Trade Targets ~ Free Agency & MSD player movements

This is a Collingwood Bulletin Board - use this forum for general, Pies-related topics. For other footy topics, use Nick's Other AFL forum, and for non-footy sporting topics please use Nick's Sports Bar. For non-sporting topics please use the Victoria Park Tavern.

Moderator: bbmods

Presti35
Has liked: 163 times
Been liked: 59 times

Re: Trade Targets ~ Free Agency & MSD player movements

Post by Presti35 »

A few delistings at Carlton today. And also talk of Dusty coming back to play for the Suns next year.
A Goal Saved Is 2 Goals Earned!
Presti35

Post by Presti35 »

https://afltables.com/afl/stats/players ... cardi.html

Are these C-Grade numbers? We know that he is not a proven match winner, but 35 goals in 2023 and 26 in 2024 isn't too bad is it? Ok, he isnt Wayne Carey, but I would say he would be in front of Ash and Kreuger and surely a better suggestion than Taberner and Lobb.
SLORT
Has liked: 134 times
Been liked: 62 times

Post by SLORT »

Career averages:
Riccardi - 10disp, 4.4marks, 1.3g, 0.8b, 1.3tackles
Ash - 7.3disp, 3.3marks, 1.3g, 0.7b, 1.7tackles

An upgrade? Not meaningfully. Remember Ash has been jerked about a bit, same as Kreuger (pushed back, 2nd ruck, key forward, etc). I think Ash should leave for his own sake as I think he'd do better at a club with two strong key forwards (think Adelaide or Carlton). I'd like us to give K a pre-season at full-back to see if he could be a better Frampton.
Pies2016
Has liked: 5 times
Been liked: 87 times

Post by Pies2016 »

LaurieHolden wrote: Fri Sep 13, 2024 11:10 am Hey @Pies2016 do you or anyone else have any eye on Will Phillips development? https://central.rookieme.com/afl/player/will-phillips/
The #3 pick in the 2020 National Draft has not been handed games in this North Melbourne side, despite the team floating around the bottom of the ladder for successive seasons. He is an NFA in 2025 and seemingly struggling to force is way into their midfield.
Being a former Charger, I saw a bit of Phillips as a junior and I know his story pretty well.
He was incredibly disciplined and committed for a junior, something you understandably don’t see that often in 17 year old boys. He was a leader and standards driver in that Chargers outfit.

I know that North picked him partly on the back of his professionalism and preparation ( this was later confirmed by Rawlings who was in charge of their footy Dept at the time ) but I was still surprised he went so high because he wasn’t necessarily a stand out as a player.
He’s also had to cop a lot of flak about being picked one spot before Logan McDonald and although that’s not his fault, North supporters have been very unforgiving ever since.
He’s had some injuries and an illness early days and this season he made a bit of a comeback as a tagger and picked up some quality scalps.
From a distance, I’m not sure he would make us much better but there’s always a story behind the story, so you would trust the club to make the right call either way.

I haven’t checked these guys contract status but if we wanted to add some pace and youth into our line up, I’d be making enquiries about “ kids “ like Josh Sinn ( Port ) and Elijah Tsatas ( Essendon )
Both were line breakers and very impressive as juniors. Tsatas absolutely tore up our VFL team this year and I recently heard Sinn was a bit homesick and disappointed by his lack of opportunities over there. I’m only going by memory here but I think Tsatas was around #5 and Josh was in the early teens in their draft years. Both are Vic metro kids. They’re out there but timing is everything when it comes to players moving clubs.
Gary Player “ the harder I practice, the luckier I get “
Presti35

Re: Thinking ahead to 2024 draft...(and beyond)

Post by Presti35 »

After watching Dom Brew for Werribee today, I got to wondering if he was any chance as a mature aged recruit? His final quarter was amazing and propelled Werribee to victory on a day where is hammered down and even hailed during the match.

He has had 2 good seasons in a row and brings lots of positive energy and emotion to the playing group. I think he may even be one of the faves for the Liston Trophy. He is tough and plays as an inside Mid, he has amazing leadership qualities and was the VFL state team captain earlier in the year. He'll be 28 in January, and at 180cm, some may say he is too similar to Lachie Sullivan for Collingwood to consider.

