Post Match. Swans sink Pies - All comments.

Match previews, reviews, reports and discussion.

Moderator: bbmods

Haff
Has liked: 7 times
Been liked: 39 times

Re: Post Match. Swans sink Pies - All comments.

Post by Haff »

Hiss wrote: Sat Aug 10, 2024 3:14 pm Sorry to break this to fellow Pies fans, but IMO we now need a new Captain. This is not working out. Our 2024 season is over and our on field capitulations are embarrassing. Our Coaching needs an urgent review. Perhaps we could repeat the interventions that Eddie introduced to help Bucks. We need some really tough decisions now, particularly given the chronically ageing list and shocking lack of depth. Nothing in our Reserves to be excited about. There is no point glossing this over anymore; we are in a death spiral and things will only get worse unless radical action is taken. We need to ask some players to immediately step down. Otherwise, sackings must happen.
Here he is! Lead the revolution Hiss. Storm the gates of the Holden, Westpac, V looking building. Hiss for Collingwood President 2024, biggest election this year!!
The match day thread is for unfiltered BS knee jerk reactions. The time for level headed comment comes after.
Pies2016
Has liked: 5 times
Been liked: 82 times

Post by Pies2016 »

I posted last week, just how difficult it is protect 4 / 5 goal leads at three quarter time in the modern game. That was off the back of Collingwood almost losing that un losable game to Carlton. The next day, both the Giants and Bombers won in the final minutes after coming from well back against their opposition.
Last night, we coughed up a significant lead but this time we paid the ultimate price, just like today when both the Lions and North lost, after both being well ahead at times in the last quarter. We need to get our head around last quarter comebacks being almost a “ normal “ occurrence in the modern game. I’m not dismissing a poor result by Collingwood but it’s worth noting big comebacks are now a frequent occurrence in almost every round of footy. What we shouldn’t do, is to suddenly kid ourselves the current premiership coach can no longer coach or that he goes “ defensive “ too early ( that would involve stacking the backline and he certainly doesn’t do that )
Comebacks are that perfect storm where you have one club ( behind on scoreboard ) who will be forced into taking a risk, while the other club ( leading on scoreboard ) chooses to hold their nerve because following plan A was what gave them the lead in the first place. It’s a real balancing act.
Clubs will get bettter at establishing the tipping point for flicking the switch during a game but right now, late comebacks will continue to remain a frequent phenomenon.. Nothing wrong with being pissed off with an “ unacceptable “ loss but let’s not think it’s a disease that is only applicable to Collingwood right now.
Gary Player “ the harder I practice, the luckier I get “
Piesnchess
Has liked: 178 times
Been liked: 72 times

Post by Piesnchess »

Haff wrote: Sat Aug 10, 2024 4:58 pm
Hiss wrote: Sat Aug 10, 2024 3:14 pm Sorry to break this to fellow Pies fans, but IMO we now need a new Captain. This is not working out. Our 2024 season is over and our on field capitulations are embarrassing. Our Coaching needs an urgent review. Perhaps we could repeat the interventions that Eddie introduced to help Bucks. We need some really tough decisions now, particularly given the chronically ageing list and shocking lack of depth. Nothing in our Reserves to be excited about. There is no point glossing this over anymore; we are in a death spiral and things will only get worse unless radical action is taken. We need to ask some players to immediately step down. Otherwise, sackings must happen.
Here he is! Lead the revolution Hiss. Storm the gates of the Holden, Westpac, V looking building. Hiss for Collingwood President 2024, biggest election this year!!

HISS can only storm the ramparts of ol Victoria Park, the other venues are completely foreign too him. :P :P
Poverty exists not because we cannot feed the poor, but because we cannot satisfy the rich.

Chess and Vodka are born brothers. - Russian proverb.
BazBoy
Been liked: 26 times

Post by BazBoy »

AFL to react to Collingwood coach comment on the 50 meter penalty not being paid
I'm not arguing--just explaining why i am right
Quincy

Post by Quincy »

Our biggest issue is our midfield getting smashed each week. I don't give a rat's tossbag that most of them regularly get in the 20s for disposals. They were torched last night in the last quarter. Even Nick's kicing has gone to pot. Pendles was AWOL, Sidey was the bright light. We can't contend again unless we add to this midfield. Granted our most important mid Jordy was out injured.
ANNODAM
Has liked: 20 times
Been liked: 28 times

Post by ANNODAM »

Adams & Ginni maybe no loss, but they’ll most likely be playing in September.
Tell me we wouldn’t have been better off if those 2 were in the squad?
WE WERE ROBBED, RIGHT IN FRONT OF ME, RIGHT IN FRONT OF MEEE!

N.Y METS, N.Y GIANTS, PENRITH PANTHERS & HOBART HURRICANES FAN.

WE ALL LOOK GOOD AT TRAINING, IT'S THE MATCHES THAT COUNT!
shawthing
Been liked: 56 times

Post by shawthing »

RudeBoy wrote: Sat Aug 10, 2024 2:00 pm Without dwelling on it, I also thought our team lacked real on-field leadership in the last quarter. Where was Moore?
Fair point Rudeboy. It strikes me that Moore is a carbon copy of Fly as the coach. Both are superb orchestrators when things are going well. Both are silver spoon lads. When the chips are down it's a different story. That's when you need a street fighter. I just saw Patrick Dangerfield singlehandedly lift Geelong to victory in the final quarter against Freo in Perth. The man put his body on the line and refused to give an inch. You also made a reasonable point about Nick Daicos. I wouldn't be too quick to hand him the captaincy either. That's what made Nick Maxwell a great Collingwood captain. It wasn't about his talent or his "leadership class", it was about a man who GOT THINGS DONE when it mattered most. Before him we had the great Des Tuddenham. I don't need to explain why he was so great.
shawthing
Been liked: 56 times

