#8 Lachie Schultz

This is a Collingwood Bulletin Board - use this forum for general, Pies-related topics. For other footy topics, use Nick's Other AFL forum, and for non-footy sporting topics please use Nick's Sports Bar. For non-sporting topics please use the Victoria Park Tavern.

Moderator: bbmods

Magpie Russ
Has liked: 19 times
Been liked: 14 times

Re: #8 Lachie Schultz

Post by Magpie Russ »

Piesnchess wrote: Mon Jul 22, 2024 10:04 am^
Agree on all the points.
Would add that it is unfair for Schultz to carry the burden of a Top 10 pick (please Footy Gawds let us make the 8 and finish about the Dawks). If there is a burden to be carried then it is on our recruiting team, the administrators, not the player.
LaurieHolden
Has liked: 145 times
Been liked: 145 times

Post by LaurieHolden »

While the cost to land him is a subject for debate, FWIW, over 2024 Shooter for the role we drafted him has kicked 19 goals over 15 games at an average of 1.27.
He is ranked 18th in Tackles Inside 50 Per Game & ranked 8th in Total Tackles Inside 50.

Ginnivan has kicked 19 goals over 16 games at an average of 1.19.

https://www.footywire.com/afl/footy/ft_ ... 1=S&fid2=S
"The Club's not Jock, Ted and Gerry" (& Eddie)
2023 AFL Premiers
Dark Beanie
Has liked: 2 times
Been liked: 16 times

Post by Dark Beanie »

Interesting comparison.

I suppose there may not have been so much carry on if Ginnivan hadn't got so many possessions & goals against the Pies on Saturday.

With Checkers & Billy being out injured and Bobby not scoring as much, more pressure on Schultz to kick goals not just be a tacklers on the F50.
Last edited by Dark Beanie on Sat Jul 27, 2024 11:54 am, edited 1 time in total.
If you are foolish enough to be contented, don't show it, but just grumble with the rest. - Jerome K Jerome
What'sinaname
Been liked: 9 times

Post by What'sinaname »

LaurieHolden wrote: Mon Jul 22, 2024 12:01 pm While the cost to land him is a subject for debate, FWIW, over 2024 Shooter for the role we drafted him has kicked 19 goals over 15 games at an average of 1.27.
He is ranked 18th in Tackles Inside 50 Per Game & ranked 8th in Total Tackles Inside 50.

Ginnivan has kicked 19 goals over 16 games at an average of 1.19.

https://www.footywire.com/afl/footy/ft_ ... 1=S&fid2=S
Now compare by age and the results fall heavily into Ginnivan's favour.

Also Ginnivan is providing the same forward pressure as Schultz is this year but is being far more damaging. He's had six games with 20+ disposals to Schultz's zero.

I would say that Mitchell is getting far more out of Ginnivan than McRae is.

Also, McRae is gettign far less out of Schultz than Longmuir did.

Dare I say, McRae is possibly not a best coach of small forwards.
Fighting against the objectification of woman.
lazzadesilva
Been liked: 51 times

Post by lazzadesilva »

Dare I say that the forwards coach/s should carry a lot of the blame for the lame efforts 😡 Our forwards have been awful and horribly out of form but stupidly, I’m hoping that they will turn it around against the Tigers. They will probably be ripped apart again but my faith and hope remains that they will perform better. It’s a very faint hope but I’ll take the chance. We have to get better and this game might the one.
I term the current Collingwood attack based strategy “Unceasing Waves” like on a stormy and windy day with rough seas. A Perfect Storm ☔️
Pies4shaw
Has liked: 54 times
Been liked: 85 times

Post by Pies4shaw »

I had a nightmare that Collingwood traded my favourite forward for a small, slow player who had no special talent but a solid-ish work rate. I woke up in a cold sweat ....
LaurieHolden
Has liked: 145 times
Been liked: 145 times

Post by LaurieHolden »

Lazza, it doesn't help that we don't have a former forward as a forward coach. Scott Selwood! Cmon...
I'll post elsewhere regarding that oversight.
"The Club's not Jock, Ted and Gerry" (& Eddie)
2023 AFL Premiers
Pies4shaw
Has liked: 54 times
Been liked: 85 times

Post by Pies4shaw »

What'sinaname wrote: Mon Jul 22, 2024 4:40 pm McRae is gettign far less out of Schultz than Longmuir did.
Is that accurate? - my feeling was he'd always been a vanilla plodder. Here's his career as a whole compared with his 2024 - nothing much in the way of statistically significant variation between the before and after, really:

https://www.footywire.com/afl/footy/ft_ ... 1=C&fid2=S

If he had half Ginnivan's talent, he might have been an OK get.
Piesnchess
Has liked: 178 times
Been liked: 72 times

Post by Piesnchess »

Perhaps a fit and firing McStay will be a big boost to Lachie, take pressure off him. ? Losing Mihochek , Cox, to injury did him no favours either.
Poverty exists not because we cannot feed the poor, but because we cannot satisfy the rich.

Chess and Vodka are born brothers. - Russian proverb.
What'sinaname
Been liked: 9 times

Post by What'sinaname »

Pies4shaw wrote: Mon Jul 22, 2024 6:43 pm Is that accurate?
I was looking at his last two seasons. But you're right. We've swapped for an older, inferior player.
Fighting against the objectification of woman.
Big T
Has liked: 6 times
Been liked: 58 times

Post by Big T »

Only option is to get behind him and hope he succeeds.
Buon Giorno
stui magpie
Has liked: 71 times
Been liked: 73 times

Post by stui magpie »

@What'sinaname , technically we didn't "swap" one for the other.

We made the call to trade for Schultz and on form it looks like we paid well over the mark.

You assume that having traded to bring him in, we were bound to play him. It didn't necessarily mean he would take Ginni's spot, but that certainly looked like the obvious one.

Once we brought him in, Ginni's managers phone starting ringing, Whorethorn offered him 4 years on much better coin than he was getting on his 1 year remaining with us, so he asked for a trade. No one could blame him for that. As it was late in the trade period we had 2 choices- agree to the trade and take what we could get or hold him to his contract and challenge him to fight for a spot. We chose option A. There's likely reasons for that, that go beyond talent.

At the end of the day, Ginni went into a team on the climb and is improving every week, Schultz came into a team on the (so it seems) decline and has likely suffered from the combination of having to learn a new system and role and being in a team decimated by injury.

It's not Shultz's fault we offered him $ and it's not Ginni's fault that Whorethorn offered him $ and they both took it but at this stage, it looks like we royally fvcked up this one and lets not forget, Wright was there when it happened so anyone blaming Hine is missing the point.

All we can do is get behind Shultz, wish him the best (He's now one of us) and hope like hell it works out.
Every dead body on Mt Everest was once a highly motivated person, so maybe just calm the **** down.
pietillidie
Has liked: 14 times
Been liked: 28 times

Post by pietillidie »

^Excellent post on all fronts. (Just noticed the 'Like' button, so you got one of those as well!).
In the end the rain comes down, washes clean the streets of a blue sky town.
Help Nick's: http://www.magpies.net/nick/bb/fundraising.htm
SLORT
Has liked: 133 times
Been liked: 61 times

Post by SLORT »

I find it funny that people keep on slagging him off to be honest. At Freo his best year 2023 he averaged 1.4 goals a game, this year he's averaged 1.3. I'd say give the guy a break and compare his second best year averages to see how he's actually done ~
2022 - disposals = 13.5, marks = 4, goals = 1.3, tackles = 3, i50 = 2.4, clangers = 2.9
2024 - disposals = 11.3, marks = 3.2, goals = 1.3, tackles = 3.9, i50 = 1.9, clangers = 1.9

I'd suggest we got exactly what we paid for. It was the bullshit hyperbole and wishful thinking of PR department that set our expectations unreasonably high. I personally think he'll be even better next year. Just please, stop expecting him to be a Toby Greene or Charlie Cameron.
Last edited by SLORT on Fri Jul 26, 2024 6:50 am, edited 1 time in total.
Big T
Has liked: 6 times
Been liked: 58 times

Post by Big T »

Agree Slort, only problem is we paid the Toby Greene price. It will take a while to accept the situation we are in re the draft.
Buon Giorno