Farewell #33 Jack Ginnivan

Use this forum for non-Collingwood related footy topics that don't relate specifically to any of the other forums. For non-footy sporting topics please use Nick's Sports Bar and for non-sporting topics please use the Victoria Park Tavern.

Moderator: bbmods

Jezza
Has liked: 129 times
Been liked: 191 times

Post by Jezza »

Magpietothemax wrote:Very interesting cartoon.
The most cutting aspect is the fact that Ginni is holding an "Oscar" in his hand, while being decapitated.
The umpire's total indifference to the physical violence being inflicted on Ginny is brilliantly captured as well.
However, I would not have made out Redman as the devil in this cartoon. I think that aspect is flawed. The devil is not Redman, it is the AFL that has created the conditions where a Redman believes that he can attack Ginny in any way without penalty. Redman should look more like just a dumb dog, rather than a satanic one. The evil should be represented somehow with the AFL represented in the cartoon in some way ( I am not artistic so cannot speculate how), messaging to the umpire that the decapitation of Ginnivan is quite acceptable, and he should just order KFC.
Good summary, MTTM.

It's a provocative cartoon, but it does well to illustrate the multiple layers in the Ginnivan situation.
🏆 | 1902 | 1903 | 1910 | 1917 | 1919 | 1927 | 1928 | 1929 | 1930 | 1935 | 1936 | 1953 | 1958 | 1990 | 2010 | 2023 | 🏆
Donny
Has liked: 47 times
Been liked: 24 times

Post by Donny »

In all the Jack Ginnivan bullshit, where is the Ginni interview, other than the after PA win chat with Sarah Jones ?

Seems the comms all have their opinions. eg. Ginni's been getting away with murder.

Why hasn't he been asked for his side of the story ? :(
Donny.

It's a game. Enjoy it. :D
What'sinaname
Has liked: 2 times
Been liked: 9 times

Post by What'sinaname »

Because of the 3 rules of the media.

Media rule #1. Don't let truth get in the way of a good story
Media rule #2. Tell the story enough and it becomes the truth.
Media rule #3. Read rule #1
lazzadesilva
Been liked: 51 times

Post by lazzadesilva »

And once you get a good story, beat it up to the brink every day
I term the current Collingwood attack based strategy “Unceasing Waves” like on a stormy and windy day with rough seas. A Perfect Storm ☔️
Pies4shaw
Has liked: 55 times
Been liked: 87 times

Post by Pies4shaw »

How did he not get a free kick against Salem with 10 m 28 s to play in the 3rd quarter? Salem threw the ball at him and then shoved him over with the ball out of bounds. The incident sparked a fight, as you'd expect - but, no, nothing for the innocent player, there.
Mr Miyagi
Has liked: 48 times
Been liked: 113 times

Post by Mr Miyagi »

Pies4shaw wrote:How did he not get a free kick against Salem with 10 m 28 s to play in the 3rd quarter? Salem threw the ball at him and then shoved him over with the ball out of bounds. The incident sparked a fight, as you'd expect - but, no, nothing for the innocent player, there.
It would have been reversed when we pushed a Melbourne player to the ground. Which the ump didn’t pay thankfully because he felt guilty for not giving the free to Ginnivan. Ginni’sbig grin when he got a free earlier and waved at us in the crowd was priceless though
think positive
Has liked: 216 times
Been liked: 86 times

Post by think positive »

Pies4shaw wrote:How did he not get a free kick against Salem with 10 m 28 s to play in the 3rd quarter? Salem threw the ball at him and then shoved him over with the ball out of bounds. The incident sparked a fight, as you'd expect - but, no, nothing for the innocent player, there.
thankyou i just argued this in the umpire thread, he should have got a free
You cant fix stupid, turns out you cant quarantine it either!
eddiesmith
Has liked: 8 times
Been liked: 16 times

Post by eddiesmith »

Just watching the replay and I've changed my tune, that's not a free kick to Ginni in any game, if people want shit like that paid then there'll be 100 free kicks a game and you'll lose your shit if it was paid in the dying seconds of a grand final.
think positive
Has liked: 216 times
Been liked: 86 times

Post by think positive »

wel you are allowed to be wrong

and you are!
You cant fix stupid, turns out you cant quarantine it either!
sherrife

Post by sherrife »

eddiesmith wrote:Just watching the replay and I've changed my tune, that's not a free kick to Ginni in any game, if people want shit like that paid then there'll be 100 free kicks a game and you'll lose your shit if it was paid in the dying seconds of a grand final.
Agree. He dove to the ground after a bit of a push. Needs to cut it out of his game.
I would be ashamed to admit that I had risen from the ranks. When I rise it will be with the ranks... - Eugene Debs
What'sinaname

Post by What'sinaname »

think positive wrote:wel you are allowed to be wrong

and you are!
The game is better viewing when both eyes are open. :wink:
What'sinaname

Post by What'sinaname »

sherrife wrote:
eddiesmith wrote:Just watching the replay and I've changed my tune, that's not a free kick to Ginni in any game, if people want shit like that paid then there'll be 100 free kicks a game and you'll lose your shit if it was paid in the dying seconds of a grand final.
Agree. He dove to the ground after a bit of a push. Needs to cut it out of his game.
It was a dive Greg Louganis would have been proud of. MRO could fine him for staging.
Pies4shaw
Has liked: 55 times
Been liked: 87 times

Post by Pies4shaw »

I can't believe that sensible people think it was OK for Salem to take out his rage at being pantsed in the contest by throwing the ball at Ginnivan and then shoving him over. There's no call for it - pathetic little worm.
What'sinaname

Post by What'sinaname »

Pies4shaw wrote:I can't believe that sensible people think it was OK for Salem to take out his rage at being pantsed in the contest by throwing the ball at Ginnivan and then shoving him over. There's no call for it - pathetic little worm.
The players retaliated which is all we expect. I can't believe you think the umpires should be paying a free kick. We have enough issues with umpiring, without them now having to officiate every push and shove. Gee, every game would start with a free kick instead of a bounce ...... which might not be such a bad idea given our centre clearance issues
eddiesmith
Has liked: 8 times
Been liked: 16 times

Post by eddiesmith »

What'sinaname wrote:
sherrife wrote:
It was a dive Greg Louganis would have been proud of. MRO could fine him for staging.
Yep, it was a shocking dive, he was barely touched.