Welcome to Collingwood Justin Leppitsch & Brendon Bolton

This is a Collingwood Bulletin Board - use this forum for general, Pies-related topics. For other footy topics, use Nick's Other AFL forum, and for non-footy sporting topics please use Nick's Sports Bar. For non-sporting topics please use the Victoria Park Tavern.

Moderator: bbmods

Bleedblackanwhite

Post by Bleedblackanwhite »

E wrote:we now have a coaching staff/management team that could probably beat the players in a game of footy!

having the best coaches in the world doesn't mean shit if you have a crap list.

What was it that Leigh Matthews said about coaching?
Not sure, but I have heard of this one..

“If you give a man a fish, you feed him for a day. If you teach a man to fish, you feed him for a lifetime.”
Collingwood forever, forever Collingwood
thesoretoothsayer
Been liked: 14 times

Post by thesoretoothsayer »

^ I prefer:
"If you build a man a fire he's warm for a day, if you set a man on fire he's warm for the rest of his life."
BazBoy
Been liked: 26 times

Post by BazBoy »

Now that we have two new appointment’s are there any more space in our allowed soft cap for any more appointments

Do we need any more ?????
I'm not arguing--just explaining why i am right
Bleedblackanwhite

Post by Bleedblackanwhite »

thesoretoothsayer wrote:^ I prefer:
"If you build a man a fire he's warm for a day, if you set a man on fire he's warm for the rest of his life."
Kill 2 birds with 1 stone and cook the fish over the burning corpse maybe?
Collingwood forever, forever Collingwood
mattdally
Has liked: 1 time

Post by mattdally »

Corey Enright may be the next appointment. We are speaking to him at the moment. I think I heard it on SEN with one of their commentators mentioning it.
mattdally

Post by mattdally »

dalyc wrote:
mattdally wrote:Couldn't afford decent assistant coaches with Buckley consuming most of the soft cap
Flog … Buckley’s gone , find someone else to whinge about
Really? I am not having a whinge about Buckley, merely stating the facts. Buckley was on a substantial contract. As a result, we were not able to attract and pay for experienced senior assistant coaches to support him.

With Buckley gone and McRae a rookie, we can assume he is on a smaller salary and as a result can afford decent assistants.

Happy to be proven incorrect.
Pie as a Kite

Post by Pie as a Kite »

mattdally wrote:
dalyc wrote:
mattdally wrote:Couldn't afford decent assistant coaches with Buckley consuming most of the soft cap
...find someone else to whinge about
... Buckley was on a substantial contract. As a result, we were not able to attract and pay for experienced senior assistant coaches to support him.

With Buckley gone and McRae a rookie, we can assume he is on a smaller salary and as a result can afford decent assistants.

I think you're correct here - I read an article the other week that said with the difference in salary between a rookie coach and an experienced coach, the team should now be able to pay for a couple of extra coaches. It's nothing against Bucks, just the fact that a reasonably successful ten-year head coach will earn more than a first year head coach.

I can only guess about the $ numbers, but even for example a $30-50k difference might allow us to employ a part time ruck/tackling/kicking coach. A couple of hundred grand could mean several extra staff.
The General
Has liked: 2 times

Post by The General »

So who is going to be the forwards coach?
MJ23

Post by MJ23 »

^ Im not sure the article said or meant "extra" coaches. What its saying is more experienced coaches that demand more $. And its hardly just Bucks salary given Harvey and Sanderson would be on plenty reflecting their time in the system.

I mean Hardwick and Clarkson would be on more than Bucks and they had great talent around them - some of whom we are poaching.

Criss Scott has to be paid plenty and look at who he had assisting.
"Even when Im old and gray, I wont be able to play but Ill still love the game"
Michael Jordan
Raw Hammer
Been liked: 1 time

Post by Raw Hammer »

MJ23 wrote:^ Im not sure the article said or meant "extra" coaches. What its saying is more experienced coaches that demand more $. And its hardly just Bucks salary given Harvey and Sanderson would be on plenty reflecting their time in the system.

I mean Hardwick and Clarkson would be on more than Bucks and they had great talent around them - some of whom we are poaching.

Scott pretty much coached for free last season (he put his hand up to take a massive pay cut when COVID hit).

The earlier comments are 100% true and are fact. McRae is on a rookie coach wage, meaning much more money to go around for additional (better) coaches due to soft cap.
Est. 2002
Pies2016
Has liked: 5 times
Been liked: 82 times

Post by Pies2016 »

The General wrote:So who is going to be the forwards coach?
That was McRaes focus as an assistant.
Interesting social media comment from Mal Michael recently.
I’m paraphrasing here but it was along the lines of Michael rating McRae as the best footy mind amongst all those brilliant lions players throughout their halcyon days. ( Somebody may be able to find it and quote it )
think positive
Has liked: 212 times
Been liked: 84 times

Post by think positive »

cant find it but i read that too.
hopefully he believes in recruiting a true KPP forward!
You cant fix stupid, turns out you cant quarantine it either!
Pies2016
Has liked: 5 times
Been liked: 82 times

Post by Pies2016 »

Pie as a Kite wrote:
mattdally wrote:
dalyc wrote: ...find someone else to whinge about
... Buckley was on a substantial contract. As a result, we were not able to attract and pay for experienced senior assistant coaches to support him.

I think you're correct here - I read an article the other week that said with the difference in salary between a rookie coach and an experienced coach, the team should now be able to pay for a couple of extra coaches. It's nothing against Bucks, just the fact that a reasonably successful ten-year head coach will earn more than a first year head coach.

I can only guess about the $ numbers, but even for example a $30-50k difference might allow us to employ a part time ruck/tackling/kicking coach. A couple of hundred grand could mean several extra staff.
There has been so little football available to young players in recent times, some clubs will look to focus on player development over other areas ( talent identification, oppo analysis, player welfare, high performance etc ) The cap isnt a bottomless pit, so clubs need to prioritise according to their list profile and premiership window.

Of course we need to keeping winning but behind the scenes, 2022 will be as much about fast tracking the young blokes as it is the four points. Obviously one hand washes the other but right now, our recent draftees have a lot of catching up to do
RudeBoy
Been liked: 70 times

Post by RudeBoy »

Seems like we have/are assembled/assembling a great team of assistant coaches to work alongside Craig McRae.

I am, however, slightly puzzled at the need for a Director of coaching position. After all, we already have a head coach in McRae as well as a head of football department in Wright. I'm not criticising Bolton's appointment, but just hope we don't end up with too many chiefs and not enough Indians!
MJ23

Post by MJ23 »

Raw Hammer wrote:
MJ23 wrote:^ Im not sure the article said or meant "extra" coaches. What its saying is more experienced coaches that demand more $. And its hardly just Bucks salary given Harvey and Sanderson would be on plenty reflecting their time in the system.

Scott pretty much coached for free last season (he put his hand up to take a massive pay cut when COVID hit).

The earlier comments are 100% true and are fact. McRae is on a rookie coach wage, meaning much more money to go around for additional (better) coaches due to soft cap.
100%.....I get soft cap and Macrae being on less dollars. Hes unproven and a first year coach, its kinda obvious. But dont try and tell me Clarkson and Hardwick are on less than Buck's to allow for better assistants.

You could suggest bucks choice of assistant's were not getting it done - thats an argument.
"Even when Im old and gray, I wont be able to play but Ill still love the game"
Michael Jordan