Pre-Grand Final. Magpies v. Lions. All comments.

Match previews, reviews, reports and discussion.

Moderator: bbmods

Pies2016
Has liked: 5 times
Been liked: 86 times

Post by Pies2016 »

The Pies selectors have definitely picked the best 22 + sub available.
Payne hasn’t been selected by the Lions, so suddenly they become a little undersized in their backline. I feel like this one just tightened up a little.
Buckle up, it’s going to be one helluva ride
Bring it on.
Gary Player “ the harder I practice, the luckier I get “
Magpietothemax
Been liked: 15 times

Post by Magpietothemax »

Really really happy to see Ginni starting the game. There is no doubt that his presence makes our forward line more unpredictable and dangerous. Clearly, we believe that whatever Lippa's exact role in the midfield was, we can cover it for at least one half, and his impact as a sub will be fresh legs and endurace running at a point in the game wthere this will be far more significant than at the start.
News that Lipinski might also be coming on with a slightly different role (due to a different kind of training session) is exciting as well. After the trauma of virtually continuous vacillations, I have ended up very happy with the team we have selected. I think it addresses our structural needs while at the same time there is an aggressive element to it by including Ginni for the entire game.
I am rapt for Ginnivan - clearly his efforts to get back into the team have been rewarded with the ultimate: a berth in a gf team.. he will want to prove, in spades, that the reward was merited.
Free Julian Assange!!
Ice in the veins
Magpietothemax

Post by Magpietothemax »

Pies2016 wrote:The Pies selectors have definitely picked the best 22 + sub available.
Payne hasn’t been selected by the Lions, so suddenly they become a little undersized in their backline. I feel like this one just tightened up a little.
Buckle up, it’s going to be one helluva ride
Bring it on.
Brisbane has named Payne as an emergency, and as yet have not named their sub. Their emergencies are Payne, Darcy Fort (ruck), Jarrod Lyons (midfield) and a forward (Tunstall). I guess they could still bring Payne in as a sub, but I don't know how likely that would be.
I agree - things have tightened up a little - Brisbane hnow clearly has one automatic 22 inclusion not available.
Last edited by Magpietothemax on Thu Sep 28, 2023 6:51 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Free Julian Assange!!
Ice in the veins
derkd
Has liked: 2 times
Been liked: 20 times

Post by derkd »

The 22 matters far less then the attitude.... four quaters of attack will win us the most important game.

Please Collingwood...none of this going into your shell protecting the lead garbage...that is what lost us 2018 ....crush them early...and don't let up till 5 mins to go.
"To know nothing of events before your birth, is to forever remain a child" - Cicero (Roman Lawyer/Senator) 46 BCE.
woodys_world69
Been liked: 20 times

Post by woodys_world69 »

How lucky was pat to keep his spot?

With the early call on Frampton during the week i suspect the coach tossed up between noble and Pat for some time.

GO PIES
uncanny
Been liked: 12 times

Post by uncanny »

Good selection calls.
With all due respect, Noble could never come in at this stage.
Though disappointed for Tay, having both he an Mitchell in made them a bit slow in there. One of those guys is enough as long as he can last the game. Titch has been doing well in the unsung role of getting first hands on it out to a team mate from the furnace.
Frampton to play forward to at least nullify the Harris Andrew intercept marking threat, let the smalls go to work and potentially kick one or two himself. Hell more. Getting Howe up there is a break glass emergency option. He has being doing so well from half back in tandem with Moore in a quarter back role. His kicking to the corridor last week very impressive.
De Goey and Nick Daicos are the key to setting up the win. Keep doing what you are doing Jordy. Dunkley can't stop you. Hopefully Nick can go to his higher level after a solid outing last week back from a lengthy layoff. Crispy and Mitchell to play pivotal support roles as well in there with Mason and Darcy in the ruck working big O over.
Daniher and particularly Cameron have dined out up forward in the past. Stopping them getting on a roll is vital. Would Markov be a better matchup on Cameron than IQ? Stay goal side. Keep with him for pace. Harass punch block nullify and run off him when the chance is there.
Of course mid field battles and team defence to limit quantity and quality of supply forward is a key issue to keeping them quiet . The likes of Hill and Elliott have the potential to be as damaging for us.
Big Mason. He can be the difference when up forward and stamp his career here.
Pendlebury and Sidebottom to continue to be in everything like salt and pepper directing traffic.
We can trust the side to defend well and set up chances for a winning score.
Take on the game and do us proud pies.
11 point win for sweet 16.
woodsmen rule
LaurieHolden
Has liked: 145 times
Been liked: 147 times

Post by LaurieHolden »

Bit of a random Q, has Fly coached from the boundary all year? I can't recall seeing him coaching from the box.
"The Club's not Jock, Ted and Gerry" (& Eddie)
2023 AFL Premiers
Haff
Has liked: 7 times
Been liked: 39 times

Post by Haff »

Looks to me to be about 3:1 tipping against us. God I hope we just smash them. Just straight back to the port game at the G. Just go BANG.
The match day thread is for unfiltered BS knee jerk reactions. The time for level headed comment comes after.
eddiesmith
Has liked: 8 times
Been liked: 16 times

Post by eddiesmith »

LaurieHolden wrote:Bit of a random Q, has Fly coached from the boundary all year? I can't recall seeing him coaching from the box.
I don’t think he has ever coached from the box!!
DT
Has liked: 1 time
Been liked: 6 times

Post by DT »

I think we will use three ruckman - I can see some rotations happening between Cameron, Cox and Frampton which may prove to be a weapon against the Lions.

