Chinese imperialism and future Australian sovereignty

Nick's current affairs & general discussion about anything that's not sport.
Voice your opinion on stories of interest to all at Nick's.

Moderator: bbmods

roar
Been liked: 3 times

Post by roar »

War between India and China wouldn't be a bad result, in my (machiavellian) opinion.
kill for collingwood!
Pies4shaw
Has liked: 55 times
Been liked: 87 times

Post by Pies4shaw »

Because war encourages introspection and personal growth and the people of India and China will emerge as better, kinder people and their leaders will deal more fairly with other nations on the world stage because of having a war?
think positive
Has liked: 216 times
Been liked: 86 times

Post by think positive »

stui magpie wrote:^

And maybe the Prime Minister of India is the man to do it.

https://timesofindia.indiatimes.com/ind ... 433796.cms
good.

i liked that the aussie minister said we wont bow to their sanctions either.
You cant fix stupid, turns out you cant quarantine it either!
think positive
Has liked: 216 times
Been liked: 86 times

Post by think positive »

pietillidie wrote:
think positive wrote:
pietillidie wrote: I predict that when other people are no longer destitute they will compete with us and the self-entitled in our midst will sulk and throw toddler tantrums rather than trying to develop new and productive arrangements, wasting vital time and worsening the situation.

The completely unaware Pharisaism and self-absorption are a joke. Now the shoe is on the other foot people finally care about propaganda and espionage, unlike during the Iraq War, or when mining companies turned the Liberal Party into a lobbying and policy wing, wrecking the environnment and manipulating the democratic process you claim to care about.

What happened to the 1.8B Muslims you were convinced were taking over the planet? Have you somehow overcome the fear of being forced to eat Halal KFC, or did that turn out to be laughable nonsense?
PTID it was not me who started the conversation on halal KFC, i dont eat KFC and never have. I honestly dont know how to defend myself here anymore. but i will not stand by and see myself accused of things i did not say or do. As for Halal, it is a cruel and unnecessary kill method, and i stand by my comments on that.

"The UK Farm Animal Welfare Council says that the method by which kosher and halal meat is produced causes severe suffering to animals and it should be banned immediately. According to FAWC it can take up to two minutes for cattle to bleed to death, thus amounting to animal abuse".

I still refused to buy Halal meat.
My point wasn't about Halal meat or KFC; it was about the absurdity of that whole Muslim panic period in the VPT. There is a history of disproportionate reaction to supposed threats, particularly the latest 'rival' group. People on here actually knew far more about Muslim culture and societies than they do about China; that is, a tiny fraction more than than bugger all.

This exaggerated lurching leads to instability and therefore poor electoral decisions, from Bush and Iraq to Tony Abbott, Brexit, Trump and now Johnson. All of these have been extremely destructive and costly mistakes for the countries concerned, involving lost wars, financial crises, continued economic decline, loss of internal stability, loss of external influence and a general loss of capacity to deal with the adult complexities of the world.

Extreme reaction creates the climate for the election of extremists who only accelerate decline and increase socioeconomic instability. Do people want war with China or do they want mutual prosperity? Because I see nothing on this board that makes me think enough smart decisions are going to be made at the ballot box to ensure your children have a safe and prosperous future.

This is happening before your very eyes. The more you rage about China, the less time you have to understand what needs to be done to make things work, and the more you encourage people to elect Johnsons and Trumps, making things worse.
thankyou for a reply without sarcasm. thats all i ask.

you said "Do people want war with China or do they want mutual prosperity?" do you think China want that? I dont, and i think them buying large parts of Aussie lands shows that. And i dont think we should let them.
You cant fix stupid, turns out you cant quarantine it either!
roar
Been liked: 3 times

Post by roar »

Pies4shaw wrote:Because war encourages introspection and personal growth and the people of India and China will emerge as better, kinder people and their leaders will deal more fairly with other nations on the world stage because of having a war?
That wasn't my reasoning but maybe it would be a long term result.
kill for collingwood!
Jezza
Has liked: 128 times
Been liked: 191 times

Post by Jezza »

And maybe the Prime Minister of India is the man to do it.

https://timesofindia.indiatimes.com/ind ... 433796.cms
20 Indian soldiers have died and China suffered 43 casualties according to Indian sources.

Interesting article below outlining the background to this conflict and how it dates back decades.

https://www.indiatoday.in/india/story/g ... 2020-06-16
🏆 | 1902 | 1903 | 1910 | 1917 | 1919 | 1927 | 1928 | 1929 | 1930 | 1935 | 1936 | 1953 | 1958 | 1990 | 2010 | 2023 | 🏆
stui magpie
Has liked: 72 times
Been liked: 74 times

Post by stui magpie »

^

Yeah, there's good information around about it. Horrible place to fight, freezing cold and so high at altitude you need to acclimatise.

