Trade Targets ~ Free Agency & MSD player movements

This is a Collingwood Bulletin Board - use this forum for general, Pies-related topics. For other footy topics, use Nick's Other AFL forum, and for non-footy sporting topics please use Nick's Sports Bar. For non-sporting topics please use the Victoria Park Tavern.

Moderator: bbmods

Presti35
Has liked: 163 times
Been liked: 59 times

Re: Trade Targets ~ Free Agency & MSD player movements

Post by Presti35 »

^ T Hawkins and others will be off the list, so they'll have money to spend.
A Goal Saved Is 2 Goals Earned!
Presti35

Post by Presti35 »

I recall thinking to myself wouldn't it be great to get guys like Mac Andrew and Leek Aleer (Both after their game winning moments this year). SEN were talking about Leek Aleer and seem to think clubs have circled him as a trade target.
Leek is 23yo, 194cm defender. But I could just be overhyped by him after his heroics against Geelong earlier in the year. Mac wont be going anywhere, but anyone that beats Essendon after the siren is welcome at Collingwood. :lol:

http://afltables.com/afl/stats/players/ ... Aleer.html
Presti35

Post by Presti35 »

Apparently Collingwood have crossed out Lukosius (From Jon Ralph). We were interested in the "Bowes-style" salary dump trade, but that isnt an option.

So i guess Luke is off the list.
piffdog
Has liked: 2 times
Been liked: 35 times

Post by piffdog »

^ if true then suggests we have cap space in ‘25 - which is potentially a year earlier than I thought with older guys retiring.
It's never as good/nor bad as it seems...
WhyPhilWhy?
Has liked: 23 times
Been liked: 23 times

Re: Thinking ahead to 2024 draft...(and beyond)

Post by WhyPhilWhy? »

BazBoy wrote: Fri Aug 30, 2024 11:30 am Will the resigning of four senior players affect our chance of having enough left in salary cap
to pick up a top recruit ??
I'm sure they wont be on anything like the money they were previously on. It may well free up salary cap space, with very capable players locked in.
lazzadesilva
Has liked: 2 times
Been liked: 51 times

Post by lazzadesilva »

^^^^

Possibly but Collingwood seem to be playing their cards close to their chest or have no one in mind yet who they can get from the position they are in? Membrey, Davies, anyone else?
I term the current Collingwood attack based strategy “Unceasing Waves” like on a stormy and windy day with rough seas. A Perfect Storm ☔️
gurugeoff
Been liked: 4 times

Post by gurugeoff »

Pies2016 wrote: Thu Aug 29, 2024 11:08 am @SLORT Cheers. When clubs go looking for “ Moneyball “ players, the whole premise is about perceived improvement and growth in these guys, as opposed to what we all just see in the now. Sometimes the club gets it right, sometimes they don’t but the risk, reward of “ Moneyball “ trades will always have appeal.
do you put Finlay M. in that category then? Is that how other clubs may view him. The reality is, if you are a really good footballer, then a place will be found for you somewhere.
Pies2016
Has liked: 5 times
Been liked: 87 times

Post by Pies2016 »

@gurugeoff AFL footy is so much about taking your opportunities when they present. I think we would all say Macrae didn’t take his opportunities in 2024. You can’t ask for much more than to be a 22 year old inside mid at a club with medium term injuries to the likes of Pendlebury, Mitchell and Degoey in the second half of the season. He got his chances but ultimately couldn’t hold his spot. He wasn’t horrible but it wasn’t enough for him to be continually selected.
I’m not writing him off yet but with the club seemingly focussed in inside mids during the silly season, you would think they also have some concerns about him taking a step up in 2025.
If we’re talking trades ( Vic only ) he’s possibly a reasonable fit for a club like StKilda, who are so bereft of mid field talent, they could play him until their next crop of young mids develop. Maybe Richmond too, given the direction they’re taking.
Gary Player “ the harder I practice, the luckier I get “
SLORT
Has liked: 134 times
Been liked: 62 times

Post by SLORT »

Jake Stringer. 42 goals last year in a meh team, club not wanting to commit beyond the clause in his contract of a 1yr extension.

https://www.foxsports.com.au/afl/teams/ ... d84fec9ef6

Apparently Merrett went into bat after being disappointed in club for not offering Stringer more.

https://www.theage.com.au/sport/afl/don ... 5k6lr.html

Would probably cost us a three year contract, is 31 in Apr next year. Has been consistent, relatively uninjured, perennial whipping boy of a ne'er do well club. Him and De Goey rotating from forward to midfield could really be an explosive combination. Dedoro is goneski, so this may be the year we could actually get a trade done (either Stringer or 2mtr).
GreekLunatic
Been liked: 15 times

Post by GreekLunatic »

Theres a rumour going around that fly had lunch with Jake stringer and his manager
stui magpie
Has liked: 71 times
Been liked: 73 times

Post by stui magpie »

^
The problem with Stringer is he starts the season with a 6 pack and finishes it with a keg. Doesn't maintain fitness and inclined to be lazy.

Having said that, 3 years on appropriate $, not huge, could work well.
Every dead body on Mt Everest was once a highly motivated person, so maybe just calm the **** down.
Mr Miyagi
Has liked: 48 times
Been liked: 113 times

Post by Mr Miyagi »

stui magpie wrote: Sat Aug 31, 2024 2:19 pm ^
The problem with Stringer is he starts the season with a 6 pack and finishes it with a keg. Doesn't maintain fitness and inclined to be lazy.

Having said that, 3 years on appropriate $, not huge, could work well.
You know what, I’m warming to the idea! We can get him cheap, I reckon the last chance saloon would encourage a big preseason to get fit. I’m surprised Essendon delisted him. If we can’t get a big-bodied mid/forward in trade or draft, we could do worse.

Imagine it — De Goey, McCreery, Stringer 😳
stui magpie
Has liked: 71 times
Been liked: 73 times

Post by stui magpie »

^

@Mr Miyagi Stringer hasn't been delisted, he hit a clause which means he's contracted for 2025 but Essendon has declined to extend it past that (at this stage) and (I believe) he's been told that if he wants a longer contract to look elsewhere.

So, he's gettable and despite obvious concerns, I'm warming to the idea as well.

Imagine being able to put Stringer, Jordy and Nick into a centre bounce. It would be carnage. Play him high forward and let Bobby feast on the spills.
Every dead body on Mt Everest was once a highly motivated person, so maybe just calm the **** down.
Charlie Oneeye
Has liked: 17 times
Been liked: 14 times

Post by Charlie Oneeye »

Stringer ?
Pendles/Howe/Sidey/Elliott will all probably all be gone within 2 years, leaving us with a 33 yr old on his last legs, providing he makes it to 33!!!.

On the back of the 23 GF I'm taking our current predicament, but a couple of years ago I thought our list would be forging for the future, as it is, we are treading water.
WhyPhilWhy?
Has liked: 23 times
Been liked: 23 times

Post by WhyPhilWhy? »

I’m a little conflicted mostly coz I believe he hasn’t been a great human being in the past, but the thought of him kicking 6 against the Dons on Anzac Day has some attraction.