#2 Jordan De Goey

This is a Collingwood Bulletin Board - use this forum for general, Pies-related topics. For other footy topics, use Nick's Other AFL forum, and for non-footy sporting topics please use Nick's Sports Bar. For non-sporting topics please use the Victoria Park Tavern.

Moderator: bbmods

MJ23

Post by MJ23 »

David wrote:
Back bucks wrote:If Jordan gets the all clear in the U.S.A and makes it back home in december, do you think the club might review his contract and ammend it with clauses stating he must focus on his professionalism and change his attitude or he is out ?
I would guess that it's a near certainty that that's what will happen.
:lol: how does that work.....gets all clear and clubs says "we know you got the all clear but we want to amend the last year of your current contract to add more terms and conditions that allow us to penalise you if you dont make the changes we want..."
Degoeys manager says Na. Whats can we do ? sack him and pay out his contract ?
"Even when Im old and gray, I wont be able to play but Ill still love the game"
Michael Jordan
Lazza

Post by Lazza »

^^^^

THIS

I can’t see how or why he would suddenly become willing to change his contract or playing terms if he is found not guilty of any misdemeanour except being in the company of a dickhead who obviously doesn’t even respect his own family not to have to deal with this crap behaviour that sullies his family name. I’m pretty sure that at some time in our lives, we have had to make a choice to “unfriend” a person who is a bad influence or a trouble maker. I know I have.
So it’s up to JDG to take whatever steps he wants to if he chooses to rid himself of this dirtbag or otherwise. However I can’t see the link between this and his playing contract if he has done nothing wrong. Before we hang him like a few Nicksters have already done, we need accurate information on what exactly took place and what he did specifically that was wrong.
Don't confuse your current path with your final destination. Just because it's dark and stormy now doesn't meant that you aren't headed for glorious sunshine!
jackcass

Post by jackcass »

David wrote:I would guess that it's a near certainty that that's what will happen.
Nah, no chance.
PyreneesPie
Has liked: 66 times

Post by PyreneesPie »

Lazza wrote:^^^^

However I can’t see the link between this and his playing contract if he has done nothing wrong.
I think the same way as you Lazza, MJ23 and Back Bucks. Providing he is found not guilty (of course!), he needs to be accepted back into the club immediately and strongly advised on how he can avoid getting into such situations again. Like you say Lazza, being more selective about his mates would be a good start I reckon! Here's an interesting article about that - https://www.sen.com.au/news/2018/02/19/ ... r-de-goey/

As MJ23 said, I wouldn't have thought that the club has much power over the terms of his remaining contract, other than to sack him and pay him out! Who knows, JDG might be glad to get out of the place and find fresh fields, where there's a bit of reciprocal loyalty and support from club administration and supporters alike. Many people here seem to forget that he knocked back a more lucrative offer from North just a year or so back to stay with the Pies on a lesser deal.

I can't help thinking of the hilarious account that Swanny tells when he realized he was on his very last chance (and like JDG, he did push the envelope as far as it could go :wink:). He said that Eddie and co absolutely tore strips off him and let him have some very strong home truths. When the dust settled, he said they also made it clear that they would support him in every way possible to help him turn things around.

I would hope that the present administration would take a similar approach. If they are too punitive and self-righteous about it, without also providing some parallel understanding and support, it may not work out well for them, JDG or the team's fortunes going forward.

I believe/hope that JDG will realize his potential, providing he accepts he needs to change some habits and is also given explicit advice on how to do just this. It shouldn't be assumed that he actually knows how to do this by himself at this stage!!! Not all people possess that capability, especially if they're taking a fair while to mature :wink: I hope all this happens with the Pies and not another team.
stui magpie
Has liked: 79 times
Been liked: 91 times

Post by stui magpie »

WhyPhilWhy? wrote:Something eventually clicked for Dane Swan and Dustin Martin - maybe De Gooey is just very slow to learn?
Don't forget Heater and Dids.
Every dead body on Mt Everest was once a highly motivated person, so maybe just calm the **** down.
Back bucks

Post by Back bucks »

