#32 Will Hoskin-Elliott

This is a Collingwood Bulletin Board - use this forum for general, Pies-related topics. For other footy topics, use Nick's Other AFL forum, and for non-footy sporting topics please use Nick's Sports Bar. For non-sporting topics please use the Victoria Park Tavern.

Moderator: bbmods

Mugwump

Post by Mugwump »

Last edited by Mugwump on Sun Jun 24, 2018 9:02 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Two more flags before I die!
PyreneesPie
Has liked: 66 times

Post by PyreneesPie »

pietillidie wrote:
I think the lesson is that we can't ignore difference and passion in recruiting and coaching any more than we can stop thinking of elephants, as the cliche goes. Mercifully, the side is now more 'eccentric', and as a consequence it has more strings to its bow, whether be individual pace, skill or mongrel. This adds zest and zing to the structure and discipline.

Really interesting post pietillidie, especially the quoted bit above. Thanks for that insight.
Dave The Man
Been liked: 5 times

Post by Dave The Man »

Loved the Specky on Daisy
I am Da Man
lanstro

Post by lanstro »

Where can I buy a life membership to the WHE fanclub? Sign me right up. Has all the tools to be a multiple AA forward, and as I've told everyone who might care, he's the highest potential forward on our list.
Crazypie

Post by Crazypie »

Buckley on talking footy last Tuesday mentioned in 2010 our highest goal kicker was Didak on 41 (not sure if that includes finals or not) but my first thought was of WHE... Those pray mantis arms mark everything and such a great kick... This blokes going to kick 50+ what a Gun!
Go Pies!
E

Post by E »

Albert Parker

Post by Albert Parker »

pietillidie wrote:Yeah, I think he typifies what the club has learned through the recent tough spell: we also need players who can beat their opponent through individual giftedness who are more than just cogs in a machine. Think the three Ds: Daicos, Didak and Davis.

I don't mean this in the obvious sense that a club needs to recruit the 'best' players. I mean that we need a good handful of players who run to their own clocks and cut against the grain, particularly when everyone else is flat and we're three goals down and about to be overrun. Eventually, we can tame them just enough that they can also play a disciplined role within the team structure.

We've been beaten by such players in enough grand finals over the years that you'd think the club would never forget this, but the pressure to double-down on control and discipline is difficult to resist.

I was just watching Bucks' press conference, and my Beloved One asked me why the team is doing so well. At that moment, Bucks said he views Stephenson a bit like he views his own sons when they play. I got the impression he meant more than the fact he is particularly critical of Stephenson; rather, he was also hinting that the lad is of special interest to him, a bit like unique and gifted players such as Leon, Didak and Tarrant interested Malthouse and even Eddie. These were different to the players Malthouse respected as accomplished people, such as Clement and Wakelin, and different again to those he admired for getting the most out of themselves, such as Licuria and Presti.

I think the lesson is that we can't ignore difference and passion in recruiting and coaching any more than we can stop thinking of elephants, as the cliche goes. Mercifully, the side is now more 'eccentric', and as a consequence it has more strings to its bow, whether be individual pace, skill or mongrel. This adds zest and zing to the structure and discipline.

I don't follow the threads on here like I used to, but I think those such as David and Rudeboy who criticised the club for over-sanitising its culture and recruitment were probably right. As were those like yourself and Stui who were more of a mind to give the club and coach time to learn their way through the malaise.

Regardless of how the season unfolds against higher-fancied teams, I think we started to mature as a club last season, and deserve credit for our ability to learn new tricks.
A mature and considered post. Nice perspective.
One team, one dream - the Pies and this year's premiership
Bruce Gonsalves
Been liked: 2 times

Post by Bruce Gonsalves »

Nice to have a #32 that can kick accurately.
stui magpie
Has liked: 72 times
Been liked: 73 times

Post by stui magpie »

If Elliot get's his body right, a foward line containing Elliot, WHE and Stephenson with mids rotating through and the big Cox up there has massive X factor.

Interesting WHE is only 12 months younger than Billy, and when you compare his stats this year to Billy's 2017 stats, basically at the same age, very very similar.
Every dead body on Mt Everest was once a highly motivated person, so maybe just calm the **** down.
5 from the wing on debut

Post by 5 from the wing on debut »

Pies4shaw
Has liked: 54 times
Been liked: 87 times

Post by Pies4shaw »

Bruce Gonsalves wrote:Nice to have a #32 that can kick accurately.
WHE is a highly-skilled player. The comparisons to Cloke are superficial, at best, though. In that regard, it is worth bearing in mind that (amongst many other things) Cloke kicked more than 5 times as many goals as WHE has done in less than 3 times as many games as WHE has played.

Also, by the time Travis was WHE's present age, he'd just finished a 69 goal, 95 contested mark season. WHE has never approached that. Mind you, WHE's not alone, there - neither did Royce Hart, yet he's an official AFL Legend and was the CHF in the AFL's Team of the Century. (Meanwhile, we still snipe at Cloke from the sidelines, even though history shows that, despite his fallibility in front of goals, he is one of the greatest players ever to pull on the black and white).
5 from the wing on debut

Post by 5 from the wing on debut »

Pies4shaw wrote:
Bruce Gonsalves wrote:Nice to have a #32 that can kick accurately.
WHE is a highly-skilled player. The comparisons to Cloke are superficial, at best, though. In that regard, it is worth bearing in mind that (amongst many other things) Cloke kicked more than 5 times as many goals as WHE has done in less than 3 times as many games as WHE has played.

Also, by the time Travis was WHE's present age, he'd just finished a 69 goal, 95 contested mark season. WHE has never approached that. Mind you, WHE's not alone, there - neither did Royce Hart, yet he's an official AFL Legend and was the CHF in the AFL's Team of the Century. (Meanwhile, we still snipe at Cloke from the sidelines, even though history shows that, despite his fallibility in front of goals, he is one of the greatest players ever to pull on the black and white).
Why have you jumped in to defend Cloke? I thought that he was referring to Paul Rizonico.

PS. Cloke has played a few games for Hurstbridge in the NFL. In a surprising turn of events, he is struggling to kick goals, and to kick straight.
sem

Hoski-Elliott at FF

Post by sem »

CFC has suffered with Stvo out .

Hoskin - Elliot to me is the closest style of player to Stevo .

He can run and mark and kick well if given the chance to play as he did last week deep in our forward line and 4 goals .

Last week we had 11 goal kickers like we used to at our best .

When Cox went off injured the ball stopped going into the forward line in a hail mary fashion hoping Cox would mark the ball .

So then there was not just the COX option BUT many small players got into action that have not been in the mix last few weeks . Many options and so we kicked 18 goals

I realise that CFC played the bottom team that has not won BUT the style of play of CFC looked good like it used to .

Please get back to Stevos replacement and fantastic option of W E at FF .

It is no use playing the game style of last few weeks but try and do what happened last week .

if a tall forward is placed at FF this week say goodbye to the season .

I say again no matter bottom team last week BUT GET more players involved like last week / YES it is harder for the opposition to stop 10 players running into forward line than one tall option with strict instructions to kick hi to tall guy .

10 options better than ONE .
THERE IS NO SHADING IT IS AS PLAIN AS BLACK AND WHITE THAT THERE IS ONLY BLACK AND WHITE
Presti35
Has liked: 164 times
Been liked: 62 times

Post by Presti35 »

WHEFF
A Goal Saved Is 2 Goals Earned!
K
Has liked: 3 times
Been liked: 17 times

Post by K »

Presti35 wrote:WHEFF
PHWOAR?