Trade Targets ~ Free Agency & MSD player movements

This is a Collingwood Bulletin Board - use this forum for general, Pies-related topics. For other footy topics, use Nick's Other AFL forum, and for non-footy sporting topics please use Nick's Sports Bar. For non-sporting topics please use the Victoria Park Tavern.

Moderator: bbmods

shawthing
Has liked: 5 times
Been liked: 56 times

Re: Trade Targets ~ Free Agency & MSD player movements

Post by shawthing »

I'm sure Stringer would help the forward line. He's a proven goal kicker (something we desperately need). If we can get Dan Houston as well that would make a great trade period. At the very least we MUST do something.
shawthing
Been liked: 56 times

Post by shawthing »

Piesnchess wrote: Thu Sep 05, 2024 1:25 pm Houston, a tough, dour backman,
He's more than that. He's an AA attacking backman. Nothing dour about him at all.

But I suspect we'll miss out on everyone important, because Collingwood sadly doesn't do well in the trade period. Clubs don't want to deal with us.
jatsad
Been liked: 14 times

Post by jatsad »

shawthing wrote: Thu Sep 05, 2024 3:24 pm But I suspect we'll miss out on everyone important, because Collingwood sadly doesn't do well in the trade period. Clubs don't want to deal with us.
That's not true.
Bobby Hill, Frampton, Mitchell were all trades in the one year. If it suits the club, they'll do business.
Jatsad - That is all
David
Has liked: 1 time
Been liked: 35 times

Re: Thinking ahead to 2024 draft...(and beyond)

Post by David »

I wouldn't be giving Keane any smoke over this – he's entitled to explore his options and talk to us; and if the Crows upped their offer as a result then he's also entitled to reconsider his decision to leave. That's all part of the process, and I have no time for arguments that all the power should rest with clubs as opposed to players when it comes to trade negotiations.
"Every time we witness an injustice and do not act, we train our character to be passive in its presence." – Julian Assange
BBHS
Has liked: 6 times
Been liked: 5 times

Post by BBHS »

Us paying to get Keane seemed a bit wrong to be honest. Bloke walked out on us.
Stringer, I'm not sure there is a player I've given more shit too. My hands may shatter into glass if I started to clap his efforts.
jonmac1954
Been liked: 14 times

Post by jonmac1954 »

David wrote: Thu Sep 05, 2024 3:47 pm I wouldn't be giving Keane any smoke over this – he's entitled to explore his options and talk to us; and if the Crows upped their offer as a result then he's also entitled to reconsider his decision to leave. That's all part of the process, and I have no time for arguments that all the power should rest with clubs as opposed to players when it comes to trade negotiations.
David I agree . . . somewhat.

Players put their bodies on the line and give up most normal freedoms to create a worthwhile career and thus deserve respect and a fitting reward for their efforts and sacrifices.

But . . .

Clubs also invest heavily in players making sure they have all the facilities and structure to become successful AFL footballers.

So . . .

In my opinion one cancels out the other and the scales are level.

But . . .

The media and player managers concoct the most fantastic lies to get their way yet if the club is seen to be anything less than accommodating to a departing player they are publicly pilloried.

FAR too much power resides in the hands of player managers encouraging a culture of greed and deceptiveness.

The scales have tipped far too much in favor of the player managers and the gutless AFL are to blame.
BEAMER09
Been liked: 8 times

Post by BEAMER09 »

DeGoey and Stringer between middle and forward … as bruce mcavaney once said ‘delicious’…
COLLINGW09D
Pies4shaw
Has liked: 52 times
Been liked: 84 times

Post by Pies4shaw »

^ Guarantees a senior spot for Sidey for another 5 years - someone's got to do their chasing and tackling for them.
piedys
Has liked: 281 times
Been liked: 66 times

Post by piedys »

shawthing wrote: Thu Sep 05, 2024 3:21 pm If we can get Dan Houston as well that would make a great trade period. At the very least we MUST do something.
The guy would have rocks in his head to want to remain at Port Powder Puffs after tonight's abomination.
Many walk-outs at three-quarter time again. Straight sets coming up for these finals frauds.
M I L L A N E 4 2 forever
Jen2310
Has liked: 7 times
Been liked: 54 times

Post by Jen2310 »

Forget Houston
Get in the ear of Bergman.
SLORT
Has liked: 127 times
Been liked: 60 times

Post by SLORT »

For all those boo-hooing the possible roping of Stringer, take a look at Stengle. If your club is good at people management then one should have faith that they can take a diamond in the rough and with a bit of spit and polish produce a gem. Otherwise you're basically left waiting for a savior whilst you spend years languishing at the bottom of the ladder recruiting talented boy after talented boy. Unless you're saying Geebung is a special case, and we could never hope to replicate what they do.

Looking back through the history I'm reminded of the almost trade that got boo-hood out the door. Plugger. And still people would say "no, no, we dodged a bullet!".

Either we are a great club that gets the best out of our people, or we're not.
Piesnchess
Has liked: 178 times
Been liked: 72 times

Post by Piesnchess »

shawthing wrote: Thu Sep 05, 2024 3:24 pmHe's more than that. He's an AA attacking backman. Nothing dour about him at all.
But I suspect we'll miss out on everyone important, because Collingwood sadly doesn't do well in the trade period. Clubs don't want to deal with us.

I meant dour in the perspective that he never gives up. ever. Dunno bout trade period. we can get em sometimes, lookat Bobby Hill, McStay. two very good trade pickups. :o
Poverty exists not because we cannot feed the poor, but because we cannot satisfy the rich.

Chess and Vodka are born brothers. - Russian proverb.
Big T
Been liked: 57 times

Post by Big T »

Trading I am generally happy with apart from when we trade away our first round pick for an established player, always ends in disaster.

It’s the draft that has let us down either that or youth development
Buon Giorno
RudeBoy
Been liked: 70 times

Post by RudeBoy »

@Big T Speaking of disasters, we have also wasted several first round picks on players who never cut the mustard - the names Scharenberg, Freeman and Stephenson immediately come to mind. :cry:
LaurieHolden
Has liked: 138 times
Been liked: 134 times

Post by LaurieHolden »

@RudeBoy Two of those succumbed to career ending injuries before they got started. When the young Scharenberg was touted by Mark Williams as the best schoolboy prospect since Wayne Carey, no-one was complaining. Freeman was lightning quick and an area we needed addressed.
Stephenson debut season was as exciting as any I've seen. Who knew we'd have not been able to mould his character in line with our culture, even if it was apparent at such a young age.
But this discussion of draft busts belongs in another thread, and already well picked over.
"The Club's not Jock, Ted and Gerry" (& Eddie)
2023 AFL Premiers