Post Match. Pies win thriller. All comments.

Match previews, reviews, reports and discussion.

Moderator: bbmods

pietillidie
Has liked: 14 times
Been liked: 28 times

Re: Post Match. Pies win thriller. All comments.

Post by pietillidie »

One for the true believers. Great to see players who've tried their guts out for little return getting some reward for effort in a tough year, including Shooter and Johnny Noble, and some out-and-out guns like Nick and Darcy Cameron getting some reward for leading the way. The challenge was to find new motivation to dream again of setting the standards, and they're gradually finding it against the odds. Not only have we blooded a lot of potentials with a light draft hand, lesser lights with more in them like Wilbur (as Beau called him) and Schultz, and those down on form like Q, are sensing they can go better.

It's not been about this season for a while now; rather, it's been about finding the reasons to go all in to be the best again. And you feel they're embracing that ahead of the pre-season, with the added bonus of impacting the ladder and celebrating some big wins.

Carna' Pies!
In the end the rain comes down, washes clean the streets of a blue sky town.
Help Nick's: http://www.magpies.net/nick/bb/fundraising.htm
BazBoy
Been liked: 26 times

Post by BazBoy »

17 pints would be appreciated
I'm not arguing--just explaining why i am right
piedys
Has liked: 281 times
Been liked: 66 times

Post by piedys »

swoop42 wrote: Sat Aug 17, 2024 7:32 pm Holy Sh*t.

A lot will still have to go right from here but for one more day at least the dream remains alive.

Well done Pies.

P.S- Can we have that last quarter against Sydney over again?

FMD we should be in the eight tonight.
Can we have that last quarter against Sydney over again?
Sure; as long as those four walking talking, whistle-obsessed pieces of SHIT aren't officiating.
Pies4shaw wrote: Sat Aug 17, 2024 8:14 pm
stoliboy wrote: Sat Aug 17, 2024 7:27 pm We beat Carlton twice!

We beat Brisbane twice!
Draw favoured us - lucky to get these crap teams twice.
Too bad we aren't Geelong who get North Melbourne and St.Rapist TWICE. UNF#CKINGREAL....
M I L L A N E 4 2 forever
piedys

Post by piedys »

BazBoy wrote: Sat Aug 17, 2024 8:34 pm 17 pints would be appreciated
On the sauce tonight, and into Sunday mate?
RudeBoy
Been liked: 70 times

Post by RudeBoy »

Another amazing win! FMD, I didn't see it coming.

Nick Daicos is half our team. Without him, we are a bottom 6 side.

Another great game from Cameron and old man Sidey. So glad for Schultz - those winning goals could be the making of him.

The most amazing thing to me, however, was we beat the most in-form team in the comp with 3 absolute passengers, who are nowhere near up to AFL standard, in Long, Bytel and Parker.

Anyway, we live to fight another day....maybe.

Postscript - watching on TV I saw our fitness guy Wade give Nick Daicos some pain killers at half time. He was obviously playing with some injury of some sort. What a phucking legend!
piedys

Post by piedys »

RudeBoy wrote: Sat Aug 17, 2024 8:42 pm Another amazing win! FMD, I didn't see it coming.

Nick Daicos is half our team. Without him, we are a bottom 6 side.

Another great game from Cameron and old man Sidey. So glad for Schultz - those winning goals could be the making of him.

The most amazing thing to me, however, was we beat the most in-form team in the comp with 3 absolute passengers, who are nowhere near up to AFL standard, in Long, Bytel and Parker.

Anyway, we live to fight another day....maybe.
Long, Bytel and Parker probably getting selected in midfield by default, as we are obviously minus JDG and Mitchell for 2024.
This scenario might only run another week, or maybe two lol. Obviously they need to rid their games of fumbling at this level, for 2025.
I was sure Long's soda miss on goal, and contact with the maggot at centre bounce had cost us the game deep into the 4th term.
Anyhoo, they found a way at the death. Onto the Toffs now, whose midfield is as inconsistent and dysfunctional as ours!
Mr Miyagi
Has liked: 47 times
Been liked: 112 times

Post by Mr Miyagi »

Thought Parker did okay. Sidey was terrific as a tagger again.
magpiemike
Been liked: 4 times

Post by magpiemike »

IQ - Tackle of the year. Saved the game. Kept our (Ill fated) hopes alive. Deserves a vote.
Mr Miyagi

Post by Mr Miyagi »

Trying to watch the replay and Kayo is just shithouse. Is it the worst streaming in the country? Constant stuttering. Disney, Netflix all running smoothly in ultra HD so it’s not my wifi.
The Black and White Lion
Has liked: 178 times
Been liked: 65 times

Post by The Black and White Lion »

^ sorry Mr Miyagi. I'm in deepest darkest Victoria with weak internet and my Kayo is streaming fine. No Disney though
Last edited by The Black and White Lion on Sat Aug 17, 2024 10:27 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Ed Allen kicked our last goal of the year at the 58minute mark
Charlie Oneeye
Has liked: 16 times
Been liked: 13 times

Post by Charlie Oneeye »

Parker NQR for AFL quite yet. Some clangers early, got beaten in some contests he should have killed. Yet, I like the way he plays, seems to be in good spots, seems to make good decisions, and seems to be a fluent playmaker. He is showing signs of big things to come.

I don't think Bytel was injured, and yet Parker got to play out the game spending a lot of time on the bench in the last (I think). The coaches also must think he has a lot of upside.

But gotta improve... not flatline. Time will tell.
warburton lad
Has liked: 1 time
Been liked: 46 times

Post by warburton lad »

A win for the ages to be sure.

Brisbane have a gorilla on their back called Collingwood- their chant went up when they were 18 points up in the last... so sweet to have made that redundant.

Special kudos to Josh Fraser and the VFL team who also conquered Brisbane- Dean, Allan, McInnes, Macrae, Sullivan in our best- I would assume that one of them come into the 23 next week for Bytel and, perhaps Parker.

The game of Nick Daicos was just next level- he and Cameron will battle out for the Copeland Trophy- either would be a worthy winner... Having Cox and McStay bringing the ball to ground in the forward half brought Schultz, McCreery into the game. Elliott and Hill failed to score a goal, but the other boys stepped up un the crisis.

Quaynor's run down tackle was match-saving and should be played on a loop in the review on Monday.

I wrote several weeks back that no club will want to play us should we make finals- this team has a great spirit and is coming home with a wet sail (much like our 1991 season where we flew home very late and just missed the finals).

I hope that the Dogs, Hawks and Carlton lose tomorrow- would make Round 24 fascinating!

Floreat Pica folks..
Firm in the belief that number 17 flag is only months away...
Jezza
Has liked: 127 times
Been liked: 191 times

Post by Jezza »

Epic finish. Absolutely rapt with the 'never say die' attitude of the playing group.

Finals footy is conceivable if we beat Melbourne next Friday night and certain results go in our favour, namely Fremantle and Carlton slipping up.

I'm in awe of the clutch moments we produced in the last 5 minutes of the match. IQ's tackle on Bailey was a match saving tackle, followed by Schultz kicking two red time goals and then Beau putting us in front. Just scintillating to witness as a supporter.

Nick was excellent, despite facing a tag. His second quarter goals were of the highest quality when we needed someone to get us back into the game.

Absolutely buzzing tonight :D
🏆 | 1902 | 1903 | 1910 | 1917 | 1919 | 1927 | 1928 | 1929 | 1930 | 1935 | 1936 | 1953 | 1958 | 1990 | 2010 | 2023 | 🏆
Big T
Has liked: 5 times
Been liked: 57 times

Post by Big T »

Schulz really showed he is more than just a pressure forward with that play. He thought quickly, dribbled purposefully to Elliot and ran immediately on demanding the ball back and finished confidently. Very smart play. Still savage about the first round pick but he is perfect for our team and culture and a significant upgrade on Ginnivan and am now confident time will show that.
Buon Giorno
Mr Miyagi

Post by Mr Miyagi »

The Black and White Lion wrote: Sat Aug 17, 2024 9:58 pm ^ sorry Mr Miyagi. I'm in deepest darkest Victoria with weak internet and my Kayo is streaming fine. No Disney though
The win today was like a Disney fairy tale! I think we woke up sleeping beauty a little too late to make the finals though, but still great to see the players having a red hot crack regardless.