Ex-Collingwood players still doing the playing rounds

This is a Collingwood Bulletin Board - use this forum for general, Pies-related topics. For other footy topics, use Nick's Other AFL forum, and for non-footy sporting topics please use Nick's Sports Bar. For non-sporting topics please use the Victoria Park Tavern.

Moderator: bbmods

Gerry Cooper
Has liked: 111 times
Been liked: 32 times

Re: Ex-Collingwood players still doing the playing rounds

Post by Gerry Cooper »

I thought Lachie Keefe did okay yesterday for GWS barring that shocker miss in front of goal.
We've all heard that a million monkeys banging on a million typewriters will eventually reproduce the entire works of Shakespeare. Now, thanks to the Internet, we know this is not true.�
qldmagpie67
Been liked: 74 times

Post by qldmagpie67 »

He did Gerry he actually held his own in the ruck and won a couple clear taps
If Sydney want to progress further they would be better served playing Adam’s as the ruck and putting Grundy in the stands
At least Adam’s has a heart and will give you his all not stand around adjusting his man bun
Briggs soundly beat him last night until late in the last term when he got a corked thigh
Take_a_Screamer
Has liked: 1 time
Been liked: 11 times

Post by Take_a_Screamer »

Gerry Cooper wrote: Sun Sep 08, 2024 10:54 am I thought Lachie Keefe did okay yesterday for GWS barring that shocker miss in front of goal.
At that stage, GWS still had the momentum but Sydney pressing hard. Getting that goal would have made him a hero and likely won the game. It was a critical miss.
Ash Johnson...you beauty
Johnson Screamer @ https://www.afl.com.au/video/931485/joh ... -epic-mark? ❤️️
stui magpie
Has liked: 71 times
Been liked: 73 times

Post by stui magpie »

^Grundy started channelling Jamie Charman in the last quarter, just belting the ball long at every contest.
Every dead body on Mt Everest was once a highly motivated person, so maybe just calm the **** down.
thesoretoothsayer
Been liked: 14 times

Post by thesoretoothsayer »

Gerry Cooper wrote: Sun Sep 08, 2024 10:54 am I thought Lachie Keefe did okay yesterday for GWS barring that shocker miss in front of goal.
Who feels like tearing their hair out by remembering that, if we had just kept Keeffe for one more year, we would've won the 2018 Grand Final.
Skids
Has liked: 24 times
Been liked: 30 times

Post by Skids »

David wrote: Sat Sep 07, 2024 12:47 pm Yep. Parting ways with Ginnivan was clearly more our loss than his.

People here can call him a dickhead or whatever, but it’s just sour grapes. He performed very well last night, and I have no doubt Hawks supporters feel pretty happy with how this has eventuated.
Yep, and isn't he loving his new freedom... instead of being started sub 5 times last season as well as being overlooked for selection multiple times.
His ball getting ability all over the ground and 1%'s has been huge for the hawks.

His possession average has gone from below 10 touches a game at the Pies, to 17 this season. He's taking twice as many marks and laying 3 times as many tackles.
Interestingly, the side he performs at his best against... is us. Averaging; 21 disposals, 4 marks, 4 tackles and 2 goals against the club that dumped him.
I love watching him play, always did, the kids a gun. I wouldn't be surprised at all to see him strutting his stuff on GF day in a few weeks time.
Don't count the days, make the days count.
qldmagpie67

Post by qldmagpie67 »

thesoretoothsayer wrote: Mon Sep 09, 2024 8:08 am
Who feels like tearing their hair out by remembering that, if we had just kept Keeffe for one more year, we would've won the 2018 Grand Final.
Possibly we could have won
He would have been a massive upgrade on Langdon for sure (who’s errors ultimately cost us the game)
Had we had a fit Scharenberg or Moore we would likely have won
qldmagpie67

Post by qldmagpie67 »

qldmagpie67 wrote: Sun Sep 08, 2024 11:26 am He did Gerry he actually held his own in the ruck and won a couple clear taps
If Sydney want to progress further they would be better served playing Adam’s as the ruck and putting Grundy in the stands
At least Adam’s has a heart and will give you his all not stand around adjusting his man bun
Briggs soundly beat him last night until late in the last term when he got a corked thigh

After rewatching the game I need to correct the above comment
I did Briggs a disservice
He didn’t soundly beat Grundy he thrashed Grundy
Until you watch it a second time you don’t fully appreciate how vital Briggs was to GWS dominance and how Grundy looked completely and utterly helpless against a far superior opponent
Pies4shaw
Has liked: 52 times
Been liked: 84 times

Post by Pies4shaw »

^ Briggs' disappearing act in the second half, when the game was on the line, was a thing of rare beauty.
Pies4shaw
Has liked: 52 times
Been liked: 84 times

Post by Pies4shaw »

qldmagpie67 wrote: Mon Sep 09, 2024 12:25 pm
He would have been a massive upgrade on Langdon for sure (who’s errors ultimately cost us the game)
Just a gentle reminder that Langdon was one of only two Collingwood players to receive AFLCA votes for that Grand Final.

