Qualifying Final. Magpies v. Demons. All comments.

Match previews, reviews, reports and discussion.

Moderator: bbmods

mgh3536

Post by mgh3536 »

Can’t help to respond to the conditions predicted for Thursday night

The strength of oliver Viney Petraca brayshaw and Gawn in the centre

Not sure Cameron and cox are answer, if it were dry then cox going forward and marking around the ground is a plus .. but in the wet

Think we need one of Cameron and cox but maybe framptons grunt and strength ..wearing down Gawn

Send Maynard, mitchel degoey crisp through middle v melbourne mids

Get the ball in the hands of noble, pendles, quaynor etc
inxs88
Been liked: 4 times

Post by inxs88 »

Casual suggestions:

1. Start Cox in the Ruck each quarter with Cameron on bench
2. Never have Cox and Cameron on the ground at same time
3. Start Steele as the sub (controversial)
4. Default to ground hack kicks going inside 50 vs 9 iron sky kicks to May & Lever
5. Attack attack attack knowing Dees forwards should struggle to exceed 70 points.
6. Howe on May with a tag
7. Work over Gawn like the Port players have done at every opportunity
8. Drop Lipinski as the unlucky 3rd omission behind Frampton & Macrae
9. DeGoey: it's your time to deliver
10. McStay: it's time to deliver
I love the Pies, hate Carlscum
Raw Hammer
Has liked: 1 time
Been liked: 1 time

Post by Raw Hammer »

Why do people assume Cox is this big weapon in the dry? He double grabs the ball, rarely takes a game over with marking, and is often out marked by the opposition. Probably just as effective in the wet, cos his opponent is less likely to push him under the ball and outmark him. Cox would be destroyed by Gawn in the dry.
Last edited by Raw Hammer on Wed Sep 06, 2023 1:56 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Est. 2002
derkd
Has liked: 2 times
Been liked: 20 times

Post by derkd »

Question, if it is wet weather game....are we going too tall having Cox and Cameron?
"To know nothing of events before your birth, is to forever remain a child" - Cicero (Roman Lawyer/Senator) 46 BCE.
mattdally

Post by mattdally »

I tend to agree with Raw Hammer on Cox. I think he is actually more effective in the wet as he seems to hold his ground better in those conditions. His opponents also need to be sure footed to body him else he will still be able to mark the ball.

Would like to see McStay and Howe on Lever / May. Then Coxy can roam inside 50 when needed. Dees would need to man up on Checkers, McStay, Howe and Cox.

Elliott, Ginnivan, Hill, DeGoey need to be at their feet. Pair them up and back our forwards to at least break even with their opponents and let the little guys run amok.
dalyc
Has liked: 2 times
Been liked: 12 times

Post by dalyc »

John Wren wrote:
swoop42 wrote:On the couch last night highlighted an aspect of our game that had fallen away as the season progressed and I suspect it didn't go unnoticed by many of us.

For mine it'll be one of the biggest indicators early on Thursday night that we have the capacity to flick a switch and the ability to win the game.

What is it?

Forward half intercepts.

From rounds 1-10 we were ranked 2nd. From rounds 11-24 we were only ranked 16th.

So why such a drop off?

Opposition tactics would I assume have played a part but I'm hoping a large part would also be by our own design and after ending round 10 at 9-1 (4 games clear of 9th, 2 ahead of 5th) we attempted to win games of football by playing a less intensive brand because we had earned that luxury.

Perhaps this is wishful thinking but the drop off has been so stark it's hard not to think we haven't manufactured some of it.

Regardless of the circumstances forcing Melbourne in to repeated stoppages inside our f50 not only provides us with increased opportunity to score, it importantly slows down their transition and relieves pressure on our defenders (whilst increasing the pressure on theirs).

I want to see a manic Collingwood unleashed on Thursday night and for all of September.

The moment has arrived.

