Trade Targets ~ Free Agency & MSD player movements

This is a Collingwood Bulletin Board - use this forum for general, Pies-related topics. For other footy topics, use Nick's Other AFL forum, and for non-footy sporting topics please use Nick's Sports Bar. For non-sporting topics please use the Victoria Park Tavern.

Moderator: bbmods

mattdally
Has liked: 1 time

Re: Trade Targets ~ Free Agency & MSD player movements

Post by mattdally »

LaurieHolden wrote: Fri Sep 06, 2024 11:24 am Stephenson debut season was as exciting as any I've seen. Who knew we'd have not been able to mould his character in line with our culture, even if it was apparent at such a young age.
I would argue that Stephenson was indeed a product of the culture we had in place at the time!! We tend to forget that a lot has changed since 2018
warburton lad
Been liked: 46 times

Post by warburton lad »

Ok- So this is how I would approach this Trade/Draft Period- it may seem ultra-aggressive but I believe we need to be aggressive

Our current Draft hand is as follows: 32, 48, 50

1) Noble and Pick 32 for Alex Davies and Pick 20
2) Richards for Pick 37 (Port)
3) Collingwood future first to Richmond for Pick 21 & Pick 39 this year's Draft
4) Bundle our Picks 37, 39 & 48 (1231 points) for Brisbane Pick 14 (1161 points).
5) Pick 50 and Fin Macrae for Peatling GWS (he is out of contract and we can offer him 4 years at, say $600K/annum).
6) Offer Stringer a three year deal and Essendon Pick 72 (they sound like they are happy to 'lose' him...)
7) Offer Haynes (GWS) a two year deal- he is an Unrestricted Free Agent...

** Alternately- we can look at the following two Unrestricted Free Agents from Adelaide- Elliott Himmelberg 200cms and 25 years of age: Ben Keays- Adelaide- 185cms and 89kgs and 27 years of age.
** Unrestricted Free Agent- Harry Perryman- GWS- 186cms- 25years old
** Unrestricted Free Agent- Adam Tomlinson- Melb- 193cms and 87kgs - 31years old- wingman & swingman...
** Unrestricted Free Agent- Jason Johannison- 32 year old- 180cm running half back

In summary:

Outs: Noble, Macrae, Richards and Picks 32, 37, 39, 48 & 50

Ins: Alex Davies, Peatling, Stringer, Haynes and Picks 14 and 21...

Then we can go to the draft, confident that we can acquire two talls (Whitlocks, Mraz, Tom Sims-199cms or Alex Dodson- 203cm ruck from SA)
Firm in the belief that number 17 flag is only months away...
jonmac1954
Been liked: 14 times

Post by jonmac1954 »

RudeBoy wrote: Fri Sep 06, 2024 11:03 amSpeaking of disasters, we have also wasted several first round picks on players who never cut the mustard - the names Scharenberg, Freeman and Stephenson immediately come to mind. :cry:
People keep on bad mouthing the Shazza and Freeman recruitments - both had horrendous, unforeseeable injury runs which simply wouldn't stop. The disaster was through injury not recruiting.

Along those lines losing Swanny to a freak foot injury did as much or more to deny us another flag as anything.
SLORT
Has liked: 127 times
Been liked: 60 times

Post by SLORT »

@warburton lad Sounds awesome, though I think you've been smoking a bit too much hopium in regards to Macrae to GWS (would be even less likely to get a game for them than us), and Essendon taking 72 for Stringer (surely some other club will offer more than that).
BazBoy
Been liked: 26 times

Post by BazBoy »

I saw Nathan Freeman in a pre season practice match at the Richmond footy ground when he first arrived
Mate he looked the goods
I'm not arguing--just explaining why i am right
warburton lad
Been liked: 46 times

Post by warburton lad »

Ok-

So GWS will need points this year so they will take Pick 50 & Macrae for Peatling
Essendon will take Pick 72 for Stringer (he will clear salary for them to pursue another Free Agent)

Provided, for the two above- that they nominate us as the club they wish to be traded to.

That will put us in a strong bargaining position.

An alternate universe might see us trade Macrae to North Melbourne for Pick 40.

Pick 40 to GWS for Peatling
Picks 50 & 72 to Essendon for Stringer
Firm in the belief that number 17 flag is only months away...
SLORT
Has liked: 127 times
Been liked: 60 times

Post by SLORT »

@warburton lad
I think that North has also got an overabundance of young midfielders. Sides that I think may be a better fit for Macrae would be Adelaide, St Kilda, and Melbourne (though I don't think they want to play ball with us anymore...).

Good work though on showing what could be a great outcome for us.

