Finals qualification

This is a Collingwood Bulletin Board - use this forum for general, Pies-related topics. For other footy topics, use Nick's Other AFL forum, and for non-footy sporting topics please use Nick's Sports Bar. For non-sporting topics please use the Victoria Park Tavern.

Moderator: bbmods

perthmagpie

Post by perthmagpie »

People go too early. There is 15 rounds left. We have so far played 6 of the other 7 finalists from last year. Now we have further games against Hawthorn, West Coast, Richmond and North. We have 7 of our last 8 at the G. We are only 2.5 games off second. The fixtures gets a little easier for the next 7 weeks just as we are building form and connection. I believe we can finish second. We want to avoid an away qualifying final in Sydney. So it’s either finish second or hope Geelong and Melbourne finish top four.
Magpies love pies(Lol)
23 YIPPEE!!!

Post by 23 YIPPEE!!! »

Same I think Collingwood are not doing too much and not doing too little kind of a nice spot to be at round 8 say.
Kind of becoming more favourable as in terms of the draw
No easy games but it becomes favourable
I think still a way to go but building nicely and have done well
Should have won Anzac Day but I guess we got 2 points
Starting to roll on a tad
Plus we start to get some players back as well
Top 4 again be great but I feel we could be playing gws first up but love to play cats at the mcg
Still a long way to go
Time to settle into the season time
Pies4shaw
Has liked: 54 times
Been liked: 87 times

Post by Pies4shaw »

David wrote:
Johnno75 wrote:Funnily we might be competing with Essendon for one of the bottom 2 spots in the 8 and they have a similar % to us.
I’d be surprised tbh. Barely got over West Coast last night and have been pretty average generally.
They were very lucky to get us off the short break. They won't get within 80 points of us next time.
lazzadesilva
Has liked: 2 times
Been liked: 51 times

Post by lazzadesilva »

perthmagpie wrote: I believe we can finish second. We want to avoid an away qualifying final in Sydney. So it’s either finish second or hope Geelong and Melbourne finish top four.
If we continue to play at our optimal level, I believe we can head the table.
I term the current Collingwood attack based strategy “Unceasing Waves” like on a stormy and windy day with rough seas. A Perfect Storm ☔️
RudeBoy
Been liked: 73 times

Post by RudeBoy »

We are definitely tracking well to finish in the top 4. But let's not get ahead of ourselves. We need to maintain our good form. It would be nice to start belting a few sides. Too many close finishes increases the likelihood of us losing a couple of games.

Who knows, maybe Geelong and Sydney will hit a bit of a form slump and drop a couple of games, opening up a chance for us to finish first or second. With 14 games to go, it's early days yet and a lot - both good and bad - can happen between now and the end of the h & a season. The great thing is we are back in the 8 and have seemingly found our mojo back.
BazBoy
Been liked: 29 times

Post by BazBoy »

I'm not arguing--just explaining why i am right
3rd degree

Post by 3rd degree »

What'sinaname wrote:Playing like we did against the Hawks - the answer is no.
Looking at the fixture, our form suggests losses to:
Port, Carlton x 2, Freo, Melbourne x 2, Cats, Swans
That's 8 losses
Always the beacon of hope in the Northern Sea. :lol:
" Ohhh Banksy and out comes the Note Book".

www.facebook/the hybernators
K
Has liked: 3 times
Been liked: 17 times

Post by K »

K wrote:
Bruce Gonsalves wrote:
Jezza wrote:% will be largely irrelevant off the back of today's draw.
......provided we don't draw again this year!
Or another team around the same ladder position draws.

There'll prolly be another draw this year... but prolly not between teams directly competing with us for ladder position.
Almost!! Almost had both Collingwood and Essendon draw the next week. If 90 seconds had been cut from Carlton v. Collingwood and added to WC v. Essendon, coulda happened. Surely woulda been a first: drawing teams both drawing the next game.
BazBoy
Been liked: 29 times

Post by BazBoy »

Port Freo loose we leap over them by two points
Essendon loose we are level with them on points but better %

Of course must beat Weagles
I'm not arguing--just explaining why i am right
K
Has liked: 3 times
Been liked: 17 times

Post by K »

lazzadesilva wrote:...
If we continue to play at our optimal level, I believe we can head the table.
Huh? Minor premiers? :?: :shock:

If ya really believe that, ya should have a punt at 41.00 with the bookies. (Not a good idea.)
David
Has liked: 1 time
Been liked: 35 times

Post by David »

It's certainly not outside the realm of possibility if we get into gear. Geelong started 2-3 in 2007 and ended up winning all but one of their remaining games and finishing minor premiers. Obviously top 4 is a more attainable goal though.
"Every time we witness an injustice and do not act, we train our character to be passive in its presence." – Julian Assange
RudeBoy
Been liked: 73 times

Post by RudeBoy »

Looks like Port's smashing Geelong. Not a bad outcome actually, as long as we can keep winning and aim for a top 2 spot.
lazzadesilva
Has liked: 2 times
Been liked: 51 times

Post by lazzadesilva »

^^^^

Port over the Cats by a goal. Trust this helps us on the ladder.
I term the current Collingwood attack based strategy “Unceasing Waves” like on a stormy and windy day with rough seas. A Perfect Storm ☔️
Ronnie McKeowns boots

Post by Ronnie McKeowns boots »

Top teams are starting to drop a few games, we have a real chance.

As always, depth and luck with injuries will play a key role.

Still, I'd fancy our chances if we could get to the last weekend and have the Swans at the G, don't tell me they still aren't hearing footsteps from that disgraceful last GF they played in
"You hate a mean man, a grasping man, a man who wants everything and gives nothing. That’s Collingwood. They are a law unto themselves"

Jack 'Captain Blood' Dyer
The Black and White Lion
Has liked: 180 times
Been liked: 65 times

Post by The Black and White Lion »

yeah it's becoming a logjam in the 8 isn't it. A lot of teams around the same mark. we could yet hang around languishing outside the 8 or we could launch a real assault up the ladder. We need to beat the eagles and if we beat the eagles well be on 22points leapfrogging freo.
Essendon v Giants is the other pivotal game on Saturday arvo that could open a window for us to finish the weekend as high as 7th.
Then our next 4 games against Adelaide, Freo, Dogs and Melbourne will be pivotal to win those '8' points games and rise higher towards the top 4. I think we're going to need a few players back.
I assume Schultz will come back in Round 10 (Crows @ MCG), Mitchell and McCreery could be available in Round 11 (Freo @ Optus), De Goey in Round 12 (Dogs @ Marvel) and Checkers in Round 13 (Dees @ MCG)
Ed Allen kicked our last goal of the year at the 58minute mark