Post Match. Pies trump Tigers. All comments.

Match previews, reviews, reports and discussion.

Moderator: bbmods

Charlie Oneeye
Has liked: 16 times
Been liked: 13 times

Re: Post Match. Pies trump Tigers. All comments.

Post by Charlie Oneeye »

I was impressed with Wil Parker. I'm impressed with his poise and decision-making, He has a footy brain
Looks AFL, similar to : Isaac Heeney
The coaches may think so too, otherwise they would not have fast-tracked his development with a game so early.
Skids
Has liked: 24 times
Been liked: 30 times

Post by Skids »

Finally, I can leave the flag up.

Pendles milestone game surely gets the place rockin'!?!
The ladder is insane....if only we'd won one of those draws :|
Don't count the days, make the days count.
BazBoy
Been liked: 26 times

Post by BazBoy »

Altho the big Yank didn’t do a lot —one thing he did do was being competitive enough in the ruck to give Cameron some time to make his presence felt around the ground
Cameron is key to our chances going fwd
I'm not arguing--just explaining why i am right
Damien
Has liked: 3 times
Been liked: 11 times

Post by Damien »

D-Mac straightens us up big time. As others have said, a win for PENDLES next week would be enough for me from a season that got away. IF that happens we are still alive. Play like there’s no tomorrow. If we ruin a few of our enemies seasons it’s some consolation.
'Collingwood are the Bradmans of Football'
The Herald - 1930
The Black and White Lion
Has liked: 178 times
Been liked: 65 times

Post by The Black and White Lion »

Was good to see Darcy Moore performed better today but he was switching between Balta, Koschitzke and Brown with Howe and Maynard. Nothing to write home about.
His efforts to get to, mark and spoil contests were better.
Moore had some poor moments in the second half though trying to mark rather than spoiling when he had time to just kill the ball. We lost 3 or 4 contests because of those choices.
He’s going to have to improve a lot again next week for SP400. The whole team will
Ed Allen kicked our last goal of the year at the 58minute mark
Jezza
Has liked: 127 times
Been liked: 191 times

Post by Jezza »

Always a nice feeling to be back on the winners list. We haven't experienced it for over a month, so hopefully it gives the playing group and coaches a much needed morale boost.
Can't say I'm convinced we've a turned a corner yet as I mentioned earlier, but at least it's given us a purpose to keep pushing for finals for another week.

Nick played one of his most dominant matches I've seen, by recorded a career-high 42 disposals and did as he please.

Very happy for Dan McStay that he's starting to re-adjust well back into senior football after a long absence. 3 goals and being an aerial presence up forward is what we've needed and what we want to see from the big fella. His inclusion will enhance our forward line.

I thought Bytel showed plenty of promise, but his disposal let him down at various stages so definitely something he needs to work on. Parker looks like a promising prospect with some really good defensive efforts.

Next week is the big one. Must do everything in our power to win it and honour Pendles in the right manner.
🏆 | 1902 | 1903 | 1910 | 1917 | 1919 | 1927 | 1928 | 1929 | 1930 | 1935 | 1936 | 1953 | 1958 | 1990 | 2010 | 2023 | 🏆
shawthing
Has liked: 5 times
Been liked: 56 times

Post by shawthing »

Mr Miyagi wrote: Sun Jul 28, 2024 6:22 pm Apparently de Goey had gastro.
I believe the OP is playing up. I'd seriously think of getting him the necessary treatment and surgery if needed so he's right to go for next year. No point playing him in this condition.
Jezza

Post by Jezza »

woodys_world69 wrote: Sun Jul 28, 2024 4:19 pm Was at the game. The whole crowd vibe was different today. Hardly any atmosphere. The biggest cheer came at half time during kiss cam when a brother and sister refused to kiss for the camera when the camera went to them 5 or 6 times.
I think the vibe was different because the tigers know how bad they are and aren’t expecting much. The Pies supporters are all a little shell shocked and just wanted to fast forward to the 4 points without any incidents or injuries.
Agree. The atmosphere was very subdued.
Think it was a case of us hoping to get through unscathed on the injury front and cruise to a comfortable win, which both happened in the end.
Given the form(s) of both teams, I think the crowd was always going to react in this manner.
🏆 | 1902 | 1903 | 1910 | 1917 | 1919 | 1927 | 1928 | 1929 | 1930 | 1935 | 1936 | 1953 | 1958 | 1990 | 2010 | 2023 | 🏆
Haff
Has liked: 7 times
Been liked: 39 times

