Welcome to Collingwood - Tony Armstrong

All trade and draft talk here thanks..... this means you DTM!!!!

Moderator: bbmods

Culprit
Has liked: 9 times
Been liked: 30 times

Post by Culprit »

Seriously, if you feel Armstrong is going to be on our list based on his ability and performance at the Crows and Swans you are deluded. The word "Potential" comes to mind; in saying that I don't believe that is the reason he will be on our list. Someone mentioned a scenario about another player that if they were indigenous that they would promoted earlier. Of course they would have.
woodys_world69
Been liked: 20 times

Post by woodys_world69 »

FrankieGoesToCollingwood wrote:Tony Armstrong?

http://youtu.be/cAQSZhazYk8
a young michael jackson I would of thought too
Dave The Man
Been liked: 5 times

Post by Dave The Man »

Culprit wrote:Seriously, if you feel Armstrong is going to be on our list based on his ability and performance at the Crows and Swans you are deluded. The word "Potential" comes to mind; in saying that I don't believe that is the reason he will be on our list. Someone mentioned a scenario about another player that if they were indigenous that they would promoted earlier. Of course they would have.
His Weapons is his Speed and Disposal.

His Form is to up and down is his worst Enemy.

Someone said he was a Emergency for the 2012 GF
I am Da Man
Rick

Post by Rick »

woodys_world69 wrote:
FrankieGoesToCollingwood wrote:Tony Armstrong?

http://youtu.be/cAQSZhazYk8
a young michael jackson I would of thought too
Or Prince?
MOTR

Post by MOTR »

Pochemuchka wrote:
Stupied wrote:The only thing I can think of that they see in him is his kicking. Has supposedly elite disposal, if he can break into the 22 he will probably take the kick-ins. Is meant to be pretty quick too.

Time will tell if he is just another waste of a pick that could have been used to upgrade Martin...
if martin were an indigenous player he'd be upgraded by now. it's been alluded to that armstrong has been recruited to help fill our quota.

Perhaps I've read you wrong, but you've posted nothing that suggests you have any idea about relative value of the players recruited to our list. It's been alluded that Armstrong has been picked above Martin because of his Aboriginality, but that's crap. He's been picked because he fills a need and it's not at the expense of Martin.
Last edited by MOTR on Fri Nov 08, 2013 4:23 am, edited 1 time in total.
Be Staunch, Be Proud, Be Collingwood
stui magpie
Has liked: 71 times
Been liked: 73 times

Post by stui magpie »

The martin v Armstrong argument is bullshit. We've upgraded some rookies and are able to nominate others as nominated rookies to be able to play senior games if we keep our senior list low like last year.

So Martin could still play senior games as a rookie, and to pick up Armstrong we use a spot on the senior list. No issue, no conspiracy, no direct comparison.
Every dead body on Mt Everest was once a highly motivated person, so maybe just calm the **** down.
Fire Up

Post by Fire Up »

Dave The Man wrote:
Culprit wrote:Seriously, if you feel Armstrong is going to be on our list based on his ability and performance at the Crows and Swans you are deluded. The word "Potential" comes to mind; in saying that I don't believe that is the reason he will be on our list. Someone mentioned a scenario about another player that if they were indigenous that they would promoted earlier. Of course they would have.

Someone said he was a Emergency for the 2012 GF
what you been smoking dave? ppl up in franga been giving you the "good" stuff i see.
from the games i saw him play none of that was on show.
Culprit

Post by Culprit »

Dave The Man wrote:

Someone said he was a Emergency for the 2012
GF
That was Sydney when they wanted a pick for him. :lol:

I will be totally surprised if he actually plays a Senior AFL Season 2014 game. My nickname for him is "Token"
Jezza
Has liked: 127 times
Been liked: 191 times

Post by Jezza »

Welcome to Collingwood Tony Armstrong :)

I have to admit that I've questioned the recruitment of Tony Armstrong, but I can see some upside from him after seeing some of his highlights, but he'll need to do a lot of work to be different from his Adelaide and Sydney days. At least this piece of recruiting doesn't cost us anything in terms of trading a player or draft pick or using a draft pick to obtain him so I'm satisfied with that.

I know it might sound like a familiar opinion from many, but if Hine and Rendall have faith in Armstrong then they obviously see some hidden talent that hasn't been utilised just yet and therefore we need to trust their judgment on recruiting Armstrong. After seeing his highlights I think his pace is his biggest asset, so if he obtains some form he might be a good player off the half-back line because of his pace. Some say that he's supposed to be a very good ball user but I haven't seen it Adelaide or Sydney, but maybe it will improve. He's 24 now and this is a time where he now needs to show something. If he fails at Collingwood, I think that will be the end of his AFL career.

If Armstrong can perform well next year I'll be very happy to be proven wrong and be delighted about this recruitment. I wish him all the best and hopefully when the pre-season starts for him he'll hit the ground running hard and prove his worth. The pre-season games are a good time for him to send a message to the coaching stuff that he should be considered for the senior side regularly if he performs well in the pre-season.

🏆 | 1902 | 1903 | 1910 | 1917 | 1919 | 1927 | 1928 | 1929 | 1930 | 1935 | 1936 | 1953 | 1958 | 1990 | 2010 | 2023 | 🏆
AN_Inkling

Post by AN_Inkling »

He's the last player on our list and is a type we need, so the signing makes perfect sense. Just like the signing of Russell last year we shouldn't be expecting great things. It's last chance saloon for Armstrong, let's hope he makes the most of it.
Well done boys!
Tannin

Post by Tannin »

The racial quota claims are unmitigated bullshit. In reality, he was recruited on the advice of Rendall because ... he comes from a good family. :shock:

(runs and hides)
�Let's eat Grandma.� Commas save lives!
Culprit

Post by Culprit »

He will be a solid addition to the VFL squad.
AN_Inkling

Post by AN_Inkling »

Played games for Sydney in 2013 and 2012. Will be a strong chance to play games for Collingwood in 2014.
Well done boys!
Cuthbert Collingwood

Post by Cuthbert Collingwood »

Culprit wrote:I will be totally surprised if he actually plays a Senior AFL Season 2014 game. My nickname for him is "Token"
this sort of shit makes me mad, give the guy a break like you would any new recruit....
McRae for Governor-General!
Lazza

Post by Lazza »

Without solid evidence, this is utter bloody bullshit. Total unsubstantiated crap but hey, silly bigots and conspiracy theorists need to exist in this world as well and I make it my job always to challenge and confront types like you Culprit...... :!:
Give me the concrete evidence that his skin colour played a part in his selection or take your bloody bigotry talk elsewhere, maybe the Andrew Bolt forum where you will be among a host of like minded right winged bigoted idiots........ :x :evil: