Trade Targets ~ Free Agency & MSD player movements

This is a Collingwood Bulletin Board - use this forum for general, Pies-related topics. For other footy topics, use Nick's Other AFL forum, and for non-footy sporting topics please use Nick's Sports Bar. For non-sporting topics please use the Victoria Park Tavern.

Moderator: bbmods

stoliboy
Has liked: 2 times
Been liked: 47 times

Re: Trade Targets ~ Free Agency & MSD player movements

Post by stoliboy »

Might be some Carlton players going cheap.
Sydney Collingwood Supporters Club
http://sydneymagpies.magpies.net/
piedys
Has liked: 281 times
Been liked: 66 times

Post by piedys »

stoliboy wrote: Sat Sep 07, 2024 11:17 pm Might be some Carlton players going cheap.
Binns can't get a senior gig ahead of some of these other spuds; worth a solid look.

Kennedy on the bench looked like he's had a gutful of Voss after getting subbed out; while 8 of his team mates had less possessions than him at that time...
M I L L A N E 4 2 forever
piedys
Has liked: 281 times
Been liked: 66 times

Post by piedys »

qldmagpie67 wrote: Sat Sep 07, 2024 8:23 pm After watching Peatling today he’s a must get
...He’s the type we need
He looked pretty happy amongst the other GWS players when they were 3+ goals up late in the final term.
Don't think they'll let him depart somehow; they'll jettison some other flotsam before him to make cap space.
M I L L A N E 4 2 forever
qldmagpie67
Been liked: 74 times

Post by qldmagpie67 »

@piedys normally I would agree but he was a mid-season pick and is low down there pecking order
He’s been starting sub 8 times this season and only got into the starting side with injury.
They have some good kids coming through as well so he might be surplus to there needs
It’s worth asking the question for sure
SLORT
Has liked: 127 times
Been liked: 60 times

Post by SLORT »

piedys wrote: Sat Sep 07, 2024 11:33 pm Binns can't get a senior gig ahead of some of these other spuds; worth a solid look.

Kennedy on the bench looked like he's had a gutful of Voss after getting subbed out; while 8 of his team mates had less possessions than him at that time...
I think Voss is too much of a blatant narcissist to be a good coach. He is not the type to get the best out of his people because he cannot accept players for their own strengths and projects himself too much. This puts excess pressure on certain player types and removes joy from the game. Buckley had the same issue for a number of years before he began to address it after learning to trust others more.

I rate Kennedy, and I think Voss is actually bad for him as a coach. He'd be worth pursuing if Peatling trade is a bust. Not sure what we'd have to give though.
LaurieHolden
Has liked: 138 times
Been liked: 134 times

Post by LaurieHolden »

Pies reportedly running the rule over former ex-GWS #7 pick and now Melbourne defender Adam Tomlinson who becomes an unrestricted free agent this season.

194 cm (6 ft 4 in)/96kg & 185 game Tomlinson is expected to call it quits with the Demons this year amid a lack of chances at senior level.
He played a key role in the club’s 2021 dominance before missing out on its premiership due to injury.
The 31-y/o has played a combined 32 AFL games in the past four seasons, and he hasn’t played more than 13 senior games in a season since 2019.

He looms as a very handy and cost effective acquisition to fill the Murphy void alongside Moore and a good role model for the developing Dean.
If we can't lure Houston, I'd like to see us push hard on this one.
Or as they say in the El Paso ads, why can't we have both?!
Having both of them would be an immediate and material class upgrade on Dean and Frampton.

Sauce :
"The Club's not Jock, Ted and Gerry" (& Eddie)
2023 AFL Premiers
MatthewBoydFanClub
Been liked: 1 time

Post by MatthewBoydFanClub »

^Tomlinson would be another useless pickup to add to the list of Jack Stringer and Jack Hind. We don't even need Houston given the draft picks we would need to give up.
Mr Miyagi
Has liked: 47 times
Been liked: 112 times

Post by Mr Miyagi »

I’m now very cold on recruiting 30+ year olds, given our veteran list already.

Okay, so we recruit a couple of 30+ and we win a flag in 2025. Woohoo let’s party. But we’ll have half a dozen retirements and 2026 onwards is going to be very ugly because the 30+ players we have are already on their last legs.

