckless way to drive. They disappear into the distance.

A few kilometres down the road you see the same convertible involved in an accident with two other cars. '

It's human nature to assume that the driver of the red convertible was at fault - but you simply don't know this. The trainer then made the point that you simply have no idea who was at fault or what the circumstances were.

Same deal with JDG I figure - we simply don't know what really happened but there needs to be a proper investigation to ascertain the facts.
I think therefore I think - I think
think positive
Has liked: 237 times
Been liked: 89 times

Post by think positive »

E wrote:
Haff wrote:
stui magpie wrote: The thing is, he is/was on leave. He's allowed to go to night clubs while on leave as is any other player.

He went there to train, while on holidays. On his own time. Nothing wrong with having a weekend off.

Where he was seriously dumb was letting his reptilian "mate" put photos and videos of him shitfaced up on social media. As far as any alleged assault I'm happy to let that play out in court and the club to decide what penalties to hand down, if any.
Leave or not leave is irrelevant. Represents the club and its values at all times. Again, he is compensated for it. If he can’t handle that, he doesn’t get the big bucks.
and if the club isn't prepared to tolerate a player's (reasonable) flaws (and salary demands), they don't get the benefit of his services and sublime talent. If they are too strict on this, they cant complain when the team is terrible as a result. Moral high ground, or success.

Ray Lewis was accused of murder!!! He also delivered a Superbowl to his team by being one of the top three linebackers of all time. when he got off, they didnt take the high road. I mean he was in the car at the time the murder took place!!!

Michael Jordan was managed through a gambling addiction that saw his father randomly murdered on the side of a highway..... sure it was random. I bet Tiger Woods never did anything immoral either......

Kobe Bryant either raped, or did something very disgusting to a young woman in a hotel in Colorado, but was tolerated because he brought the Lakers 5 titles. so when he got off, they didn't take the high road.

Its not so simple to just take the highest moral ground. Clubs need to win, and they need to keep a squeaky clean image. That sometimes means doing clean up and tolerating a reasonable amount of poor behavior so long as its a defendable position.

he represents the club, sure, but the club also needs to put a winning product on the field. the dilemma has always been thus! Thats why shit players get penalized for bad acts and great ones do not.
wasnt Jordans dad just a random bad luck victim in the wrong place when dickheads came to rob him? he was sleeping in his car because he was too tired to drive? ive never heard that connection before

and kobe got the ultimate karma, shame about his daughter
You cant fix stupid, turns out you cant quarantine it either!
think positive

Post by think positive »

think better wrote:I remember doing WHS training a while ago and the trainer put a story to us .

'You are driving along and someone in a red convertible flies pass - you think it is a reckless way to drive. They disappear into the distance.

A few kilometres down the road you see the same convertible involved in an accident with two other cars. '

It's human nature to assume that the driver of the red convertible was at fault - but you simply don't know this. The trainer then made the point that you simply have no idea who was at fault or what the circumstances were.

Same deal with JDG I figure - we simply don't know what really happened but there needs to be a proper investigation to ascertain the facts.
true, but you saw the way that naughty convertible behaved! recklessly, so if your placing odds...as i said previously i doubt we will ever know the truth
WhyPhilWhy?
Has liked: 26 times
Been liked: 25 times

Post by WhyPhilWhy? »

If you've been passed by the red convertible many times and know that its been involved in previous incidents due to the reckless nature of the driver, then you don't know, but you have very reasonable grounds to suspect...

And if the road, by its nature, makes driving at speed reckless, then you have even more reasonable grounds - granted you cannot know for a fact.
Pies2016

Post by Pies2016 »

WhyPhilWhy? wrote:If you've been passed by the red convertible many times and know that its been involved in previous incidents due to the reckless nature of the driver, then you don't know, but you have very reasonable grounds to suspect...

And if the road, by its nature, makes driving at speed reckless, then you have even more reasonable grounds - granted you cannot know for a fact.
And what would be even worse is if there were young impressionable kids in the car and they had reason to believe the drivers actions was ok
Pies2016

Post by Pies2016 »

think better wrote:I remember doing WHS training a while ago and the trainer put a story to us .

I like it. Is that anything like everytime we get a draft pick wrong, everyone automatically wants to assume it’s Hines fault. No one ever bothers to think that maybe our development program and / or the development coaches sucked.
MatthewBoydFanClub
Been liked: 1 time

Post by MatthewBoydFanClub »

Pies2016 wrote:

I like it. Is that anything like everytime we get a draft pick wrong, everyone automatically wants to assume it’s Hines fault. No one ever bothers to think that maybe our development program and / or the development coaches sucked.
It's like whichever politician you don't like, it's always their fault.
Presti35
Has liked: 200 times
Been liked: 80 times

Post by Presti35 »

De Goey and Henry Ruggs were both at Top Golf in Vegas the same night Ruggs caused a bad car accident. I'm surprised the media haven't blamed De Goey for that too.

Maybe he influenced Ruggs or something?
A Goal Saved Is 2 Goals Earned!
think better
Been liked: 26 times

Post by think better »

Presti35 wrote:De Goey and Henry Ruggs were both at Top Golf in Vegas the same night Ruggs caused a bad car accident. I'm surprised the media haven't blamed De Goey for that too.

Maybe he influenced Ruggs or something?
Or may be it was swept under ............
I think therefore I think - I think
princem007

Post by princem007 »

You can’t fix stupid.

But we can put people around him to protect him from himself.

The club surely must have realised it was a ticking time bomb sending him to USA unchecked and expecting him to be a model citizen with his history.

I’d like to know who makes these decisions and don’t put in contingency plans FFS the guy hasn’t been out of the headlines since he joined the club.

The club should have hired someone located in USA to watch him 24/7 and saying “Hey Jordy pull your head in “ at the appropriate time.

Another example of poor management and decision making by the club to go along with the many others of the last 24 months.

Finishing 17th we need to protect every A grade player asset we have , especially one thar seems to attract trouble.

I understand you can’t watch someone all the time and they need to grow up sooner or later but once again , sometimes you can’t fix stupid so you put in plans around that to compensate for it to circumvent this stuff happening.
Go Pies...Premiers 2010
think positive

Post by think positive »

Um, no!

A minder yes but ge oats for it! He’s a fricken adult! Way past time to grow the **** up
MJ23

Post by MJ23 »

princem007 wrote:You can’t fix stupid.

But we can put people around him to protect him from himself.

The club surely must have realised it was a ticking time bomb sending him to USA unchecked and expecting him to be a model citizen with his history.

I’d like to know who makes these decisions and don’t put in contingency plans FFS the guy hasn’t been out of the headlines since he joined the club.

The club should have hired someone located in USA to watch him 24/7 and saying “Hey Jordy pull your head in “ at the appropriate time.

Another example of poor management and decision making by the club to go along with the many others of the last 24 months.

Finishing 17th we need to protect every A grade player asset we have , especially one thar seems to attract trouble.

I understand you can’t watch someone all the time and they need to grow up sooner or later but once again , sometimes you can’t fix stupid so you put in plans around that to compensate for it to circumvent this stuff happening.
Didak was given a minder by the club after his last incident. Big guy. Worked a treat
"Even when Im old and gray, I wont be able to play but Ill still love the game"
Michael Jordan
David
Been liked: 37 times

Post by David »

^ Seriously? I can't believe clubs actually do that. Sounds like something out of an American mafia film!
"Every time we witness an injustice and do not act, we train our character to be passive in its presence." – Julian Assange