We saw Clohesy and Mannagh get drafted from Werribee last year. (Kind of weird for Clohesy as the Suns took him right after their VFL team beat Werribee in the GF). Some thought Brew was a chance last year. Could we see it this year?

https://vfl.aflmstats.com/player/Dominic_Brew
Presti35

Post by Presti35 »

I think the difference is that Riccardi is playing and would be in GWS best 23 if not injured. 19 games this year for 26 goals whilst playing behind the Coleman Medal winner isn't too bad. I dont think Riccardi would want to leave anyway. We're also comparing 69 games to 27.

Ash had a huge opportunity to come in with McStay out all year. Maybe we expected too much of him after showing very promising signs in 2023. He may have even played in the GF had he not been injured late in the year. His PF performance in 2022 was somewhat rectified with his numbers in 2023, but the 3 games he played in 2024 were just plain bad.

I guess one way to look at it, is would Riccardi have played 19 or more games if he were at Collingwood in 2024? And do we still have hope that Ash can get back to what he showed in 2023?
Gerry Cooper
Has liked: 117 times
Been liked: 33 times

Post by Gerry Cooper »

I would say after Peatling's good performances in two finals now, he won't be leaving the Giants
We've all heard that a million monkeys banging on a million typewriters will eventually reproduce the entire works of Shakespeare. Now, thanks to the Internet, we know this is not true.�
Jen2310
Has liked: 7 times

Post by Jen2310 »

David Zita said on fox during this GWS game, Peatling is most likely staying now.
think positive
Has liked: 212 times
Been liked: 84 times

Post by think positive »

I wonder if Jessie Hogan wants out after that debacle!
You cant fix stupid, turns out you cant quarantine it either!
Jen2310

Post by Jen2310 »

Presti35 wrote: Sat Sep 14, 2024 6:59 pm After watching Dom Brew for Werribee today, I got to wondering if he was any chance as a mature aged recruit?
He's 28 in January. Probably too old now.
Jen2310

Post by Jen2310 »

think positive wrote: Sat Sep 14, 2024 10:32 pm I wonder if Jessie Hogan wants out after that debacle!
If he did, he would never come back to melb. There is a reason why he wanted to live in Sydney.
Out of the footy bubble.
Plus he just signed a new contract.
He'll retire at GWS
qldmagpie67
Been liked: 78 times

Post by qldmagpie67 »

Jen2310 wrote: Sat Sep 14, 2024 9:38 pm David Zita said on fox during this GWS game, Peatling is most likely staying now.
It’s possibly but he’s going to have to take less money and less game time
They have midfield options galore plus a couple academy kids coming through
There cap is super tight so a decent offer on longer terms may be more enticing to stay
He hasn’t done his chances of a upgraded offer any harm
Last I heard GWS offer was 2 years on around $325k plus some incentives which better the his current deal with is close to minimum wage plus match payments
I know our offer was 4 years on about $400k with a couple incentive triggers to take his wage up closer to $500k
We might have to up our offer to 5 years and put the base up to the $500k mark without the incentives
The kid can play a variety of roles from lock down/% run with to inside mid and is a decent kick and tackles well
If we don’t land him then we will be left with Hobbs as our only option
SLORT

Post by SLORT »

qldmagpie67 wrote: Sun Sep 15, 2024 12:02 pm The kid can play a variety of roles from lock down/% run with to inside mid and is a decent kick and tackles well
I was seeing him as a bit of a longer term replacement for WHE though I notice wiki has him listed at 182cm. Club has him at 186cm though, so I don't know which is correct.
Presti35

Post by Presti35 »

^ Possibly. But 2 years could be enough for him to help a young side or even play a part in a team looking to finish top 4. It'd be a great story. At Collingwood, you'd think Sullivan, Fin and even Bytel are already here. So I dont think he'd be a fit for us.
SLORT

Post by SLORT »

Anyone know anything about Jarrod Brander. Played 22 games for WC and 5 for GWS. Now playing in the Sunraysia League, kicked 5 goals for the runner up. 195cm 92kg, looks pretty good in the WC highlights package ~

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OwF7lb5mpgE

https://www.afl.com.au/news/945266/fun- ... e-of-footy

92 goals from 20 games this season, for what it's worth.