If we recruit a couple of 30+ and don’t win a flag next year, we’ll have a dozen retirements and 2026 onwards is going to be VERY VERY UGLY.

I want the club to go hammer and tongs for 21-27 age group players. Trade for sustained success, not a one off flag.
LaurieHolden
Has liked: 138 times
Been liked: 134 times

Post by LaurieHolden »

^thats well known, but without trading out players we don't have the trade currency to obtain the type of players in that age demographic.
We'll need to take on some uncontacted players as a result that won't cost us anything more than taking on their contract / offering them better terms.
"The Club's not Jock, Ted and Gerry" (& Eddie)
2023 AFL Premiers
SLORT
Has liked: 127 times
Been liked: 60 times

Post by SLORT »

Collingwood has 9 players over 30, Geebung has 11.
piffdog
Has liked: 2 times
Been liked: 28 times

Post by piffdog »

^^ a flag in the hand is worth plenty.

1. We win next year and we have the wood over our nearest Vic rivals.
2. There's no guarantee that whoever we draft will get us as close to a series of flags in 3-5 years as our veterans have us right now...
3. Most on this forum would convince you we cant trade or draft for sh1t...
4. We cross that bridge when we get to it, with #17 safely tucked in the trophy cabinet.

Watching these other teams play in finals makes me realise how hard they are to win and reminds me how special last year was. Dining out on the last one is just as gratifying (if not more so) than hoping for the next one to be delivered.
It's never as good/nor bad as it seems...
Piesnchess
Has liked: 178 times
Been liked: 72 times

Post by Piesnchess »

Soooo Bailey smith is on the move, requested a trade, an naturally, the Geebung handbaggers want him, they dont have a salary cap down at Sleepy Hollow Cat land, we all know that one. ! Why cant we get him, and not them.? We should move heaven and earth to get him. or Stringer, Housten. We need a couple of decent trades.
Poverty exists not because we cannot feed the poor, but because we cannot satisfy the rich.

Chess and Vodka are born brothers. - Russian proverb.
Take_a_Screamer
Has liked: 1 time
Been liked: 11 times

Post by Take_a_Screamer »

^^ AFL’s worst-kept secret confirmed (Bailey Smith is leaving Bullogs)

"Smith’s move comes as premiership Bulldogs Jack Macrae and Caleb Daniel, who are contracted until 2027 and 2026 respectively, weigh up their futures after struggling to find consistent game time in the senior side this season." https://au.sports.yahoo.com/afl-worst-k ... 11920.html

This is HOW Collingwood Trade for Bailey Smith...
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gGtG9-pF4PM
  • 1.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Ash Johnson...you beauty
Johnson Screamer @ https://www.afl.com.au/video/931485/joh ... -epic-mark? ❤️️
Mr Miyagi
Has liked: 47 times
Been liked: 112 times

Post by Mr Miyagi »

Piesnchess wrote: Mon Sep 09, 2024 4:32 pm Soooo Bailey smith is on the move, requested a trade, an naturally, the Geebung handbaggers want him, they dont have a salary cap down at Sleepy Hollow Cat land, we all know that one. ! Why cant we get him, and not them.? We should move heaven and earth to get him. or Stringer, Housten. We need a couple of decent trades.
Seven news said Smith has “multiple business interests on the surf coast” down Geelong way.

That’s how Geelong rorts the salary cap
Pies2016
Has liked: 5 times
Been liked: 82 times

Post by Pies2016 »

Media are now saying the Dogs are coming hard for Peatling. Like us, they CURRENTLY have very little draft capital either but the Smith trade, along with a couple others will improve their hand quickly.
I’ve seen some thoughts on Peatling’s trade value and for mine he’s worth a high 30s pick. Now entrenched in the Giants best 23 and was decent against the Swans in his first final. Would also be one of the few AFL players who could say they had picked up 10 coaches votes after only around a dozen AFL games. He’s a perfect fit for our needs and comes with plenty of growth. He’s also in demand, so obviously other clubs rate him too. Not sure how this one plays out. He mightnt go anywhere and if he does stay, then we just move on snd use a reasonably decent pick elsewhere.
Gary Player “ the harder I practice, the luckier I get “