Farewell #28 Nathan Murphy

Player President threads here thanks.

Moderator: bbmods

stoliboy
Has liked: 2 times
Been liked: 47 times

Post by stoliboy »

Thanks Nathan.

It has been a pleasure to watch you over the years take those amazing marks and make those amazing spoils in defence.
So many times you rebounded an opposition attack or saved an opposition goal.
Your attack on the ball was also a great message to the rest of the team to attack the ball and play hard.
Good luck with your retirement. The right decision for your health.
Well done on the Premiership.
Sydney Collingwood Supporters Club
http://sydneymagpies.magpies.net/
BazBoy
Been liked: 28 times

Post by BazBoy »

The gr8 28 -Murph wore it with distinction.
I’d love to go back in club’s history to know the gr8,s that join Murph giving glory to the Great 28
I'm not arguing--just explaining why i am right
the fuzz

Post by the fuzz »

^ Crosisca!!
LaurieHolden
Has liked: 145 times
Been liked: 145 times

Post by LaurieHolden »

^just let the Murphy tributes flow a bit before taking the thread off on another track.
"The Club's not Jock, Ted and Gerry" (& Eddie)
2023 AFL Premiers
Damien
Has liked: 3 times
Been liked: 11 times

Post by Damien »

If ya read this Murph, we luv ya and we’ll miss ya. You’re a Collingwood immortal because you’re a Premiership player. You can dine out on that for the rest of your life. Plenty will want to buy you a beer, me included if I ever bump into you. Enjoy a great future mate. You deserve it.
'Collingwood are the Bradmans of Football'
The Herald - 1930
stui magpie
Has liked: 71 times
Been liked: 73 times

Post by stui magpie »

Murph apparently on the front Bar tonight.
Every dead body on Mt Everest was once a highly motivated person, so maybe just calm the **** down.
K
Been liked: 17 times

Post by K »

‘The constant battle’: Why Collingwood’s Nathan Murphy is hanging up the boots at 24

https://www.theage.com.au/sport/afl/pri ... 5fk1g.html

'Murphy spent time in the off-season with defensive coach Jordan Roughead and conditioning coach Jarrod Wade trying to find ways to return to the game after the AFL gave him the all-clear to continue playing in December. Murphy and his parents, Deborah and Shaun, met with the Collingwood board to ensure all parties were conscious of the risk before that decision was announced.

Murphy said he had no regrets about the sometimes reckless way he played the game, running back with the flight to mark and attacking ground balls, nor the way in which the decision was reached.

“I don’t think I would have honestly got a game if I didn’t play the way I did. I was a guy who couldn’t really kick and handball the football so I had to do this stuff to get in the team,” Murphy said.

“The best thing about it was the boys and the coaches rewarded them and were so grateful for what I brought to the team. I felt really valued which is all you really want as a footballer and as a person.

“It’s a weight off my shoulders. The panel were great in recommending things for me to help me through this process ... it’s not all doom and gloom.”

Murphy took every precaution after the grand final incident, including not drinking alcohol during the grand final celebrations: “This is just a game of football. We wake up the next day, no matter what, and life still goes on.”'
K
Been liked: 17 times

Post by K »

Well done to the club for looking after him:

'Collingwood made the extraordinary decision to hand Murphy an extra season on his contract over summer so he could make a call on returning to football with his future financially secure.
It's understood the Pies awarded him that extra season ... in the knowledge he was unlikely to play out that deal. ...
He will walk away paid out in fully by the Pies with a financial package of around $1 million taking in the 2024 and 2025 seasons.

Murphy was finally retired by the AFL medical panel made up of neurological experts on Saturday even as his brain scans continued to come up with no damage or deterioration.
Had he retired without that medical status the Pies might have not been able to exempt his 2025 wage from their salary cap.
But they were prepared to take that risk to ensure he was not going to suffer financially if he walked away.'

(J. Ralph & C. Cavanagh, The Australian)
Pete 70
Been liked: 15 times

Post by Pete 70 »

F… I love this club. If the club did as reported then man that is real leadership.
Dispatches from a foreign land
think positive
Has liked: 212 times
Been liked: 84 times

Post by think positive »

gees, that literally made me teary, well-done Pies xx

Man, I just want to hug him!!
You cant fix stupid, turns out you cant quarantine it either!
1eyedpie
Has liked: 6 times
Been liked: 1 time

Post by 1eyedpie »

Thanks for the memories Murph.
You will always be in our hearts as a premiership hero!

I hope your next phase in life is just as rewarding.
Never disperse your focus unless absolutely necessary. Face one adversary at a time!

BARRACK HARD!
Piesnchess
Has liked: 178 times
Been liked: 72 times

Post by Piesnchess »

TEN CONCUSSIONS, speaks for itself. NO wonder Murph has called time, he had too. I saw John Platten interviewed not long ago, he was concussed many times, but back in his day , you got hit in first qtr, then went back on after half time,,fact. Platten said he only now has just 40% of his brain that functions, its been awful for him now days. So, no wonder Murph has retired.!
Poverty exists not because we cannot feed the poor, but because we cannot satisfy the rich.

Chess and Vodka are born brothers. - Russian proverb.
Newelly
Has liked: 40 times
Been liked: 7 times

Post by Newelly »

Sad to see him go but 10 concussions is quite a toll at such a young age.
He spoke to JJJ Hack this afternoon - https://www.abc.net.au/triplej/programs ... /103700532

All the best for him in his future endeavours.
Chuffed to have seen 3 flag wins in my lifetime but still greedy for more.
Jezza
Has liked: 127 times
Been liked: 191 times

Post by Jezza »

Ten concussions is significant. For the sake of his health, it's ultimately the right decision for him.
Big loss for us as a team, but health comes first.
🏆 | 1902 | 1903 | 1910 | 1917 | 1919 | 1927 | 1928 | 1929 | 1930 | 1935 | 1936 | 1953 | 1958 | 1990 | 2010 | 2023 | 🏆
Donny
Has liked: 46 times
Been liked: 23 times

Post by Donny »

Collingwood has offered a job to the Murph.

"Murphy - who's been battling ongoing concussion problems since the 2023 Grand Final - confirmed he will be taking an off-field role with the Pies, admitting, "I just want to stay around this club."

Nine.
Donny.

It's a game. Enjoy it. :D