China's been pushing the envelope for a while, "salami slicing" the Indians call it and India's about had enough.

Interestingly, if it did escalate to a genuine conflict, it's not as 1 sided in favour of China as you may think.

https://edition.cnn.com/2020/06/17/asia ... index.html

There's the makings of your next world war right there.

China v India.

USA allies with India, Russia joins in on China's side, large chunks of Europe join with India, the Middle East sits back with Halal popcorn.
Every dead body on Mt Everest was once a highly motivated person, so maybe just calm the **** down.
pietillidie
Has liked: 14 times
Been liked: 28 times

Post by pietillidie »

^It's mind-bending to read about the history. It's like a whole other world.
In the end the rain comes down, washes clean the streets of a blue sky town.
Help Nick's: http://www.magpies.net/nick/bb/fundraising.htm
Wokko

Post by Wokko »

Yeah, there's good information around about it. Horrible place to fight, freezing cold and so high at altitude you need to acclimatise.

China's been pushing the envelope for a while, "salami slicing" the Indians call it and India's about had enough.

Interestingly, if it did escalate to a genuine conflict, it's not as 1 sided in favour of China as you may think.

https://edition.cnn.com/2020/06/17/asia ... index.html

There's the makings of your next world war right there.

China v India.

USA allies with India, Russia joins in on China's side, large chunks of Europe join with India, the Middle East sits back with Halal popcorn.
Not sure Russia would join China but Pakistan might see it as an opening to invade Kashmir. As long as they keep fighting medieval style hand to hand melees though I'm not sure we have much to worry about :lol:
stui magpie

Post by stui magpie »

^

The premise is that the US is already an ally of India. So if India and China got jiggy, India would ask the USA for support. If they joined in, Russia would come in on China's side and the domino's start to fall.

Considering both countries have nukes, I reckon there's a fair chance the weapons would progress past baseball bats. :wink:
Every dead body on Mt Everest was once a highly motivated person, so maybe just calm the **** down.
stui magpie

Post by stui magpie »

So now China has declared cyber war on Australia.

https://www.abc.net.au/news/2020-06-19/ ... s/12372470
Last edited by stui magpie on Fri Jun 19, 2020 10:32 am, edited 1 time in total.
David
Has liked: 1 time
Been liked: 37 times

Post by David »

We can’t tolerate this. Prepare the memes!
"Every time we witness an injustice and do not act, we train our character to be passive in its presence." – Julian Assange
stui magpie

Post by stui magpie »

^

I'm sure you'd think it hilarous if your bank account was emptied. You make bullshit privacy arguments about our government and the Covid phone app, but are happy to brush off an attack by a genuine authoritarian government.
Federal Government agencies believe that China is the nation behind ongoing cyber attacks on Australian institutions, including hospitals and state-owned utilities, in recent months.

Key points:
China is believed to be behind the wide-ranging attacks on Australian governments and businesses
The Prime Minister says there have not been large-scale personal data breaches
The Government will not say publicly which state is behind the cyber attack
Prime Minister Scott Morrison said Australian organisations, including governments and businesses, were currently being targeted by a sophisticated foreign "state-based" hacker.

While Mr Morrison said the Government would not take the formal step of publicly naming which state, senior sources confirmed China is believed to be behind the malicious attacks.
https://www.abc.net.au/news/2020-06-19/ ... s/12372470
pietillidie
Has liked: 14 times
Been liked: 28 times

Post by pietillidie »

Does anyone doubt China is one of the major global cyber espionage players? That's the easy bit. But you also can't trust any particular claim at any particular time without independent analysis because this is a longstanding and ongoing problem.

Why has the Australian government been allowing this to happen with impunity for so long? We know why, because the Glibs are openly an arm of the mining industry and are clueless when it comes to building regional alliances and working long-term strategies.

Let's see if we get more pathetic foot stomping and chest beating or serious treaty negotiation and international partnership, which are of course the only way of making inroads on this globally.

My guess is that the mining companies will allow minor Glib outrage to aid their political investment and grease the palms of global mining capital hitched to Trump's fate, and nothing serious or sensible will be done by the Australian government in negotiation with international partners.

Meanwhile, the Glibs will also play lapdog to that other great authoritarian political party, the vile GOP, rather than do anything that makes your life safer. In fact, the expected process is that they will make your life less safe by (a) failing to do anything serious about cyber security, and (b) using this to ratchet up useless, unproductive, undirected 'clash of civilisations' hysteria, thereby damaging prospects further.
In the end the rain comes down, washes clean the streets of a blue sky town.
Help Nick's: http://www.magpies.net/nick/bb/fundraising.htm
stui magpie

Post by stui magpie »

Misdirection level 1. China launching a cyber attack on Australia is the fault of the Liberal party and mining companies.