The way i look at it , the fact he is undergoing intense fitness training says to me he wants to be a better player and is trying prove how good he is. Maybe Buckley`s NEXT STEP speech is still ringing in his ears.
On my original question about his contract , i wonder if there are already clauses in his contract where it CAN be reviewed by either party if agreements within that contract are breached or not met or either party is not happy. I am not saying he has breached any terms ,but there may be trigger points to review his contract should he misbehave or seen to bring heat on the club. For now , i believe he is innocent and was in the wrong place at the wrong time and await the facts of his case.
I blame my hair loss on supporting Collingwood for 50 years
Magpietothemax
Has liked: 9 times
Been liked: 15 times

Post by Magpietothemax »

Lazza wrote:^^^^

THIS

I can’t see how or why he would suddenly become willing to change his contract or playing terms if he is found not guilty of any misdemeanour except being in the company of a dickhead who obviously doesn’t even respect his own family not to have to deal with this crap behaviour that sullies his family name. I’m pretty sure that at some time in our lives, we have had to make a choice to “unfriend” a person who is a bad influence or a trouble maker. I know I have.
So it’s up to JDG to take whatever steps he wants to if he chooses to rid himself of this dirtbag or otherwise. However I can’t see the link between this and his playing contract if he has done nothing wrong. Before we hang him like a few Nicksters have already done, we need accurate information on what exactly took place and what he did specifically that was wrong.
Very good post Lazza. Agree totally. If he is found not guilty of anything, the club has no right to change the terms of his contract, and nor should we have. However, I have no doubt that there will be some kind of mentoring program implemented to support JDG.
Free Julian Assange!!
Ice in the veins
Rd10.1998_11.1#36
Has liked: 11 times
Been liked: 5 times

Post by Rd10.1998_11.1#36 »

Knocking back on offer from lolnorf isn’t exactly a ringing endorsement of loyalty… there’s a very long list of players who have done that lately, because THEY'RE A BASKETCASE and nobody wants to go there by choice
Back bucks wrote: i believe he is innocent and was in the wrong place at the wrong time.
The time and place were very much of his choosing… it’s a 5 hour flight from LA to NYC. Then he chose to go to a damn nightclub in a bathrobe while clearly off his head AND let videos get posted of it to boot AND then get in a fight, even if nothing else happened

The “we all did dumb shit when we were young” excuse wears a bit thin after the fourth or fifth time. Most people who just got off a sexual assault charge a few months ago would be doing anything they could not to put themselves at risk again. Most people who were in a contract year that could set them up ditto. Most people that had finally generated some positive headlines ditto

But not this bloke. Let’s fly to NYC with my knob mate and risk jail time again, in a foreign country this time.

I’m quite surprised how willing some people are to forgive him again. He’s a liability and I don’t think getting away with it again will change that
E

Post by E »

Rd10.1998_11.1#36 wrote:Knocking back on offer from lolnorf isn’t exactly a ringing endorsement of loyalty… there’s a very long list of players who have done that lately, because THEY'RE A BASKETCASE and nobody wants to go there by choice
Back bucks wrote: i believe he is innocent and was in the wrong place at the wrong time.
The time and place were very much of his choosing… it’s a 5 hour flight from LA to NYC. Then he chose to go to a $$%^%%$ nightclub in a bathrobe while clearly off his head AND let videos get posted of it to boot AND then get in a fight, even if nothing else happened

The “we all did dumb shit when we were young” excuse wears a bit thin after the fourth or fifth time. Most people who just got off a sexual assault charge a few months ago would be doing anything they could not to put themselves at risk again. Most people who were in a contract year that could set them up ditto. Most people that had finally generated some positive headlines ditto

But not this bloke. Let’s fly to NYC with my knob mate and risk jail time again, in a foreign country this time.

I’m quite surprised how willing some people are to forgive him again. He’s a liability and I don’t think getting away with it again will change that
By the way, that's a standard night at PHD for most of us. Its a fun place. I remember one time when snookie was dancing very suggestively with my girlfriend. I didnt get mad, i was just disappointed that my potential threesome partner wasn't a bit better looking.

