Trade Targets ~ Free Agency & MSD player movements

This is a Collingwood Bulletin Board - use this forum for general, Pies-related topics. For other footy topics, use Nick's Other AFL forum, and for non-footy sporting topics please use Nick's Sports Bar. For non-sporting topics please use the Victoria Park Tavern.

Moderator: bbmods

piffdog
Has liked: 2 times
Been liked: 35 times

Re: Trade Targets ~ Free Agency & MSD player movements

Post by piffdog »

Kennedy (Carlton) has been told to look for a new home. Is he the kind of "poor mans Cripps" we would like to see in the middle? Ignoring the potential cost (wouldnt be much), I think he would be additive to our midfield (an upgrade on Lipinski and Sullivan etc) and potentially keep Mitchell out of the team. 27yo, 188cm. Probably just played his best season. Could be a nice "guardian" for our man Nick.
It's never as good/nor bad as it seems...
LaurieHolden
Has liked: 148 times
Been liked: 151 times

Post by LaurieHolden »

@piffdog While I agree with the premise, he's similar to Jack Macrae & Jack Bytel. Too one paced to break lines, a below average kick and lacks elite hands to be a reliable distributor to outside runners.
Perhaps too similar to Long? You would expect him to be an upgrade on Long, but is he worth twice or 3x the price?

AFL Tables
https://afltables.com/afl/stats/players ... edy1.html

Player Statistics Comparison
https://www.footywire.com/afl/footy/ft_ ... 1=C&fid2=C
"The Club's not Jock, Ted and Gerry" (& Eddie)
2023 AFL Premiers
LaurieHolden

Post by LaurieHolden »

LaurieHolden wrote: Thu Sep 12, 2024 5:41 am
Jen2310 wrote: Wed Sep 11, 2024 9:27 pm Sam Edmund reporting on SEN today that we are in the mix (along with some other clubs) for Harry Perryman.
I can't say I've paid much attention to when he plays lol
I'd heed Chris de Burgh's warning -
Don't pay the Perryman
Until he gets you to the other side
According to Sam Edmunds from SEN today, Port have tabled a 7-year contract for Harry Perryman!!
2023 AFL Premiers
Presti35
Has liked: 163 times
Been liked: 59 times

Post by Presti35 »

Well that'll be Perryman off the table for us then. And with Stringer also gone, who will be the next player we're linked to? (Wonder where Stringer will end up?).
A Goal Saved Is 2 Goals Earned!
piffdog
Has liked: 2 times
Been liked: 35 times

Post by piffdog »

7 years for Perryman seems like a big ticket. Maybe he's a better prospect than I thought or alternatively you have to pay a 30% premium to pry these guys out of their existing roles. If that's the case, what is Houston going to cost? I suppose the difference is he potentially wants out so he can return to Melb/Vic.
It's never as good/nor bad as it seems...
Pies2016
Has liked: 5 times
Been liked: 87 times

Post by Pies2016 »

As supporters, we’re going to need to be both patient and rational when it comes to the rumours surrounding players swapping clubs or not. Every year, offers to players to leave their parent clubs, are becoming more outlandish and out of touch, when compared to their true worth. Our club can either join that circus and act irresponsibly or just hold their nerve and focus on player acquisitions that don’t derail the salary cap or hamstring our medium term list management.
Whether right or wrong, the club has decided it’s a real chance to snag a flag in 2025, so there will be a player or two added onto our list in the coming weeks. The key is to be responsible with their contracts in the process. The easiest way to put a player out of joint is to have them believe they aren’t getting paid what they are worth, while others are getting overs for doing less.

F W I W, I wouldn’t be getting to bent out of shape just yet because three weeks out from the start of the trade period, nobody has committed to Collingwood yet. There’s a lot of water to go under the bridge before this trade period is done.
Gary Player “ the harder I practice, the luckier I get “
Magpie Russ
Has liked: 23 times
Been liked: 15 times

Post by Magpie Russ »

Pies2016 wrote: Tue Sep 17, 2024 12:10 pmAs supporters, we’re going to need to be both patient and rational when it comes to the rumours surrounding players swapping clubs or not.
This is the silly season so I am going to be impatient and irrational!
(and stop making sense)
Magpie Russ
Has liked: 23 times
Been liked: 15 times

Post by Magpie Russ »

If we could this is the player we should be going after: Isaac Cumming is going: Giants star to explore free agency move
https://www.afl.com.au/news/1222647/gre ... move-to-sa

Seems he wants to go to SA.
warburton lad
Has liked: 1 time
Been liked: 46 times

Post by warburton lad »

I agree 100%

Isaac Cumming would be a fabulous get for our club (Unrestricted Free Agent)
188cms and 80kgs and only 26 years old- perfect demographic for us.

