George Floyd Police killing and protests

Nick's current affairs & general discussion about anything that's not sport.
Voice your opinion on stories of interest to all at Nick's.

Moderator: bbmods

watt price tully

Post by watt price tully »

stui magpie wrote:
watt price tully wrote:
stui magpie wrote:A court will decide whether or not the cop committed homicide or some other degree of killing people.

The only undisputed relevant facts are, a man is dead and a policeman shot him.
...... in the back.
Why did you feel the need to add that?
Because that was where he was shot. He wasn't facing the police when I saw the footage.

The other undisputed facts are that he the victim of the shooting was black and the Policeman who shot him was white.
“I even went as far as becoming a Southern Baptist until I realised they didn’t keep ‘em under long enough” Kinky Friedman
Pies4shaw
Has liked: 55 times
Been liked: 87 times

Post by Pies4shaw »

There you go, bringing race into it. :lol:

It's interesting which "facts" people think are "essential" isn't it?
stui magpie
Has liked: 72 times
Been liked: 74 times

Post by stui magpie »

Truly fascinating what people think is relevant.
Every dead body on Mt Everest was once a highly motivated person, so maybe just calm the **** down.
Wokko

Post by Wokko »

Now police around the world have to deal with harassment while they try and do their jobs too. I don't blame them for walking out or suffering from blue flu.

https://twitter.com/i/status/1274396183478317057
think positive
Has liked: 216 times
Been liked: 86 times

Post by think positive »

Wokko wrote:Now police around the world have to deal with harassment while they try and do their jobs too. I don't blame them for walking out or suffering from blue flu.

https://twitter.com/i/status/1274396183478317057
Nor do I

The comments:

So one refugee doesn’t represent all refugees! But one cop represents all cops!

One protest finishes two hours before stabbings and there is no link but slavery that ended 200 years before I was born is linked to me!

The logic of the left is astounding!

Fair point!
You cant fix stupid, turns out you cant quarantine it either!
Wokko

Post by Wokko »

Seattle Mayor just said that police will return to the CHAZ/CHOP and take it back from Antifa and BLM. The zone that was barricaded off and turned into some kind of woke commune has seen rapes, murders, extortion, robbery and a warlord in the space of a couple of weeks. I don't think Communism has ever failed so fast.

The people there are armed so if they're itching for a fight it could be another Waco type siege.
Wokko

Post by Wokko »

Protesters in DC trying to set up a similar zone (Black House Autonomous Zone) near the White House.

https://twitter.com/Breaking911/status/ ... 7749961730

This isn't Seattle or Portland, these guys are going to have a bad time.
Pies4shaw

Post by Pies4shaw »

Wokko wrote:Seattle Mayor just said that police will return to the CHAZ/CHOP and take it back from Antifa and BLM. The zone that was barricaded off and turned into some kind of woke commune has seen rapes, murders, extortion, robbery and a warlord in the space of a couple of weeks. I don't think Communism has ever failed so fast.

The people there are armed so if they're itching for a fight it could be another Waco type siege.
^ Please link your sources, so people can have a look at the reports for themselves. Not twitter from a bloke in Orange County, some actual reportage from someone who might be in a position to say something useful.

Here's part of the Seattle Times' report, which is quite lengthy:
Seattle Mayor Jenny Durkan said Monday that the Seattle Police Department will be returning to its abandoned East Precinct building “peacefully and in the near future,” following a weekend in which three people were shot in the protest area that has emerged around the building.

Durkan said the city would attempt to phase down nighttime activity in the Capitol Hill Organized Protest area, known as CHOP or CHAZ, but would not be using police to clear the area. Rather, Durkan said, they’d be asking people to leave the area voluntarily at night, offering resources for those going through homelessness and working with community groups to try to cajole people to leave the area, where dozens of tents have sprouted up in recent weeks, along with couches, guerrilla gardens and graffiti.

“It’s time for people to go home, it is time for us to restore Cal Anderson and Capitol Hill so it can be a vibrant part of the community,” Durkan said. “The impacts on the businesses and residents and the community are now too much.”

Shifting the protests away from evening hours mirrors changes sought by some protesters themselves.

Some organizers affiliated with the protest zone distributed an unsigned letter Sunday calling for “suggested” CHOP hours of 8 a.m. to 8 p.m. to encourage the area “to stop being a chaotic, immobile zone” in the overnight hours

Durkan and Police Chief Carmen Best, at a news conference, offered no specific timeline for returning to the East Precinct, but that it would be done in a “phased” way.
https://www.seattletimes.com/seattle-ne ... rkan-says/
think positive

Post by think positive »

gees, wow, just wow!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4HBGQAHnGNo

your right Wokko this could get very bad indeed.
Last edited by think positive on Tue Jun 23, 2020 11:04 am, edited 1 time in total.
Wokko

Post by Wokko »

https://www.foxnews.com/us/seattle-will ... mayor-says

You really think that a group of armed insurgents occupying 6 city blocks are going to leave because the Mayor asks them to? :lol:
stui magpie
Has liked: 72 times
Been liked: 74 times

Post by stui magpie »

think positive wrote:gees, wow, just wow!

I could only watch half of that, I had to get a rag to wipe the sarcasm dripping out of my monitor onto the desk. :lol: :lol:
Every dead body on Mt Everest was once a highly motivated person, so maybe just calm the **** down.
Pies4shaw

Post by Pies4shaw »

Wokko wrote:Protesters in DC trying to set up a similar zone (Black House Autonomous Zone) near the White House.

Again with twitter....

The video shows a bloke with a poorly painted sign and a bunch of graffiti on some temporary plastic barriers. There must also be someone filming him. Does that support the use of the plural "Protesters". Surely you could link something more viable, if this is anything other than a guy with a hangover who has borrowed Quixote's lance?

For goodness' sake, he hasn't even brought the Antifa Kombi for this video.
think positive

Post by think positive »

stui magpie wrote:
think positive wrote:gees, wow, just wow!

I could only watch half of that, I had to get a rag to wipe the sarcasm dripping out of my monitor onto the desk. :lol: :lol:
hehe, yeah i know!!

did you see the other video with the trump supporter walking through the middle of it? the 52 year old African American lady spoke so well at the end. Thats what we need.
Wokko

Post by Wokko »

Pies4shaw wrote:
Wokko wrote:Protesters in DC trying to set up a similar zone (Black House Autonomous Zone) near the White House.

Again with twitter....

The video shows a bloke with a poorly painted sign and a bunch of graffiti on some temporary plastic barriers. There must also be someone filming him. Does that support the use of the plural "Protesters". Surely you could link something more viable, if this is anything other than a guy with a hangover who has borrowed Quixote's lance?

For goodness' sake, he hasn't even brought the Antifa Kombi for this video.
Just because you don't know or can't be bothered learning how to internet doesn't mean I'm going to spoon feed you. Police in DC are clashing with rioters, they're trying to tear down a statue in Lafayette Park and reporters have been ordered to leave the White House by secret service.

You see what you want to see, I'm not your personal news service.

Also what do you mean "Twitter again" it's a news service with 735k followers giving live updates and live streams, you know real journalism.
Pies4shaw

Post by Pies4shaw »

Wokko wrote:https://www.foxnews.com/us/seattle-will-move-to-dismantle-chop-zone-after-shootings-mayor-says

You really think that a group of armed insurgents occupying 6 city blocks are going to leave because the Mayor asks them to? :lol:
I'm not sure if you're asking me but I think you might be?

I have no opinion about how the Mayor or the protesters are going to progress the position from here. Plainly, there has to be an end to this and people have to go home to their normal lives. I don't see anything in that report that is fundamentally different from the report in the Seattle Times that I linked. perhaps she's going to send the national Guard in, or nuke them - there's not much evidence of either being likely. Rather, the Mayor seems to be using carefully chosen, conciliatory language. She wants an end of it but seems to be positioning it for a peaceful resolution. Am I misunderstanding her speech? - I don't know. I haven't seen enough of her political rhetoric to be able to assess that but it's well short of the sort of bile Slumpy was bringing up a little while back, isn't it? - and even His Terminally Deceitfulness hasn't had sufficiently-poor political judgement to send in the troops, yet. A lot of noise signalling "tough" - but his track record on the issue, so far, is attacking some priests so he could get a photo op at their church.

Perhaps we could wait and see whether any serious attempt at suppression starts?