Trade Targets ~ Free Agency & MSD player discussion

This is a Collingwood Bulletin Board - use this forum for general, Pies-related topics. For other footy topics, use Nick's Other AFL forum, and for non-footy sporting topics please use Nick's Sports Bar. For non-sporting topics please use the Victoria Park Tavern.

Moderator: bbmods

Gerry Cooper
Has liked: 199 times
Been liked: 46 times

Re: Trade Targets ~ Free Agency & MSD player discussion

Post by Gerry Cooper »

I think you lot need to go have a cup of tea, a nice Bex and a good lie down. :D
We've all heard that a million monkeys banging on a million typewriters will eventually reproduce the entire works of Shakespeare. Now, thanks to the Internet, we know this is not true.�
Presti35
Has liked: 389 times
Been liked: 177 times

Post by Presti35 »

^ As Richmond would say, I need more than that.
A Goal Saved Is 2 Goals Earned!
Dave The Man
Has liked: 1 time
Been liked: 16 times

Post by Dave The Man »

Presti35 wrote: Fri Oct 11, 2024 6:27 pm What makes you think we'll drop out?
Just listen to Leppitch Interview from today

Does not sound Confident and sounding Sick of Trying so many Different Trades and being Rejected
I am Da Man
Presti35
Has liked: 389 times
Been liked: 177 times

Post by Presti35 »

Just had a listen DTM, and seen a few journos say similar.

I still reckon we'll try for Houston over the weekend in hope a Monday deal can be done. But I'm confident we also have a plan B which is still going to give us some good options. In some ways its a win-win.

We either get Houston or we get 13 to use at the draft or split somewhere else.

I reckon we should get 13 over the line asap tho. There seems to be a shittonne of clubs coming for it. Just get it done independently of Port if we have to.
A Goal Saved Is 2 Goals Earned!
slangman
Has liked: 35 times
Been liked: 21 times

Post by slangman »

I really like the messaging coming from Leppa in regards to protecting the future.

I’d very very much like to get Houston but not at all costs. I understand that it’s not a simple negotiation but I would make sure Port are fully aware that playing unrealistic hardball with Houston will directly impact their ability to obtain Richards.

As a few have already stated taking pick 13 to the draft is not a bad outcome.
- Side By Side -
qldmagpie67
Been liked: 113 times

Post by qldmagpie67 »

Is it just me or does there seem to be a disconnect between what the coach said about always going for ready made players and Leppa saying not selling our future away ?
So we have win now v what the future looks like
Win now is all based on 1 final flag crack and if we’re using that as a selling tool to possible recruits ok. Or is it this is Pendles Sidey Howe fairwell tour (so to speak) and send them out with a flag ?
I’m with a few other here now
If Perryman is going to play HBF more this season then do we need Houston ?
The Barass move would be interesting and from a personal perspective it would make me laugh stealing him from under hawks nose
Is Carlton do land Houston then how gettable will Kennedy be ?
warburton lad
Has liked: 1 time
Been liked: 58 times

Post by warburton lad »

I have great faith that the Pies will have a nett improvement of our list by the end of the trade period and DFA period.

Perryman is better than Noble
Houston is way better than Joe Richards
Hayes (although injury-riddled) would offer more contest (though less flair) than, say, Ash Johnson
Tomlinson is better than what Eyre has shown...
Konstanty would be an interesting get with Harrison out for 2025 and Elliott closes to retirement..

I would bank on Houston being a Magpie by first thing Monday- Port have to move him out to accomodate the salary of Lukosius and the synergy with the Richards deal makes us a likely suitor...

Floreat Pica.
Firm in the belief that number 17 flag is only months away...
lazzadesilva
Has liked: 2 times
Been liked: 87 times

Post by lazzadesilva »

I’m frustrated because I’m in the “who knows what’s gonna happen” phase and maybe this is a safe space to be in if this trade doesn’t eventuate, a self protected zone for my emotions. The build up has been optimistic but the Wright to the Scum matter has now made me apathetic. I still hope like hell we get him but just not as confident as I was a week ago. I have become a negative nellie who is in the hopeful position rather than the fairly confident one. Leaving it up to the powers that be to bring home the bacon.
I term the current Collingwood attack based strategy “Unceasing Waves” like on a stormy and windy day with rough seas. A Perfect Storm ☔️
neil
Has liked: 6 times
Been liked: 27 times

Post by neil »

stui magpie wrote: Fri Oct 11, 2024 5:05 pm I'm getting over this bullshit. Time to change tack and drop the play for Houston.

