Vale #25 Billy Picken (1956-2022)

Player President threads here thanks.

Moderator: bbmods

Ryder Stand
Has liked: 1 time

Post by Ryder Stand »

Billy was my idol, he was a skilful larrikin who embodied the Collingwood spirit we all love.
RIP
doriswilgus
Has liked: 4 times
Been liked: 21 times

Post by doriswilgus »

What terrible news.I don’t remember Con Britt,but I’m old enough to remember Billy Picken from my youth.What a player he was.It’s shocking to think he’s gone at the age of 66.

RIP Con Britt and Billy Picken.
Mr Miyagi
Has liked: 48 times
Been liked: 112 times

Post by Mr Miyagi »

RudeBoy wrote:I remember running into Billy at the old fish n chip shop (now gone) on Johnston St, near the Vic Park railway station, back in 1976 or 77. He had just finished training and was fuelling up on fish n chips and a couple of dimmies. We chatted briefly and he was incredibly friendly and down to earth. Footy was a lot more genuine and real back then. RIP Billy. :cry:
Those were the days! Glad you have a good memory with Billy, Rudey.
Captain_MyCaptain

Post by Captain_MyCaptain »

Great player Billy Picken. Best CHB we've ever had, imo.
I always wanted the 25 on my back.
Gone too soon. RIP Billy.
The window is open my friend!
pietillidie
Has liked: 14 times
Been liked: 28 times

Post by pietillidie »

My older sister's absolute fave when we were kids. RIP Billy Boy.
In the end the rain comes down, washes clean the streets of a blue sky town.
Help Nick's: http://www.magpies.net/nick/bb/fundraising.htm
3rd degree

Post by 3rd degree »

Like many of us I was very sad to hear about Billy's death. I was too young to see Con Britt play. I am so happy the lads got up today, a lot of heart .
" Ohhh Banksy and out comes the Note Book".

www.facebook/the hybernators
SteveG

Post by SteveG »

watt price tully wrote:Fond memories at school of Billy: HSC 1974. In the library periods at school he used to call imaginary (horse) races. They were funny and he was really d good at it.

Melbourne High School had lots of kids from the country doing their final years of school (good way for clubs to get country kids down as through an arrangement with the school the kids would get a so called good education making it attractive for parents to agree). Lots of VFL as it was known then 1st, 2nd and 3rd kids and some from the VFA.

Billy was friendly and likeable.
Can back up WPT.

I sat next to Billy during Social Studies at Melbourne High School and saw him take a lot of hangers for the school side.

I played on the HBF for the seconds. Not easy to get into the Firsts with Kink at FF, Picken at CHF, Manassa in the middle, Edwards in ruck, and Flower and Fitzsimmons on the wings.

He had great balance, always played on his toes, had a high ball drop, a unique way of getting back behind the mark as quickly as possible, and turning to look upfield to launch a torp. (Not sure if I ever saw him handball.) Those were the days when you tried to get the pill into the forward line as quickly as possible. You would with Daicos and Moore in front of you.

Here’s Billy on the big stage:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SU4RrbXWRL8
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
LaurieHolden
Has liked: 145 times
Been liked: 145 times

Post by LaurieHolden »

"The Club's not Jock, Ted and Gerry" (& Eddie)
2023 AFL Premiers