On a side note ~ apparently Sam Mitchell's wife has been helping to sell the Hawthorn vision to possible recruits. No idea how that works but maybe it's time for Lady Fly to come help the team out?
qldmagpie67
Been liked: 74 times

Re: Thinking ahead to 2024 draft...(and beyond)

Post by qldmagpie67 »

There’s many circumstances for a player to choose to leave his current club and join another
The most often trotted out line is homesickness. That gem is generally used by younger players to get home and to a bigger club.
The term “destination club” Is a load of BS
95 out of 100 players choose a new club for financial reasons be it longer deal or more $$ per season
There is a small % that when their careers are nearing the end they’ll go to a club who they think will be in the premiership hunt generally on less cash.
The average to mid tier player will often choose the longer deal with better dollars.
The good player will more likely choose a stronger club where he will forgo a few dollars for a premiership
The stars get to choose where they go and still demand the mega $$
We get linked to players on all levels because it drives up there asking price elsewhere
We are a good bargaining tool for managers
Personally my biggest concern is right now we don’t have any one experienced sitting in the decision making chair. Last time we did this with Ned Guy our cap ended up in disaster and it took 3 years to get right again.
I don’t have faith that we are putting our best foot forward to potential recruits and using experienced negotiating tools.
I know for a fact our presentation to McCluggage was underwhelming to say the least.
Yes the coach met with him but we didn’t have Nick and Pendles and Moore at that meeting.
When you captain and best player and most respected player aren’t there a potential recruit can ask themselves the question am I that important.
Now we mightn’t have been able to get McCluggage over the line even if they attended but we didn’t put our best foot forward.
Right now we have a 4 year deal sitting on the managers desk of Peatling. Obviously he won’t make a decision until after GWS last game but I hope we’ve had Nick Darcy and Pendles all reach out via text or a call at least.
Time will tell if we land a couple needed recruits and move forward. If we don’t then we need to ask some serious questions of this entire year and the clubs decision to allow Wright to go on vacation and job share his job
piffdog
Has liked: 2 times
Been liked: 28 times

Post by piffdog »

qldmagpie67 wrote: Fri Sep 06, 2024 4:07 pm
The term “destination club” Is a load of BS
I agree.

There is another category of player that moves and thats a b-grader who is fading and goes wherever will have him if it means he can eek another couple years out of his career before it all ends for good. This is how I would describe North.
It's never as good/nor bad as it seems...
piffdog

Post by piffdog »

LaurieHolden wrote: Fri Sep 06, 2024 11:24 am
But this discussion of draft busts belongs in another thread, and already well picked over.
Belongs on another forum to be honest. So tiresome...
piffdog

Post by piffdog »

warburton lad wrote: Fri Sep 06, 2024 12:02 pm

In summary:

Outs: Noble, Macrae, Richards and Picks 32, 37, 39, 48 & 50

Ins: Alex Davies, Peatling, Stringer, Haynes and Picks 14 and 21...

Then we can go to the draft, confident that we can acquire two talls (Whitlocks, Mraz, Tom Sims-199cms or Alex Dodson- 203cm ruck from SA)
You forgot Outs: *** next year's first rounder... ***

I actually like your work here - but some will bed wary of forgoing next year's pick. If the club have conviction that McGuane is going to use up our first pick (wherever that is), I dont mind pulling that pick forward to use now.

Good stuff.
LaurieHolden
Has liked: 138 times
Been liked: 134 times

Post by LaurieHolden »

^“destination club”, the most overused and thrown around term to describe a Clubs ability to attract players, along with some romantic notion our own players should be one Club players.
Right up there with every second footy scribe or businessperson currently using descriptive terms such as what the 'narrative' relates to. If I hear that phrase one more time I'll go full Terry Wallace.
"The Club's not Jock, Ted and Gerry" (& Eddie)
2023 AFL Premiers
stui magpie
Has liked: 71 times
Been liked: 73 times

Post by stui magpie »

A Destination club is simply a club that is in the premiership window and has the $ to fork out.

A player who takes good $ to go to a shit team to supposedly be part of their rebuild, has basically mentally checked out and is just getting paid appearance money.
Every dead body on Mt Everest was once a highly motivated person, so maybe just calm the **** down.
Piesnchess
Has liked: 178 times
Been liked: 72 times

Post by Piesnchess »

How about our first pick and Reef for Jake Stringer ?? Is that acceptable or too bloody much. ?? Just asking.
Poverty exists not because we cannot feed the poor, but because we cannot satisfy the rich.

Chess and Vodka are born brothers. - Russian proverb.
LaurieHolden
Has liked: 138 times
Been liked: 134 times

Post by LaurieHolden »

The only thing I'd be offering Essendon is to take over his contract and nothing more than an output based trigger for an additional year if he performs.
Seriously, we don't need to table anything more.
"The Club's not Jock, Ted and Gerry" (& Eddie)
2023 AFL Premiers