If we could add Jake Stringer (cheap trade) and Nick Haynes (Unrestricted Free Agent) we would have addressed a few of our list holes and done so on the cheap.

Hell, if they are looking at all chips in for 2025, delisted Matt Taberner might be worth a roll of the dice...

Be brave, magpies.
Firm in the belief that number 17 flag is only months away...
jatsad
Been liked: 14 times

Post by jatsad »

warburton lad wrote: Tue Sep 17, 2024 12:56 pm^
Cummings is going to SA.
The others, you can chuck away, especially Taberner.
Just no good and too old.
Haynes at 32, enough said.
Jatsad - That is all
Pies2016
Has liked: 5 times
Been liked: 87 times

Post by Pies2016 »

As an aside, Nick Haynes, who was a wonderful footballer 5 years ago, has a unique medical condition that now impacts his ability to ever be at his best again. As an AFL player, he had taken so much anti inflammatory medication, it compromised his stomach and oesophagus linings. He now struggles constantly with ulcers and the perfect dietary preparation required by an elite AFL player. It’s “ public “ knowledge but given his decline in recent years, I’m not sure I’d be looking at Nick as the great white hope to take us forward.
Gary Player “ the harder I practice, the luckier I get “
Presti35

Post by Presti35 »

LaurieHolden wrote: Tue Sep 17, 2024 9:27 am @piffdog While I agree with the premise, he's similar to Jack Macrae & Jack Bytel.
Hard to compare 29 games (Bytel) to 118 (Kennedy).

Im looking at 2024 Kennedy and see 81 tackles, 16 goals, but only 11 games with over 20 disposals. 4 games were subbed on or off. 81 tackles and 16 goals though... I want to know why Carlton are keen to send him off. He is contracted until the end of 2025... so it cant be a money issue?

https://www.ntnews.com.au/sport/afl/fum ... 8cccf2a3e7
The above article is an interesting read. I'll leave it to you guys, to see what you think.
Presti35

Post by Presti35 »

If the Cats drop Shannon Neale for Hawkings, I wonder if another club could snag him? What would be better is if they dropped Oli Henry for Hawkins.
WaggaPie
Been liked: 4 times

Post by WaggaPie »

"Bam Bam" Kennedy would be a good get. Great guy, mature body who just needs some clarity of role and feel wanted. Was lost with Teague’s riddled filled rants and Voss’ noted lack of connection.
Not being biased just know he’s a honest good lad who would have buy in to flys brand.
Magpies supporters drink at The Riv
LaurieHolden

Post by LaurieHolden »

Presti35 wrote: Tue Sep 17, 2024 9:46 pmKennedy ... I want to know why Carlton are keen to send him off. He is contracted until the end of 2025... so it can't be a money issue?
From the dark side ~
‘Kennedy hasn't been pushed out the door.
Apparently, he has been told his time in the midfield (where he would prefer to play) is going to be limited.
Our on-ball group, we never run the ball from stoppage, not since we got rid of Dow. We never run opposition players down, well Walsh does but the rest can't and don't. The best teams in the game close on you or the loose ball so damn quick compares to us it's not funny. Teams just run the ball out of stoppages so much it's embarrassing how we can't run them down.

We have added a bit of pace to the backline and that's it. The on-ball group and the forward line doesn't have much.

Cat's are the best in the business. Hawthorn, Collingwood and Sydney have dominated this competition for decades. Levels above us on all aspects.
We aren't trading Kennedy because we don't rate him. We are trading him because we can offload a big slow mid and it won't affect us and he has trade value.
Kennedy is now painted as a kicking liability, and we are fine with him going
We all agree it’s not working hence the change with Kennedy... not saying that’s gonna make the mix great or even if Carlton wanted to do it but Hewitt is a better player than Kennedy, every day of the week
2023 AFL Premiers