Post Match. Pies win it for Pendles. All details.

Match previews, reviews, reports and discussion.

Moderator: bbmods

piedys
Has liked: 281 times
Been liked: 66 times

Re: Post Match. Pies win it for Pendles. All details.

Post by piedys »

Piesnchess wrote: โ†‘Sat Aug 03, 2024 11:41 pm OK, fair enough, I get it , but Carlton stars have had an "off night" last 3 weeks, not just tonight. Mate, my hate of them goes way back, to 1970 GF, as a young lad, 44 points up, we still lost, then 79 GF, Harmes over boundary line, buys a hot dog from a kid in the stand, while hes at it. I utterly loathe em, they cheat, no wonder Price Fixer Park was a meeting place for the Underbelly crew. How fitting. I love beating em, by ANY margin , and to be honest, I cant see us making the Finals, even if we win all games, by and large, our season was ruined by never ending ongoing mass injuries, long team, to key players, we never had a settled side, like a friggin revolving door, second most injuries to the Tigers, and look where they are. Losing Murphy was huge, and being the hunted too boot. ! Im not fussed, we won the flag last year, nobody can take it off us. Yeh, im satisfied, a win is a win, take it an run, we broke Blues fans hearts, how sweet it is.
Correct on all counts there sir. 1981 destroyed me; I was there as an 11 y/o. 1990 rebuilt me.

Season is on critical life-support as we speak, but even if it all comes to an abrupt screeching halt next week, or the one after, big deal.
2023 is in the cabinet for allf@ckingtime, and too many sides have passed us in 2024.

Had we won AnzacDay, you'd almost give the season a pass-mark, even if we do finish 9th/10th, with two single digit wins over this filth...
M I L L A N E 4 2 forever
Piesnchess
Has liked: 178 times
Been liked: 72 times

Post by Piesnchess »

Pendles is a football genius, the likes of whom we may never see again. Fact.
Poverty exists not because we cannot feed the poor, but because we cannot satisfy the rich.

Chess and Vodka are born brothers. - Russian proverb.
Piesnchess

Post by Piesnchess »

piedys wrote: โ†‘Sun Aug 04, 2024 12:12 am Had we won AnzacDay, you'd almost give the season a pass-mark, even if we do finish 9th/10th, with two single digit wins over this filth...

Mate, yeh, and it was that fooking Freo match, Perth, last minute when yellow maggot spat dummy, cos he was not handed the ball back properly, gave Dockers free in goal square, and drew the match, I broke the ruddy remote when it hit the wall, THAT was the game that cost us, bigtime. Grrrrrr.!!!!!
Poverty exists not because we cannot feed the poor, but because we cannot satisfy the rich.

piedys

Post by piedys »

Piesnchess wrote: โ†‘Sun Aug 04, 2024 12:23 am
Mate, yeh, and it was that fooking Freo match, Perth, last minute when yellow maggot spat dummy, cos he was not handed the ball back properly, gave Dockers free in goal square, and drew the match, I broke the ruddy remote when it hit the wall, THAT was the game that cost us, bigtime. Grrrrrr.!!!!!
Absolutely, the bald headed arse wipe Nicholls engineered their comeback, and cost us two points.
We won't know for another three weeks perhaps, if that next level cheating has in fact cost us 8th spot?
Just have to add a hypothetical two points to our final H&A table [and deduct two from Freo], and see if it would have made any difference positionally?
eddiesmith
Has liked: 8 times
Been liked: 16 times

Post by eddiesmith »

Great result, best game Iโ€™ve seen Cameron play and JDG was really making a difference up forward.

But concerned over Elliotts finishing at the death these days. That last point he should have picked it up and kicked the sealer instead of the low percentage option of a terrible kick off the ground.
Piesnchess

Post by Piesnchess »

Jeeezus , just heard the Swanettes lost by a massive 100 points, WTF has happened to them ???? Shit, and WE have em next week. this just gets better n better. LOL

piedys

Post by piedys »

Watching the Port/ducks score on bottom RHS of TV screen during fuxtel broadcast of our game, was wondering exactly WTAF was going on?

