Pre-Grand Final. Magpies v. Lions. All comments.

Match previews, reviews, reports and discussion.

Moderator: bbmods

Take_a_Screamer
Has liked: 1 time
Been liked: 11 times

Post by Take_a_Screamer »

Fantastic analysis from ABC Sports. Fascinating charts...
This one's for you Jezza

How Collingwood Magpies and Brisbane Lions can win the AFL grand final

https://www.abc.net.au/news/2023-09-29/ ... /102911936
Ash Johnson...you beauty
Johnson Screamer @ https://www.afl.com.au/video/931485/joh ... -epic-mark? ❤️️
Piesnchess
Has liked: 178 times
Been liked: 72 times

Post by Piesnchess »

What'sinaname wrote:
gurugeoff wrote:just read that Lions have beaten us the last 6 times. Is that a concern, or has it given us a lot to think about and adjust. Working in the garden atm, not used to the sun being out and getting a bit hot - hope that does not become a factor. It is back to 13 degrees one day next week.
Put it another way

If we had beaten the Lions the last six times at the Gabba and Marvel, would it been seen as an advantage to us?

Perhaps, but I know one thing, the more games you win in a row against an opponent, the closer you become to a loss against them. Hopefully the trend changes our way tomorrow. :o
Poverty exists not because we cannot feed the poor, but because we cannot satisfy the rich.

Chess and Vodka are born brothers. - Russian proverb.
Mossi
Been liked: 2 times

Post by Mossi »

Magpietothemax wrote:
gurugeoff wrote:just read that Lions have beaten us the last 6 times. Is that a concern, or has it given us a lot to think about and adjust. Working in the garden atm, not used to the sun being out and getting a bit hot - hope that does not become a factor. It is back to 13 degrees one day next week.
As Jonmac, says, both games were at venues favouring Brisbane (Gabba, Marvel). Even more importantly, during both games we had enormous personnel issues (at the Gabba, no recognised rucks) and at Marvel, all of Naicos, JDG, Bobby Hill, Moore were out. We played with minimal pressure.
I don't think either of our games against Brisbane this year have any relevance to what plays out tomorrow.
Spot on! Combination of Billy and Ginni coming in shows what our intentions are, That ball going in to our forward 50 has to be contested and brought to the ground and there is no better crummer in packs than Jack!
the fuzz

Post by the fuzz »

I am really looking forward to seeing Ginni in GF mode!
I think he's the type of player built for big games.
duggieboy
Has liked: 13 times
Been liked: 3 times

Post by duggieboy »

Take_a_Screamer wrote:Fantastic analysis from ABC Sports. Fascinating charts...
This one's for you Jezza

How Collingwood Magpies and Brisbane Lions can win the AFL grand final

https://www.abc.net.au/news/2023-09-29/ ... /102911936

Thanks for posting, it's very worth the read.

The tactical battle is multi-faceted and a lot like chess in this one, such is the game plan of both sides.

All I want is for us to gain the ascendency for longer! Go Pies!!
jonmac1954
Been liked: 14 times

Post by jonmac1954 »

How many games have been lost by teams having the ascendency and failing to capitalize?

Not most but plenty.

We MUST capitalize and especially early.

A three goal lead at quarter time is almost as useful as having a legal extra player on the ground pressuring every opposition player at every play.
piedys
Has liked: 281 times
Been liked: 66 times

Post by piedys »

gurugeoff wrote:just read that Lions have beaten us the last 6 times. Is that a concern, or has it given us a lot to think about and adjust.
One of those was on the siren by tinarse Bailey [2021?], after we'd coughed up the ball.

We only lost by a goal at Gabba last year, IIRC?

This years margins a little larger, but we were depleted both times.

We are relying on MCG to be the variable, and ****, to gain us advantage.
M I L L A N E 4 2 forever
Ronnie McKeowns boots

Post by Ronnie McKeowns boots »

a mate tells me he thought Darcy was a bit cocky in the interview at the parade, I didn't catch it, did anyone else?

Hopefully not hubris...
"You hate a mean man, a grasping man, a man who wants everything and gives nothing. That’s Collingwood. They are a law unto themselves"

Jack 'Captain Blood' Dyer
GreekLunatic
Been liked: 15 times

Post by GreekLunatic »

I love they were playing the Collingwood chant at training are they that intimidated by it
K
Has liked: 3 times
Been liked: 17 times

Post by K »

Ronnie McKeowns boots wrote:a mate tells me he thought Darcy was a bit cocky in the interview at the parade...
Collingwood mate?

GreekLunatic wrote:... they were playing the Collingwood chant at training...
Brissy? :shock:

Little too much like the psychobabble stuff with Adelaide. Charlie Cameron left Adelaide to get away from that stuff!!
Last edited by K on Fri Sep 29, 2023 5:16 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Ronnie McKeowns boots

Post by Ronnie McKeowns boots »

If we see the Power Stance, look out! :-)
"You hate a mean man, a grasping man, a man who wants everything and gives nothing. That’s Collingwood. They are a law unto themselves"

Jack 'Captain Blood' Dyer
K

Post by K »

^ From which side?

What if both sides do it?!? :shock:
Take_a_Screamer
Has liked: 1 time
Been liked: 11 times

Post by Take_a_Screamer »

Ronnie McKeowns boots wrote:a mate tells me he thought Darcy was a bit cocky in the interview at the parade, I didn't catch it, did anyone else?

Hopefully not hubris...
Hear from Craig McRae and Darcy Moore at the conclusion of the 2023 AFL Grand Final Parade.
Interview of coach and captain from each side...

@15:50 Darcy: "The closer and closer it gets to the game, Brayden Maynard gets more and more excited and starts taking over putting his own music on ... he turns it up about 3 hours before the game. He's got it on full and I always have to turn the bass down."

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lApD6H2xM6Q
Last edited by Take_a_Screamer on Fri Sep 29, 2023 5:34 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Ash Johnson...you beauty
Johnson Screamer @ https://www.afl.com.au/video/931485/joh ... -epic-mark? ❤️️
K

Post by K »

woodys_world69 wrote:
Rick wrote:At this point I suppose it’s neither here nor there but I would’ve preferred to see Carmichael as an emergency. Hard bodied, goal kicking midfielder.
pendles on his podcast mentioned Reef in the list of possibles to replace McStay so sounds like he was closer than Carmichael for that specific position.
Carmichael's been hardly sighted this year. Too risky.

Amazing how Beau and he have parted this year. End of last year, they were around the same in the pecking order.
MagpieWhisperer35
Been liked: 3 times

Post by MagpieWhisperer35 »

I have vision of Ginni kicking winner after siren to have Good Old Collingwood up by a point and Premiers come on never feel confident but can feel it this year
Go Pies