Post by Haff »

I couldn’t watch today, only saw about 10 minutes of the third. Is it worth watching the replay or stick to the Kayo 18 minute mini?
Judging by the comments my pregame prediction of a hollow win as pretty close despite being a few kicks out on the margin.
The match day thread is for unfiltered BS knee jerk reactions. The time for level headed comment comes after.
Jezza

Post by Jezza »

^ If you have the time, it's worth watching the first three quarters.
The last quarter was a fizzer in comparison.
Mr Miyagi
Has liked: 47 times
Been liked: 112 times

Post by Mr Miyagi »

shawthing wrote: Sun Jul 28, 2024 10:29 pm
Mr Miyagi wrote: Sun Jul 28, 2024 6:22 pm Apparently de Goey had gastro.
I believe the OP is playing up. I'd seriously think of getting him the necessary treatment and surgery if needed so he's right to go for next year. No point playing him in this condition.
Yeah it was Joe Richards who had the gastro.

As for the crowd vibe, it was bloody freezing! I think most of us wanted to be at home in front of the heater. And Richmond supporters had nothing to get fired up about.
Jezza

Post by Jezza »

Fly's presser

Last week, you said you were on the verge of "playing like losers". How did you see the performance today?
"I thought we clearly looked more predictable to each other, so those seeds needed to be planted early in the week and our coaches were awesome this week in terms of getting everybody on the same page and coaching the layers. When you have a performance you're not proud of, there's a lot of things that you start to question and go 'oh, what about this? What about this?' and then most of the stuff that we focused on we thought we could control some of the ripple effects of others parts of our game that weren't on song. Credit to our coaches and players for being way more predictable this week and then narrowing the focus around some things that matter for us".
How did you end up finding more of your style of your game?
"Yeah, I think most people could see there's a long of things that were much improved. It was a step forward, no doubting that. Not just because of the scoreboard, [but] just because of method and reliability and trust and predictability. Some of the layers of our game were there for others to see and judge, but I know internally it wasn't really about the outcome, but more about how we went about it. Today we took a step forward in that regard".
Mason Cox coming back in and Dan McStay kicking a few goals. How important was it having these tall guys in your forward line?
"I've said this for weeks on end, it's been difficult. It's been a revolving door. It's certainly been a tough time for our forwards in terms of personnel changes [which] has been consistent. It's just nice to have some guys there that you just know if we're in certain phases of the game, we can go to them. Dan [McStay] kicked three goals and Mason [Cox] was really important at times too. It just straightened us up a little bit".
You put it on your leaders last week. Some of them had pretty big games today. How did you see their performances?
"Yeah, I thought it was Darcy's [Moore] best game for a long time. 13 intercept possessions. You know, I think he had a close to the same amount of spoils, but he just looked back to his best going for the ball. Strong contest. You got to start at the top, and start with myself and in other parts of our game. We go 'come on, let's get better in these areas' and credit to them and the leaders and others. We're not shying away from wanting to be a better version of ourselves. It starts early in the week, and then today was the exam day. It was all about studying for today, and we passed this test".
How did you see Nick Daicos' performance?
"We come here wanting to not make a statement, but somewhat make amends or for our fans in particular, like show up. Turn up and show the fans that's not us. Well, Nick [Daicos] had 18 [disposals] in the first quarter didn't he? It's a fair way to say that's not us and this is where we're going. He's a remarkable young man that has this ability to just know what we need when we need it. From a first day back from the pre-season, winning time trials. We rested him this week to give him energy. Geez, he had plenty of energy. It's hard to keep adding more affirmation to a young man that has just been quite remarkable".
Not an ideal situation with Jordan De Goey being withdrawn yesterday, and then Joe Richards today. Has Joe Richards got gastro?
"Yeah, he came in for Jordy because we thought we may need an extra forward in our line up that we potentially didn't have in our emergencies. Then he got sick with gastro. It's unfortunate for him that he pulled out, but guys get opportunities. Ned [Long] played quite well and gave us a real presence around the ball. Sull [Lachie Sullivan] comes on late in the game and shows energy. Wil Parker comes in and shows energy in moments. It's pleasing the guys to step up and just be reliable. Jack Bytel had his best game for us, just being reliable. It's pleasing when we got guys playing roles for us and doing it well".
How's De Goey looking going forward?
"It's an unknown one. It's difficult. I don't know how to comment on it. I'll leave it for Jarrod Wade to do that early midweek. It's difficult to know what's going on there for me. I'll leave that for others to make comments and other than he looked really sore this week. He's been looking sore early in the week and we de-loaded him and running in straight lines and getting him to a line. This week he looked really sore, so we'll work through that".
Is it at the point that De Goey's season is in doubt, or is it an ongoing assessment?
"Ongoing would be the way I'd describe it at the moment. Each week seems to start in the same place. Maybe not playing this week might help us start in a different place. Again, I'll wait and see on that".
Was Scott Pendlebury being subbed off purely precautionary?
"Well, we went into this game I wanted to start Pendles as the sub but when Jordy went down and other moving parts we thought just with his load management, we had a 6-day break coming up. He's got a big game next week too. Just a pretty small milestone for him. But we wanted to get in a position where hopefully we could sub him out and three quarter time presented that".
Important result today, how do you see the final month of the season?
"We're going to stay here. Reality is we've taken a step forward, but there's more steps to be taken. It's been a while since I've had a red wine replay. I'm enjoying looking forward to having a glass of red tonight and look at all the good and positive things that we've moved. We got stuck for a few weeks. We got stuck in ourselves and it was nice to step forward today".
How big is the week coming up with Pendlebury's 400th game and the buildup against a big rival?
"I'm keen to stay here for the moment, but well aware that this is a big game for our footy club. Big game for our footy club. We'll celebrate the individuals that we need to and then pay respect to the game".
Any other injury concerns?
"Not at the moment".