Post by shawthing »

By the way Laura Kane has signed off on the umpiring at the SCG last night. Apparently they made the right decision regarding the 50 metres. They are the most corrupt sporting organisation in Australia. The other thing I noticed in the Brisbane-GWS and Freo-Geelong games was normal decision making around the deliberate out of bounds. So WTF happened last night when they called EVERYTHING deliberately out of bounds?! :twisted:
Pete 70
Been liked: 15 times

Post by Pete 70 »

It’s a 50 every day of the week. And the even more absurd bit is the upm calls him back, which by definition means it’s a 50. This isn’t rocket science but to make matters worse sports fans, as he is calling him back, he then yells play on. Beyond $@&^#. Actually about as stupid as hiss’s comments
Dispatches from a foreign land
Cam
Has liked: 15 times
Been liked: 22 times

Post by Cam »

Best to finish 13th now, soft draw, straight back into contention.
Get back on top.
warburton lad
Has liked: 1 time
Been liked: 46 times

Post by warburton lad »

My anger is subsiding...
In retrospect, missing the finals may be a God-send to the Magpies for 2025.
** Gives our players who need surgery the opportunity to get it done now.
** Gives our 'elder statesman' an authentic chance to get some deserved rest
** Gives our recruiting mob undistracted time to get it right (and we need to get a lot right)
** Gives Graeme Wright and the coaches time to forensically analyse need and what the club have and what can be brought in from the outside (the list is extensive of 'possibles'- Tomlinson, Wood, Houston, Smith, Lukosius, Battle and so forth...)
** Gives the coaching staff the opportunity to rejig the game plan.

Spoke to a very successful local footy coach today who has climbed the mountain several times- he has a unique take on our list management for 2025.
* Retain all of the veterans and get them fit for 2025
* Have one last shot with the list, but delist those who are, perhaps, not up to it: Begg, Eyre, Johnson, Bytel (remembering that Murphy and Carmichael are already gone.

His rationale is that we are good enough with a half-decent tall structure up forward and Cameron/Cox sharing the ruck duties,
He believes that if we trade a future first to get up this year's draft we can jag a talented midfielder and then load up at the end of 2025 with Lonie's son and Tom McGuane plus a big free agent with the money we have in the bank from the retirement of many veterans.

Oh, and the talk of Darcy Moore being replaced as Captain is laughable.
Firm in the belief that number 17 flag is only months away...
Pete 70
Been liked: 15 times

Post by Pete 70 »

Is it guaranteed we miss? There are no pagan gods I’m not praying too but the free game helped, and I’m the biggest suns fan ever right now
Dispatches from a foreign land
Hiss
Has liked: 1 time
Been liked: 3 times

Post by Hiss »

There must be consequences for failure otherwise you sponsor it. Not replacing Moore as Captain would be laughable! The Coaching department must be reviewed. We are headed for a train wreck 2025 with a disturbingly aged list. We have no depth and have clung on to veterans too long without introducing the right balance of younger talented players like Geelong did. Doing nothing about this year’s disgraceful failure would guarantee a worse outcome next year and beyond. There needs to be a special meeting of all members called to decide what now needs to be done.
I love this club and I hold anyone in contempt who does not think it is worth fighting for.
swooper
Has liked: 55 times
Been liked: 4 times

Post by swooper »

warburton lad wrote: Sat Aug 10, 2024 7:49 pm My anger is subsiding...
In retrospect, missing the finals may be a God-send to the Magpies for 2025.
** Gives our players who need surgery the opportunity to get it done now.
** Gives our 'elder statesman' an authentic chance to get some deserved rest
** Gives our recruiting mob undistracted time to get it right (and we need to get a lot right)
** Gives Graeme Wright and the coaches time to forensically analyse need and what the club have and what can be brought in from the outside (the list is extensive of 'possibles'- Tomlinson, Wood, Houston, Smith, Lukosius, Battle and so forth...)
** Gives the coaching staff the opportunity to rejig the game plan.

Spoke to a very successful local footy coach today who has climbed the mountain several times- he has a unique take on our list management for 2025.
* Retain all of the veterans and get them fit for 2025
* Have one last shot with the list, but delist those who are, perhaps, not up to it: Begg, Eyre, Johnson, Bytel (remembering that Murphy and Carmichael are already gone.

His rationale is that we are good enough with a half-decent tall structure up forward and Cameron/Cox sharing the ruck duties,
He believes that if we trade a future first to get up this year's draft we can jag a talented midfielder and then load up at the end of 2025 with Lonie's son and Tom McGuane plus a big free agent with the money we have in the bank from the retirement of many veterans.

Oh, and the talk of Darcy Moore being replaced as Captain is laughable.
Second this. Also makes us hungrier ( one would hope) - and come back just like Geelong have this year ( after their 2023 season)
swooper
Has liked: 55 times
Been liked: 4 times

Post by swooper »

shawthing wrote: Sat Aug 10, 2024 7:39 pm By the way Laura Kane has signed off on the umpiring at the SCG last night. Apparently they made the right decision regarding the 50 metres. They are the most corrupt sporting organisation in Australia. The other thing I noticed in the Brisbane-GWS and Freo-Geelong games was normal decision making around the deliberate out of bounds. So WTF happened last night when they called EVERYTHING deliberately out of bounds?! :twisted:
I didn't see either of these games today but if that is the case, then it makes sense that the umps would be more 'gun shy' about paying deliberate out of bounds today after the debacle of last night...