Home Solar Panels/batteries.

Nick's current affairs & general discussion about anything that's not sport.
Voice your opinion on stories of interest to all at Nick's.

Moderator: bbmods

stui magpie
Has liked: 71 times
Been liked: 73 times

Post by stui magpie »

Geezus, that's a lot of panels :shock:
Every dead body on Mt Everest was once a highly motivated person, so maybe just calm the **** down.
Skids
Has liked: 24 times
Been liked: 30 times

Post by Skids »

Don't count the days, make the days count.
Culprit
Has liked: 9 times

Post by Culprit »

With energy prices out of control thanks to glorious privatisation I put solar (6.6kw) on the house in July/August. The first bill just came in @ $101 Credit. The feed-in Tariff is 12 cents which is pretty good by today's offers. I have a bonus coming up and that will be a battery.

Waiting for two split systems to be installed. 8kw at the front of the house for the main living area and 2kw for the office and rear bedroom. Once that is done the gas central heating will be disconnected. The last bill was around $660.

Now the gas hot water is minimal as far as gas usage goes. I will wait to that dies before I head to a heat pump.

Gas Stove to Induction, well that cost can be around 6k if wiring needs done so that is another thing on hold.

Will I go an EV? No chance at the moment.
Kingsofclutch

Post by Kingsofclutch »

Hydrogen? Hydrogen? Bueller?
Flagpies
think positive
Has liked: 212 times
Been liked: 84 times

Post by think positive »

Culprit wrote:With energy prices out of control thanks to glorious privatisation I put solar (6.6kw) on the house in July/August. The first bill just came in @ $101 Credit. The feed-in Tariff is 12 cents which is pretty good by today's offers. I have a bonus coming up and that will be a battery.

Waiting for two split systems to be installed. 8kw at the front of the house for the main living area and 2kw for the office and rear bedroom. Once that is done the gas central heating will be disconnected. The last bill was around $660.

Now the gas hot water is minimal as far as gas usage goes. I will wait to that dies before I head to a heat pump.

Gas Stove to Induction, well that cost can be around 6k if wiring needs done so that is another thing on hold.

Will I go an EV? No chance at the moment.
Yeah we are getting a split system put into the wall of the downstairs lounge next week . Our ducted is zoned, but it’s not zoned well! I’m downstairs later, I like to be warm, never cold, in winter the ducted keeps upstairs boiling and downstairs lukewarm! I did too good a job insulating the walls! Heat never gets in downstairs! I hate air conditioning, I rarely turn it on! I’d rather broil! But I do turn it 1/2 hour before hubby comes home if it over32!

Our solar has saved us a fortune, wish we put it in the beach house. Not giving up gas cooking til I have too!

And it’s now 369 days since I order my Hybrid RAV 4! Everyone else will have hover cars by the time iget it!
You cant fix stupid, turns out you cant quarantine it either!
Culprit

Post by Culprit »

Sold my Territory and purchased a Hyundai Elantra and liked that so much that I purchased an N i30 Sedan at the beginning of Covid and I love it. Power and Fuel economy along with capped price servicing. Love the tech and safety features. My next car will be next year and I will see what's on the market.
Kingsofclutch

Post by Kingsofclutch »

Culprit wrote:Sold my Territory and purchased a Hyundai Elantra and liked that so much that I purchased an N i30 Sedan at the beginning of Covid and I love it. Power and Fuel economy along with capped price servicing. Love the tech and safety features. My next car will be next year and I will see what's on the market.
I'm selling the children for an electric Porsche Macan next year.
Flagpies
Culprit

Post by Culprit »

^^Great Deal, think of the savings.
stui magpie

Post by stui magpie »

I'm going to have to look at my feed in tarrif. Latest bill I've bought 200kwh from the grid and sold 400kwh back to the grid from my solar system for a net result of I have a $35 bill.
Every dead body on Mt Everest was once a highly motivated person, so maybe just calm the **** down.
Culprit

Post by Culprit »

stui magpie wrote:I'm going to have to look at my feed in tarrif. Latest bill I've bought 200kwh from the grid and sold 400kwh back to the grid from my solar system for a net result of I have a $35 bill.
There needs to be an inquiry into feed-in tariffs. Most offer 5 cents and sell it for 20-45 cents. My mate's old system is still getting 66 cents.
Skids
Has liked: 24 times

Post by Skids »

Problem.with the feed in is that they recieve too much power (WA)from solar panels off peak. Why would they pay more for it.... bit like trying to put 100L in your 60L fuel tank.

Batteries are way too expensive and I think you'll find Culprit, won't have the capacity to run your A/C's at night, they are very limited, unless you spend circa $30k.

Having said that, I'm happy with my solar set up. Installed about 5 years ago and it's well and truly paid for itself. I recently enquired about adding a battery, but, as I said, there's very little benefit for the massive outlay, I'd need to live to about 150 to get anywhere near even.
Don't count the days, make the days count.
Culprit

Post by Culprit »

New designs are coming through and at the moment it's approx. $1000 per kWh. Yes, that's too expensive, and in saying that it was $3000 per kWh.
stui magpie

Post by stui magpie »

So I just changed electricity plan, same provider.

I was getting a feed in tariff of 4.9c per KWH

I take a slight increase in the cost of the supply and in return I get a feed in tariff of 15c per KWH for the first 10 KWH per day. After that it goes back to 4.9c.

I didn't sit down with a calculator and work it out but considering I'm selling twice the amount back as what I'm using, getting more for what I'm selling should reduce the bill further. I'm basically not using any power from the grid in daylight hours anyway.

See how it works.
Culprit

Post by Culprit »

Sounds good. I have noticed plans increasing the feed-in tariffs. No doubt due to the amount of people who have switched to solar.
Bucks5
Has liked: 2 times
Been liked: 11 times

Post by Bucks5 »

I taken the plunge and got 13.2kw system compromising of 30 panels plus a battery installed last Wednesday (Happy Valentine's day to me). There is only my wife and I at living here so it is a much bigger system than we need, but it is better to have more than you need rather than not enough, right?

My initial thoughts are that the system has exceeded my expectations as we are yet to use any power from the grid. Having the ability to monitor your electricity usage in real time is also an eye opener, who knew a electric kettle is such a power hogging device.

The thing I did not know is that our electricity distributor (PowerCorp) have set a maximum rate of 5kwh for feeding back into the grid for our area. If I had known that I would have went with a 10kw system instead. We did go bigger thinking we will pump more into the grid and save more but that was not to be.

It also takes Energy Australia up to 20 days to reconfigure your smart meter so you get credits for putting power back into the grid. This is done remotely (which is probably code for someone just needs to press a few buttons) so I am sure this is another tactic to milk a few dollars more out of us.
How would Siri know when to answer "Hey Siri" unless it is listening in to everything you say?