And, of course, when Moore and Scharenberg both played against the Wiggles at the MCG in late July of the same season, the Wiggles kicked 15 goals and Collingwood lost by 6 goals. Moore would have helped in the GF but so would Frampton - I was always a fan of Goldsack but playing CHB in a Grand Final was a bridge too far. The backline was basically full of half-back flankers in that GF (Crisp, Langdon, Maynard, Varcoe, Goldsack, Howe) - even so, Collingwood held the Wiggles to 11 goals (and to 12 goals with the same backline in the previous Final). It wasn't the backline's fault - all of them battled hard against ridiculous odds. As for Scharenberg - well, let's just say that at his absolute peak he made Sidebottom circa 2049 look pacey.
qldmagpie67

Post by qldmagpie67 »

Pies4shaw wrote: Mon Sep 09, 2024 2:14 pm ^ Briggs' disappearing act in the second half, when the game was on the line, was a thing of rare beauty.
Firstly he dominated Grundy for 3/4 qtrs
It wasn’t until early in the last when he copped a cork in his thigh did Grundy actually break even with him.
He got the cork diving into a pack to get a ball. I think Grundy at the time was painting his nails or adjusting her hair or fixing his make up
qldmagpie67

Post by qldmagpie67 »

Pies4shaw wrote: Mon Sep 09, 2024 2:44 pm
qldmagpie67 wrote: Mon Sep 09, 2024 12:25 pm
Just a gentle reminder that Langdon was one of only two Collingwood players to receive AFLCA votes for that Grand Final.

And, of course, when Moore and Scharenberg both played against the Wiggles at the MCG in late July of the same season, the Wiggles kicked 15 goals and Collingwood lost by 6 goals. Moore would have helped in the GF but so would Frampton - I was always a fan of Goldsack but playing CHB in a Grand Final was a bridge too far. The backline was basically full of half-back flankers in that GF (Crisp, Langdon, Maynard, Varcoe, Goldsack, Howe) - even so, Collingwood held the Wiggles to 11 goals (and to 12 goals with the same backline in the previous Final). It wasn't the backline's fault - all of them battled hard against ridiculous odds. As for Scharenberg - well, let's just say that at his absolute peak he made Sidebottom circa 2049 look pacey.
Firstly the vote Langdon got was fro Adam Simpson who recognised they couldn’t
have won without Langdon playing for Collingwood which was correct considering he was personally responsible for 4 of the eagles goals
Scharenberg’s injury was critical he had been close to our most consistent back-man during the season
Langdon on his best day wasn’t for to tie Scharenberg’s shoelaces
The error we made was keeping Langdon and getting rid of Frost years before
SLORT
Has liked: 127 times
Been liked: 60 times

Post by SLORT »

Ben Reid has declared this will be his last year coaching Wangaratta, and is moving to Queensland. I was thinking about him as a possible coaching addition to the team. Anyone have any insight on this? Article is behind a paywall ~ https://www.bordermail.com.au/story/870 ... ueensland/
The Black and White Lion
Has liked: 178 times
Been liked: 65 times

Post by The Black and White Lion »

Don't worry about the border mail you can see a few messages at the link below. Ben led the Wangaratta Magpies Football team to the 2022 Ovens and Murray Premiership including Joe Richards but unfortunately the club was later stripped of the flag due to salary cap breaches. Their profile has been a bit up and down since then but they made it to the finals this year losing the Second Semi-Final last Sunday to the North Albury Hoppers by 2 points.

https://www.facebook.com/WangarattaMagp ... 892103974/
Ed Allen kicked our last goal of the year at the 58minute mark
Presti35
Has liked: 152 times
Been liked: 56 times

Post by Presti35 »

Grundy (Adams?), Keeffe, Oli Henry, Ginnivan.... which former Pie will win a flag in 2024??

Hopefully Keeffe as I dont want the Cats, Swans, or Hawks winning it. (Lions and Port have no ex-Pies?)
A Goal Saved Is 2 Goals Earned!