Offer our F1 and Noble to Suns for pick 13 and take it to the draft.
Agree with the first sentence disagree with the second
Basically we would be giving Noble away for free, F1 will be somewhere between 10 and 18 (hopefully 18) so about 14 so Nobles value is a one step drop in a pick for the Suns
An additional second pick either this year or a future 2nd is fairer

F1 + Noble for 13 + 2nd pick( maybe future)
Carlscum 120 years being cheating scum
SLORT
Has liked: 247 times
Been liked: 145 times

Post by SLORT »

For people complaining about Port playing hardball, we don't even have the Noble deal done yet to give us the capital necessary for any trades. Cart < horse. Get that deal done first then worry about Houston.
neil
Has liked: 6 times
Been liked: 27 times

Post by neil »

qldmagpie67 wrote: Sat Oct 12, 2024 7:07 am Is it just me or does there seem to be a disconnect between what the coach said about always going for ready made players and Leppa saying not selling our future away ?
Happy that Leppa is not selling our future away
Some posters have expressed doubts about Leppas abilities as a recruiter this shows promise

Think the coach agrees but he did not go on a full 20 minute explanation of now v future preferences in the interview why give that information away
Carlscum 120 years being cheating scum
Pies2016
Has liked: 12 times
Been liked: 163 times

Post by Pies2016 »

neil wrote: Sat Oct 12, 2024 8:49 am
stui magpie wrote: Fri Oct 11, 2024 5:05 pm I'm getting over this bullshit. Time to change tack and drop the play for Houston.

Offer our F1 and Noble to Suns for pick 13 and take it to the draft.
Agree with the first sentence disagree with the second
Basically we would be giving Noble away for free, F1 will be somewhere between 10 and 18 (hopefully 18) so about 14 so Nobles value is a one step drop in a pick for the Suns
An additional second pick either this year or a future 2nd is fairer

F1 + Noble for 13 + 2nd pick( maybe future)
The press would have you believe the Noble discussions with the Suns have solely centred around Noble + F1 > #13 + #23 OR # 29.
Obviously, we want #23 and Suns would prefer to give up #29. ( Richmond wanting #6 and # 23 for Rioli haven’t helped either but that a different conversation ) So, putting the difference between #23 and # 29 aside for a minute, this overall trade makes perfect sense for both clubs and is what I would expect will get done at some stage very early next week ( The Suns are also desperate for a decent future picks to accomodate another very early NGA pick in next years draft )

For mine, “ once “ this trade happens, I’ll be happy with where we’re at no matter what transpires for the remainder of the trade period. We either continue with the Houston trade, given we would now have the key piece ( #13 ) OR we take #13 to the draft in a quality draft OR we invest it elsewhere on another mature age player who makes our list better. Collingwood have also said they want to take #23 ( or #29 ) to the draft, so I’m guessing the focus for Collingwood once we secure #13 is to preferably move that pick on for a player and then hit the draft with #23. That strategy would also facilitate the perfect balance of satisfying the now vs future.

From a selfish point of view, I certainly want us to take #23 to the draft because it’s the last pick on night one of the N D and there’s nothing worse than watching the draft on night one and your club not having a seat at the table ( that assumes we’ve moved #13 on, of course )
All good things come to those who wait.
Gary Player “ the harder I practice, the luckier I get “
jonmac1954
Has liked: 7 times
Been liked: 31 times

Post by jonmac1954 »

I hope the club don't completely ignore the coming age purge but I understand the desire to take one last shot before a mini rebuild.
Mr Miyagi
Has liked: 93 times
Been liked: 179 times

Post by Mr Miyagi »

I’ll be back at 7:29pm Wednesday when the trades are done. ;)
Pies2016
Has liked: 12 times
Been liked: 163 times

Post by Pies2016 »

qldmagpie67 wrote: Sat Oct 12, 2024 7:07 am
Is Carlton do land Houston then how gettable will Kennedy be ?
Carlton have manoeuvred themselves into an “ interesting “ position by trading out their F1 and F2 for # 14. I’m not entirely convinced trading in #14 ( and not including # 12 ) for a pitch at Houston is their only end game because AS IT CURRENTLY STANDS, that would leave them with virtually no points for the Camporeale twins. Given they said #12 was off the table because they want to take it to the draft ( and that’s the key here ) then # 14 either helps them with a Houston trade or points for the twins but not both. Add to that, under AFL rules, they also now have to trade back in an F2 before the night of the ND.

Point being, Carlton have a few options at their disposal but if they are all in on Houston, then they will pay a huge cost by way of still having to trade out heavily for points for the twins. Cue a potential Kennedy trade, amongst others.
Or, maybe they simply aren’t pursuing Houston as strongly as most think and are following a different strategy.
Conversely, if they are hell bent on securing Houston, they would likely need to offer both 12 and 14 and then use whatever they get back from Port as points for the twins.
Carlton will be a fascinating watch. They don’t have a great history of finishing on the right side of those high profile trades.
Gary Player “ the harder I practice, the luckier I get “