And when i have the nights you describe, it never once occurs to me that i am going to end up on trumped up sexual assault charges or in a fight with a little man who needs to control his girlfriend...... but sometimes it happens (at least the over protective boyfriend part).

And i'm a lot more grown up than Jordan.

Now that he has been completely exonerated on the sexual assault charges (something for which there would have been no excuse for), I say leave him alone!
Pies4shaw
Has liked: 76 times
Been liked: 109 times

Post by Pies4shaw »

But, just to be clear, no-one on here cares whether you get imprisoned for sexual assault after a night out in New York, whether on trumped up charges or real ones. The reason for that is not because we're heartless but because - as far as we're all concerned - you can do what you like because you're not messing with Collingwood when you do.
E

Post by E »

Back bucks wrote:The way i look at it , the fact he is undergoing intense fitness training says to me he wants to be a better player and is trying prove how good he is. Maybe Buckley`s NEXT STEP speech is still ringing in his ears.
On my original question about his contract , i wonder if there are already clauses in his contract where it CAN be reviewed by either party if agreements within that contract are breached or not met or either party is not happy. I am not saying he has breached any terms ,but there may be trigger points to review his contract should he misbehave or seen to bring heat on the club. For now , i believe he is innocent and was in the wrong place at the wrong time and await the facts of his case.
there will definitely be a "for cause" termination right, but i doubt its going to be as broad as "wrongly accused of sexual assault by a jealous boyfriend!"
E

Post by E »

jackcass wrote:
David wrote:I would guess that it's a near certainty that that's what will happen.
Nah, no chance.
Unless he isn't represented (which i doubt), there is no way he would agree to a contract that has a subjective termination clause. you would value that contract at exactly zero so any other offer would look pretty darn good.
E

Post by E »

Pies4shaw wrote:But, just to be clear, no-one on here cares whether you get imprisoned for sexual assault after a night out in New York, whether on trumped up charges or real ones. The reason for that is not because we're heartless but because - as far as we're all concerned - you can do what you like because you're not messing with Collingwood when you do.
i was wrongly "imprisoned" in Merrimbula about 30 years ago for allegedly knocking down the tall golf ball at the mini golf venue near the RSL. no matter how many times i told them i was just in the wrong place at the wrong time (i was taking a pee nearby and popped out to a whole lot of commotion just as the cops turned up). I had nothing to do with it and was eventually released without charges. If i was a Collingwood player, I'm sure you would assume the worst of me too.

I'm not sure they call it prison until you are convicted mate, but i get your point.
Culprit
Has liked: 16 times
Been liked: 35 times

Post by Culprit »

You can't continue to be caught out in the wrong place and wrong time and still say it's everyone else's fault. Innocent until proven guilty and in saying that there are many guilty people that have been found not guilty in court. The positive out of all this is de Goey's remuneration demands have taken a nosedive.
David
Has liked: 1 time
Been liked: 37 times

Post by David »

E wrote:
Pies4shaw wrote:But, just to be clear, no-one on here cares whether you get imprisoned for sexual assault after a night out in New York, whether on trumped up charges or real ones. The reason for that is not because we're heartless but because - as far as we're all concerned - you can do what you like because you're not messing with Collingwood when you do.
i was wrongly "imprisoned" in Merrimbula about 30 years ago for allegedly knocking down the tall golf ball at the mini golf venue near the RSL. no matter how many times i told them i was just in the wrong place at the wrong time (i was taking a pee nearby and popped out to a whole lot of commotion just as the cops turned up). I had nothing to do with it and was eventually released without charges. If i was a Collingwood player, I'm sure you would assume the worst of me too.

I'm not sure they call it prison until you are convicted mate, but i get your point.
That's a hilarious story. Wouldn't you have needed heavy machinery? Or did they really think you pushed it over with your bare hands? :lol:

Hope you kept the local newspaper clippings about the incident for posterity, at any rate! :mrgreen:
"Every time we witness an injustice and do not act, we train our character to be passive in its presence." – Julian Assange