You can only presume the flu has gone through the place, thus it's an ideal time to strike them recovering after 6 days next friday night.
See what Longmanure says post match.

It reminds me of that time in July 1988, after we beat carlton [for the 2nd time], landing us in 2nd spot behind Whorethorn, then the following week went to Pigsarse Park to play fitzroy, and got done by 15 goals with the game over by half time. We found out later that indeed the flu had floored the players during that week, and thus they were flat and exhausted.
Jezza
Has liked: 127 times
Been liked: 191 times

Post by Jezza »

Still buzzing hours after the match. I'm ecstatic that we've honoured Pendles' 400th with a classic win against the arch-rival. A great night for the football club and something we can look back on fondly for years to come.

I just marvel at Pendles. Universally admired by everyone, ultra consistent and the consummate professional. We've been blessed to have him representing us for the past 18 years. Hopefully there's still more to come before he closes the curtain on his playing career.

Thought we played well until De Goey went off with injury and Carlton started having clearance dominance. I know we conceded the last five goals, but our defence did reasonably well to absorb it because they were under constant siege. Our clearance issues were exposed once De Goey left the field, so that's an issue concerning our midfield more than anything else.

Our pressure was good over the first three quarters and a half, with us winning the tackle count 62-51. It reminded me of what we used to do every week in 2022-2023, so that was very encouraging. Maybe it's too late, but at least we're still fighting to stay in the hunt for a finals spot despite the struggles we've endured this year. Better to go down fighting than to go down without a whimper.

Cameron, Pendles, Hoskin-Elliott, Nick and Howe were the standout players for mine. All pivotal in our victory.

I'll never getting tired of inflicting pain onto Carlton, no matter the circumstances and how ugly it might be. We've toyed with them under Fly with close wins in 2022 (4 points and 1 point) and 2024 (6 points and 3 points). Particularly for our older fans who suffered through the 70s and 80s, I hope this recent success over them is a source of great comfort.

All of a sudden, next week becomes interesting with Sydney in a major slump. I was shocked when I saw they'd lost by 112 points, which is the biggest loss they had since 1993 and the 5th biggest loss in their club's history.
๐Ÿ† | 1902 | 1903 | 1910 | 1917 | 1919 | 1927 | 1928 | 1929 | 1930 | 1935 | 1936 | 1953 | 1958 | 1990 | 2010 | 2023 | ๐Ÿ†
Jezza
Has liked: 127 times
Been liked: 191 times

Post by Jezza »

Fly's presser :D

Pendles was also present in the press conference, but only including Fly's comments here.