https://www.collingwoodfc.com.au/video/ ... 2157790001
SLORT
Been liked: 60 times

Post by SLORT »

Yeah, no injuries from a game, how rare has that been this season?!
So, Richards, Kroog's and McCreery are possible ins, and Dean did well in the magoos.
I know I've banged on a bit about letting players settle in positions but this week against Carlton I'd think about putting Special K on Curnow. K has the energy and intensity, height and mobility to really mess up Charlies hair (as long as it doesn't lead to a maggot fiesta of frees...).
I know we don't seem to play 3 talls in offense, but it would be a shame to see Kroog's dropped now Cox and McStay are back. That's assuming McKay is back in their team. If not then it probably doesn't matter.
BenBronx
Been liked: 1 time

Post by BenBronx »

Nice to end our losing streak but it didn't turn into a much needed percentage booster that I was hoping for. A real tough month ahead so we will need to perform a lot better (and have some luck) to have any hope of making finals in 2024.
qldmagpie67
Been liked: 74 times

Post by qldmagpie67 »

It amazes me sometimes reading these post match threads
Posters are happy to take pot shots at Long or Schulz or Bytel yet they let Sidey slide
Schulz can’t kick for goal let’s nag him but Sidey missed a soda 30m out
Bytel can’t kick yet Sidey missed a open WHE with a pass that landed 10 rows back in the stands under no pressure
Long missed a tackle well at half time Sidey had more ineffective tackles than he had kicks
Let that sink in for a minute more missed tackles than kicks
When Long or Bytel have played over 300 games then sure take shots at them because at that time they’ll have the experience to know better
As for the game don’t get over excited we played a terrible team with nothing to play for
They want #1 draft pick so there not going full throttle
Next week we will confront a team with every thing to play for
We still got beaten by inside 50’s
We still had more turnovers (close to 70% of all scores across the league come from turnovers)
We still gave up 110 marks for the day (we took 83)
We only layed 55 tackles and only 6 inside our attacking 50
We gave up 11 marks inside our defensive 50 against the side who has the least marks inside 50 for the season
Do you think they’ll let Nick run free next week ? Nope Cincotta will go to him
Do you think we will get 20 marks inside our attacking 50 ? Nope
The win doesn’t hide the fact we are still getting shown up the same way just by a very bad side