Ginnivan has been picked to occupy McKenna or Coleman as Ginnivan poses a real goal threat. Given the inconsistent output of Lipinski, this is a good move. It also alleviates the loss of McStay.

I am confident that our backline can stand up but Rayner and Daniher are the two most dangerous players to watch.

Ultimately, if we win at source we can win this game. Fortunately, JDG and Mitchell are in good form now. Add in Crisp, Nick Daicos and Pendlebury and I think we can gain the ascendancy.

Brisbane is a formidable opponent but in Melbourne at the MCG, we should have a bit too much for them. They haven't seen our best team this year and so Fly has a slight advantage there.

I will be sitting in row B of the AFL Members and so will use my voice to support the lads. Cmon Pies, we can do this!!!
Daicos, impossible angle ... Goal!
Said by Zed
Been liked: 5 times

Post by Said by Zed »

Footy’s a funny game.

Pies played Lions twice this year - over there and at Marvel. We lost both but all things being equal if we had won one of those games we finish H&A comfortably on top. Take Bris out in qualifying final at the G, win prelim, and still first into the Granny.

PA finish second and most likely win both finals and limp into the GF.

Dees finish third and probs lose to PA, win and then end up going out in the prelim.

Brisbane end up fourth lose win and then lose in prelim.

We demolish PA in the Granny.

R4 at the Gabbattoir undermanned in key positions, no Cox, no Cameron, flu ravaged, and rubbish about Crispy blown up by the media all week, several Pies have shockers and we lose convincingly by 33pts

R23 at Marvel considerably undermanned again with arguably 3 of our best in Moore, Nicky, and Jordy missing. Jakob Ryan (first game) and Noble significantly exposed in backline resulting in several easy goals. Sidey, Howe, Q and Lippy well below par. They also have a few out but not as critical as our outs. After a bit of a shoot out we end up losing by 24 pts.

We now meet them again, this time in the Granny at the G in arguably much better nick than previous two losses. McStay and Tay out but Moore in, Jordy in, Nicky in, Cox in, Cameron in. No green first gamers. Weak links omitted (sorry Johnny but you were destroyed in finals last year and teams have exposed you far too often and readily) were fitter and mentally fresher. The coaches have done a great job - excellent man management skills getting certain players hungry and firing at exactly the right time and effective game day strategies.

No doubt about it…footy’s a funny game. Although anxious and I can barely contain myself until that fateful bounce at 2.30 PM Saturday, I’m feeling increasingly more confident by the hour that the mighty Pies will prevail in a tight and physical match coming out worthy victors 84 - 77.

GO PIES!!!!!!!
The path of the righteous man is beset on all sides by the inequities of the selfish and the tyranny of evil men...
Magpietothemax

Post by Magpietothemax »

DT wrote:I think we will use three ruckman - I can see some rotations happening between Cameron, Cox and Frampton which may prove to be a weapon against the Lions.

Ginnivan has been picked to occupy McKenna or Coleman as Ginnivan poses a real goal threat.
Agree. I think Frampton's role will be a "third ruckman", which gives him enormous flexibility.
Cameron/Cox will interchange between first ruck and tall forward.
The selection of Frampton has another advantage: because it has such multiplicity in possible roles, his selection actually gives the Lions no idea whatsoever how we will use him, because so many other permutations are possible.
Ginnivan will definitely be a thorn in the side for Brisbane's smaller defenders (Mckenna and Coleman), along with Bobby Hill, Beau McCreery and Jamie Elliott!
Really disappointed that Noble doesn't get a look in. I think John has to think about practising over the midseason another role, such as a small forward, so he can add another string to his bow.
Free Julian Assange!!
Ice in the veins
stoliboy
Has liked: 2 times
Been liked: 47 times

Post by stoliboy »

Nervous as hell.

I love having Ginnivan starting… I think trying to get in front early will see us going a long way to win. Cox in the ruck and Ginny up front.

Lipinski doesn’t seem like a game breaking impactful sub though. We knew Ginny as sub was going to come on and just go nuts… kick goals and throw himself at the contests. I’m not sold on Lipinsk.

Still I back this team for the win. Go Pies!
Sydney Collingwood Supporters Club
http://sydneymagpies.magpies.net/
eddiesmith
Has liked: 8 times
Been liked: 16 times

Post by eddiesmith »

Whilst Noble is unlucky having played every game before finals, it’s a good sign for a premiership team. Noble is a good honest battler and often does his job, but he’s not really at the level to win in September.

It’s the biggest difference this year to last, we’ve got good depth in every position. The difference in 2010 to our previous seasons was we were able to leave out some good honest footballers that did their jobs but were holding us back being elite.
Jezza
Has liked: 127 times
Been liked: 191 times

Post by Jezza »

warburton lad wrote:I love that McRae lives in a 'No Bullshit' world.

No stupid mind-games around selection.
Agree. I appreciate the transparency and honesty from Fly.
🏆 | 1902 | 1903 | 1910 | 1917 | 1919 | 1927 | 1928 | 1929 | 1930 | 1935 | 1936 | 1953 | 1958 | 1990 | 2010 | 2023 | 🏆