AUKUS – new submarine deal

Nick's current affairs & general discussion about anything that's not sport.
Voice your opinion on stories of interest to all at Nick's.

Moderator: bbmods

stui magpie
Has liked: 71 times
Been liked: 73 times

Post by stui magpie »

watt price tully wrote:
stui magpie wrote:How is entering into an arrangement with the UK and USA, 2 long term allies, to buy Submaries, impacting on our sovereignty? :shock: :?
Which part is not would have been the right question.
Bullshit, it's a genuine question. You made a statement, I think it makes no sense. We were always going to get new Subs from somewhere, they were always going to cost a lot and take years to get, how can making this deal impact our sovereignty?
Every dead body on Mt Everest was once a highly motivated person, so maybe just calm the **** down.
watt price tully

Post by watt price tully »

What'sinaname wrote:
watt price tully wrote:
What'sinaname wrote:^ to be fair, I’d take Dan’s word on this as he a proven track record of wasting money.
Oh contraire, the people of Victoria have endorsed the thrice elected Premier of Victoria the Right Honourable Daniel Andrews (who increased his majority in every election btw) reckon your wrong
“I even went as far as becoming a Southern Baptist until I realised they didn’t keep ‘em under long enough” Kinky Friedman
watt price tully

stui magpie wrote:
watt price tully wrote:
stui magpie wrote:How is entering into an arrangement with the UK and USA, 2 long term allies, to buy Submaries, impacting on our sovereignty? :shock: :?
Bullshit, it's a genuine question. You made a statement, I think it makes no sense. We were always going to get new Subs from somewhere, they were always going to cost a lot and take years to get, how can making this deal impact our sovereignty?
Yes but we could have had Camembert rather than Pine Gap hot dogs
“I even went as far as becoming a Southern Baptist until I realised they didn’t keep ‘em under long enough” Kinky Friedman
What'sinaname
Has liked: 2 times
Been liked: 9 times

Post by What'sinaname »

watt price tully wrote:
Straw man arguments abound in your nonsense above.

All states bought PPE at the time. Unlike you they were trying to protect Victorians. Unlike you all Governments including the Victorias Government have a responsibility to look after its citizens.

How you can so easily dismiss the health and safety of people might be OK for you but not for those with responsibility or the majority of the voting public.

I know who I’d vote for; hang on a second I think I might recall that the current state Government were elected for a third successive time with increased majorities on each occasion. Seems like the people of Victoria like to have a Government who is concerned about their health and safety too.
Lol. You can't even admit that Dan wasted $172m on useless PPE equipment despite all of the evidence that he did. Well, he threw Mikakos under the bus because when things go wrong, it's always someone else's fault.

You're a Dan fanboi.
Skids
Has liked: 26 times
Been liked: 30 times

Post by Skids »

stui magpie wrote:
watt price tully wrote:
This article may answer your question Stui...

https://www.smh.com.au/national/aukus-s ... 5cskq.html
Don't count the days, make the days count.
watt price tully

What'sinaname wrote:
watt price tully wrote:
Straw man arguments abound in your nonsense above.

All states bought PPE at the time. Unlike you they were trying to protect Victorians. Unlike you all Governments including the Victorias Government have a responsibility to look after its citizens.

How you can so easily dismiss the health and safety of people might be OK for you but not for those with responsibility or the majority of the voting public.

I know who I’d vote for; hang on a second I think I might recall that the current state Government were elected for a third successive time with increased majorities on each occasion. Seems like the people of Victoria like to have a Government who is concerned about their health and safety too.
Lol. You can't even admit that Dan wasted $172m on useless PPE equipment despite all of the evidence that he did. Well, he threw Mikakos under the bus because when things go wrong, it's always someone else's fault.

You're a Dan fanboi.
Histrionic reactions and name calling are no substitute for reasoned argument. Next.
What'sinaname

Post by What'sinaname »

You said Dan knows how to spend taxpayer fund wisely. I provided you evidence to the contrary. It’s not an argument anymore.
Fighting against the objectification of woman.
David
Has liked: 1 time
Been liked: 35 times

Post by David »

"Every time we witness an injustice and do not act, we train our character to be passive in its presence." – Julian Assange
What'sinaname

Post by What'sinaname »

The time to think about that has passed David. We need the protection of the nuclear umbrella and the US offers the only genuine protection of a threat through the Pacific. We at least share an ocean with the US.
Fighting against the objectification of woman.
stui magpie

Post by stui magpie »

Skids wrote:
stui magpie wrote:
watt price tully wrote: Which part is not would have been the right question.
This article may answer your question Stui...

Thanks Skids, that explains it well.

In short, we haven't ceded our soverignty at all, but we have created risk that will need ongoing management, particularly in case of conflict.
Every dead body on Mt Everest was once a highly motivated person, so maybe just calm the **** down.
watt price tully

What'sinaname wrote:You said Dan knows how to spend taxpayer fund wisely. I provided you evidence to the contrary. It’s not an argument anymore.
As usual you provided a meaningless link devoid of context. I provided you with the context.

All states overspent on PPE because your mate Scotty from Marketing abdicated his responsibilities to Australia and said to the States you’re on your own. All states wanted to do best for the health of their citizens. So the states went about things individually and competitively to the detriment of the population as a whole. Scotty could have fixed it with Josh from accounts.

NSW also bought unusable PPE.

As usual your link is without context is meaningless.

https://amp.theguardian.com/australia-n ... ding-finds

This was a chaotic time for all states and the Federal Government playing party politics added to it.

Daniel Andrews was voted in with an increased majority for the third successive election and certainly didn’t waste money on submarines.
watt price tully

stui magpie wrote:
Skids wrote:This article may answer your question Stui...

Thanks Skids, that explains it well.

In short, we haven't ceded our soverignty at all, but we have created risk that will need ongoing management, particularly in case of conflict.
Nah, by the time you get the picture we’ll be torpedoed
What'sinaname

Post by What'sinaname »

watt price tully wrote:
What'sinaname wrote:You said Dan knows how to spend taxpayer fund wisely. I provided you evidence to the contrary. It’s not an argument anymore.
As usual you provided a meaningless link devoid of context. I provided you with the context.

All states overspent on PPE because your mate Scotty from Marketing abdicated his responsibilities to Australia and said to the States you’re on your own. All states wanted to do best for the health of their citizens. So the states went about things individually and competitively to the detriment of the population as a whole. Scotty could have fixed it with Josh from accounts.

This was a chaotic time for all states and the Federal Government playing party politics added to it.

Daniel Andrews was voted in with an increased majority for the third successive election and certainly didn’t waste money on submarines.
whataboutisms
stui magpie

Post by stui magpie »

^

I get it, I don't think you do. Just go back to congratulating Dan on the great job he's doing keeping the CFMEU employed building roads while the Public Hospital system bleeds to death. :wink:
watt price tully

What'sinaname wrote:
watt price tully wrote:

whataboutisms