TIME TO FLICK THE SWITCH.
hello mr swoop42. it’s been a while. i have noticed that in the last few weeks we have changed up our game plan a bit; the style is still the same but we have been moving the ball around the boundary similar to the typically low risk we all know well. one might argue this is because teams have blocked the corridor and prevented us from travelling down the middle but i have also noticed that we have had plenty of opportunities to utilise it and we haven’t. given that we have sat comfortably in top position in the second half of the season this has afforded us to change things up a bit to see how it goes.
It hasn’t helped that our best kick has been on the pine
Four legged animals good, two legged animals better
RudeBoy
Been liked: 73 times

Post by RudeBoy »

derkd wrote:Question, if it is wet weather game....are we going too tall having Cox and Cameron?
Forecast is now for a dry track.....top of 21 Thursday! 8)
Piesnchess
Has liked: 178 times
Been liked: 72 times

Post by Piesnchess »

Gawn is a danger yes, but as a Opposition Coach said of him, -might have been Scott after the Dons belted Melb on the MCG, recently - " the best way to hande Gawn, round the ground, is dont kick the ball to where HE IS, keep it away from him, so he cannot mark it, go round him." Fly, take note, makes perfect sense too me. !
Poverty exists not because we cannot feed the poor, but because we cannot satisfy the rich.

Chess and Vodka are born brothers. - Russian proverb.
Raw Hammer
Been liked: 1 time

Post by Raw Hammer »

…and please don’t kick high and long inside 50. Ever. Just smash it low and fast, a few mongrel punts and finger breakers, and rely on the smalls and mids to do their thing.
Est. 2002
Mr Miyagi
Has liked: 48 times
Been liked: 113 times

Post by Mr Miyagi »

I’m honestly not reading too much into the QB loss. We were hit by the Flu, plus injuries and suspension to key players. And we almost snatched it in the last quarter despite our lack of pressure and intensity.

Stop Viney, tag May out of the game with fast direct kicks, don’t allow Tomlinson to mark without any pressure like he did QB. Bring the pressure, and they’ll fold.
Charlie Oneeye
Has liked: 17 times
Been liked: 14 times

Post by Charlie Oneeye »

Just break even in the middle.

Keep Bayley Fritsch in check.

Keep it away from Gawn.

Keep it away from May.

That's all I want to see,,,and the win, lol.
Take_a_Screamer

Post by Take_a_Screamer »

Hodge recommends Melbourne takes the minsdset that

Collingwood is scared of Melbourne and are fragile prey, WTF

https://www.sen.com.au/news/2023/09/05/ ... llingwood/
Last edited by Take_a_Screamer on Wed Sep 06, 2023 3:22 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Ash Johnson...you beauty
Johnson Screamer @ https://www.afl.com.au/video/931485/joh ... -epic-mark? ❤️️
Take_a_Screamer

Post by Take_a_Screamer »

Charlie Oneeye wrote:Just break even in the middle.

Keep Bayley Fritsch in check.

Keep it away from Gawn.

Keep it away from May.

That's all I want to see,,,and the win, lol.
Do we keep it away from Lever too?
When there's too many guns, it's hard to keep away from all.
Ash Johnson...you beauty
Johnson Screamer @ https://www.afl.com.au/video/931485/joh ... -epic-mark? ❤️️
rad

Post by rad »

[quote="Take_a_Screamer"]Hodge recommends Melbourne takes the minsdset that

Collingwood is scared of Melbourne and are fragile prey, WTF

https://www.sen.com.au/news/2023/09/05/ ... llingwood/[/quote]

Goodwin now trying to play mind games too about comments Fly made.

These scumbags didn’t learn anything from their “All duck, no dinner” comment. I hope our team come out fired up and Maynard smashes through the first contest again to set the scene. Play Maynard on the wing or middle for the first bounce to set the Dee’s back.

When Hodge and Goodwin make reference to the team being soft we need to focus on the ball and go flat stick as hard as a cats head.
qldmagpie67
Been liked: 78 times

Post by qldmagpie67 »

B Maynard Moore Howe
HB IQ Murphy Noble
C Pendles J Daicos Crisp
HF Hill Mc Stay Ginnivan
F Elliott Cox Checkers
R Cameron Mitchell JDG
Int Markov McCreery Adams WHE
Sub either Sidey or Lipinski

Put Cox deep make May stay on him he doesn’t like being held deep and away from being able to be 3rd man up. Tell Cox no more than 20m from goal
Checkers free to lead up then all smalls can run around
Let McStay run up field and Lever to follow. Lever isn’t quick to turn and get back he can be exposed this way
Split them up so they cant leave there man and intercept
When Cox rucks move JDG forward and Adams or McCreery in middle
Use McCreery more in the middle and in the ball only spells forward when Elliott is on ball