Do you feel like Collingwood got their mojo back tonight ?
"I think we're building. This is the time you want to get hot isn't it? I think we're not quite hot, but we're simmering. There's definitely some momentum coming. We've got personnel back in, that strengthens us up. Just like Pendles said, there's some certain things we have in our game we rely on and we can see. We win contested possession against this team [which] is really important. Like Pendles said, for most of the game it looked like a Collingwood style game. Some good signs".
Did the timing of the milestone help to get your DNA back?
"We've been building this for weeks. This is something where you go back three or four weeks, we didn't perform well against Hawthorn and then started to shift some stuff that was really important to us. Some personnel again that come in that allow us to play a bit different. This is not a one week thing, this is something we've been training and rewarding. Again, we feel like there's a little bit of growth in our game from where it's been. There's little things that we take great pride in. 110,000 members! Unbelievable. Thank you to all our members that turned up tonight and ones that stand true to us and support us through everything, so can't thank you enough".
Any surprises that Pendles had such a great performance in his 400th game?
"No, none. Nothing surprises me with this man. He's an incredible player. Some of the stuff he did late. Some of the stuff he did when we needed it. Just watch his hands in traffic when we need him. He probably gets sick of me saying this, but I don't want to wait until I'm older and greyer to appreciate him. He's an incredible player. We'll share a beer at some stage and maybe a red wine maybe. An incredible player".
How did you see the game late in the piece?
"I just want to complement Carlton on the never to say die ability to stay in the game. They've had some incredible close wins in recent times. Cripps gets hot late. Weitering kept marking everything, which made it really difficult for us. We dominated territory for most part of the night, and we got stuck a bit late. We're not finished, and as good as they were in the last quarter, you have to look at that conversely and say 'come on, we've got to do these things better. How's McGovern get there and mark a ball by himself. Are we in tune with each other?' It's probably a timely reminder to tighten the screws on a few things like that".
What's the early prognosis with Jordan De Goey?
"Hamstring. High grade. Would have thought that it would be difficult for him to play in the short and medium term".
High grade hamstring injury would rule De Goey out for September?
"Hard to tell. We'll get a scan and work through that. I'll leave that to others to work through that. I've just been told it's high grade and obviously it's not great for him".
How important is the injection of Beau McCreery into side with the pressure he provides, which is infectious?
"He's an integral part of our pressure. He chases to hurt and catches people. The crowd roars. Again, for a major part of the night we looked like we had guys doing their jobs and doing them really well. In particular, Beau who's a really important player for us. Then you've got Bobby [Hill] and Shooter [Schultz] and all these other guys. Some of these pieces that have been missing are coming back at the right time. Time will tell whether it's too late, but we're still breathing".
https://www.collingwoodfc.com.au/video/ ... 2652740001
๐Ÿ† | 1902 | 1903 | 1910 | 1917 | 1919 | 1927 | 1928 | 1929 | 1930 | 1935 | 1936 | 1953 | 1958 | 1990 | 2010 | 2023 | ๐Ÿ†
VicParkTragic
Has liked: 2 times
Been liked: 6 times

Post by VicParkTragic »

McCreery and Cox made a huge difference to the team last night. You can see why their omission has impacted the side over the last 6 or 8 weeks.we just donโ€™t have the depth to cover players like that when injured.

We played very well for 3 and 1/2 quarters. I enjoyed the win.
Living in Geelong, barracking for the 'pies!
Haff
Has liked: 7 times
Been liked: 39 times

Post by Haff »

^With JDG out thatโ€™s probably any hope we have have doing damage come September. Ah well, live in the now and dealing Carlscum a body blow is enough for this week end
The match day thread is for unfiltered BS knee jerk reactions. The time for level headed comment comes after.
Haff
Has liked: 7 times
Been liked: 39 times

Post by Haff »

VicParkTragic wrote: โ†‘Sun Aug 04, 2024 8:01 am McCreery and Cox made a huge difference to the team last night. You can see why their omission has impacted the side over the last 6 or 8 weeks.we just donโ€™t have the depth to cover players like that when injured.

We played very well for 3 and 1/2 quarters. I enjoyed the win.
And McStay who had a dirty night really but the fwd line looks that much more potent structurally with him in it.
The match day thread is for unfiltered BS knee jerk reactions. The time for level headed comment comes after.
neil
Has liked: 4 times
Been liked: 21 times

Post by neil »

If you only win two games for the year and they are both against Carlscum then its not a wasted year
damn hate them since 1970
Carlscum 120 years being cheating scum
thesoretoothsayer
Been liked: 14 times

Post by thesoretoothsayer »

What a beautiful shank.
woodys_world69
Been liked: 20 times

Post by woodys_world69 »

listening to the boys after the game their voices were gone! from yelling during the game since the crowd was so loud.

Mcstay's game tonight against an inform opponent will be invaluable for the reason of the season and next year. him playing against VFL hacks would take him months to get back into AFL form. He was beaten on the night but we had to isolate the weed