Transgender athletes back on the agenda

Nick's current affairs & general discussion about anything that's not sport.
Voice your opinion on stories of interest to all at Nick's.

Moderator: bbmods

Wokko

Post by Wokko »

What about the other 576 genders?
think positive
Has liked: 212 times
Been liked: 84 times

Post by think positive »

stui magpie wrote:

I have no issue with transgender people, as I said above.

My only issue is with transgender sports people.
Exactly right.

David how about answering the point about Hannah's body composition? No female can be built like that and maintain the same level of athleticism. We just ain't made that way. It's a massive power advantage. MMA fighting for example. And yes I know 1 transgender lost a fight. Like I said before, it might be legal, but it's sure as hell ain't fair. Political correctness gone mad.

As for a real woman? Define real? physically they never can be. Legally a woman, comfortable on their own body, yes. Their brain may be saying female, but the body will always be a suppressed male.

Where is it written that in life you get to have anything you want? There is restrictions for most things. Short people can't even get on some rides in theme parks. Large people can't go on because of weight restrictions. Why do these people get everything they want? If transgenders get to hold world records in their new assigned gender, then you have to allow steroid effected athletes too. What's the difference?
You cant fix stupid, turns out you cant quarantine it either!
Skids
Has liked: 26 times
Been liked: 30 times

Post by Skids »

Wokko wrote:What about the other 576 genders?
What about the no gender at all group? Who will they play with :?
Don't count the days, make the days count.
Wokko

Post by Wokko »

As much as I'm against transgenders from competing in female sports, there are indeed some freaks of nature out there in the sporting world. This is Gabi Garcia, BJJ black belt and mixed martial arts fighter. She's 6'2" and 95 kg. She could beat just about any untrained man in a fight, and even a fair few trained ones.

Even if we assume she's used steroids, she's still a woman and even women on steroids don't tend to get that big, strong and athletic.
Culprit
Has liked: 9 times
Been liked: 30 times

Post by Culprit »

The Fear of Transgenders is alarming. I doubt many have ever interacted with a transgender so understanding isn't there. If a Transgender wishes to play sport and meet all the criteria on offer I don't have an issue as long as they want to wear Black and White.
HAL
Been liked: 3 times

Post by HAL »

Is this a riddle?
think positive
Has liked: 212 times
Been liked: 84 times

Post by think positive »

Culprit wrote:The Fear of Transgenders is alarming. I doubt many have ever interacted with a transgender so understanding isn't there. If a Transgender wishes to play sport and meet all the criteria on offer I don't have an issue as long as they want to wear Black and White.
Who mentioned fear? No fear, just don't like seeing females from birth bowled over by an opponent with an unfair physical advantage. And yes I have seen it happen, many times, and a hell of a lot of players at the centre are not happy about it. Especially when they themselves have been warned about rough play, but nothing is done or said when the person who has transgendered does it. So much for an equal playing field.
You cant fix stupid, turns out you cant quarantine it either!
stui magpie
Has liked: 71 times
Been liked: 73 times

Post by stui magpie »

Culprit wrote:The Fear of Transgenders is alarming. I doubt many have ever interacted with a transgender so understanding isn't there. If a Transgender wishes to play sport and meet all the criteria on offer I don't have an issue as long as they want to wear Black and White.
In my case it's not fear, I have interacted with Transgender people before (plural) and I do have a lot of empathy for them.

I know what I've written in this thread would be construed by many of them to be hurtful and that's a long way from my intent.

As Wokko says, there are genetic freaks of all genders. Chyna was a female wrestler who could beat many men.

The point that I can't climb over is that we have separate sporting competitions for males and females for a reason, and a male athlete who transitions to a female still has a physical advantage despite the hormone treatment. I'd find it easier to accept if the person hadn't already competed in the sport as a man, against men, prior to transition.

However, as I did say before, the competitions have put rules in place and if that works for them, then fair enough. It doesn't change my fundamental view but I'm not going to protest or lobby about it, I'm just providing my opinion FWIW.
Every dead body on Mt Everest was once a highly motivated person, so maybe just calm the **** down.
Pa Marmo

Post by Pa Marmo »

Oh come on, what's the harm if he wants to be a girl, and he wants to play footy with the girls. He was obviously born that way, it's a girl in a boys body, just because he has to remove a penis and two testicles, and just because he had to get breast implants to have boobies, doesn't mean he isn't a girl inside. Give him a go, the tackle highlights real should be like a TAC road trauma add.
Genesis 1:1
David
Has liked: 1 time
Been liked: 35 times

Post by David »

David

Post by David »

By the way, if, like me, you feel this argument is familiar, you're right ... click back to page 1 for an almost identical discussion featuring the exact same posters and the exact same arguments.

Such is Nick's. Rinse, repeat. :lol:
"Every time we witness an injustice and do not act, we train our character to be passive in its presence." – Julian Assange
stui magpie

Post by stui magpie »

My problem with your argument is that it's about physical diversity within a gender, doesn't address the physiological differences between men and women and I therefore deem it irrelevant, misinformed and generally nonsensical.

You have been posting the same argument since page 1, it hasn't got any better. It's still shit.
Every dead body on Mt Everest was once a highly motivated person, so maybe just calm the **** down.
Pa Marmo

Post by Pa Marmo »

stui magpie wrote:My problem with your argument is that it's about physical diversity within a gender, doesn't address the physiological differences between men and women and I therefore deem it irrelevant, misinformed and generally nonsensical.

You have been posting the same argument since page 1, it hasn't got any better. It's still shit.
In lieu of a like button I had to quote this post, I love it.......lots.
Genesis 1:1
David

Post by David »

"Every time we witness an injustice and do not act, we train our character to be passive in its presence." – Julian Assange
stui magpie

Post by stui magpie »

No. Try reading my arguments.

A male who transitions to a female has a physical advantage for one. If you transitioned, you're chances of being a top line AFLW player would be slim to none as you have close to zero talent.

However, a male athlete who has competed as an adult man against other adult men to then transition and play against women, if that person doesn't have a physical advantage I'll go she.

Find me a single athletic sport/competition where the best woman is better than then best man. There aren't any. It's not an equal playing field, but if the relevant bodies are OK with it, that's fine with me.