Russian invasion of Ukraine

Nick's current affairs & general discussion about anything that's not sport.
Voice your opinion on stories of interest to all at Nick's.

Moderator: bbmods

pietillidie
Has liked: 14 times
Been liked: 28 times

Post by pietillidie »

Hard to work out if progress is being made in talks, if they're even genuine. The status quo seems to be more refugees, wreckage and gradual advancement. Ukraine is apparently still beefing up its air and missile capabilities, but you do wish that process would hurry along. Anyone got a better sense of where things are at?

The consensus seems to be a long game and an eventual deal with the devil, but that doesn't make it feel any better.
In the end the rain comes down, washes clean the streets of a blue sky town.
Help Nick's: http://www.magpies.net/nick/bb/fundraising.htm
stui magpie
Has liked: 72 times
Been liked: 74 times

Post by stui magpie »

^

In the meantime, Putin is trashing the joint.

Yeah, buildings aren't as important as lives, but it's going to take ages and a shitpile of $ to repair all the damage, even if it ended now.
Every dead body on Mt Everest was once a highly motivated person, so maybe just calm the **** down.
David
Has liked: 1 time
Been liked: 37 times

Post by David »

For what it's worth, here's a short bit of analysis that points out something a lot of people have overlooked: for all the song and dance about NATO, it's the EU that Russia (and specifically Putin) sees as the biggest regional threat.

https://tldrussia.substack.com/p/heres-looking-at-eu
"Every time we witness an injustice and do not act, we train our character to be passive in its presence." – Julian Assange
Dave The Man
Been liked: 5 times

Post by Dave The Man »

The Russian War with Ukraine might be helping Trump to get back in as President as he is Close Mates with Putin
I am Da Man
David

Post by David »

You don't reckon that perception would damage him domestically? Putin's not exactly on most Americans' Christmas card list right now I would have thought. Man cannot get elected by QAnon, paleocon and Russian Orthodox votes alone.
"Every time we witness an injustice and do not act, we train our character to be passive in its presence." – Julian Assange
Dave The Man
Been liked: 5 times

Post by Dave The Man »

David wrote:You don't reckon that perception would damage him domestically? Putin's not exactly on most Americans' Christmas card list right now I would have thought. Man cannot get elected by QAnon, paleocon and Russian Orthodox votes alone.
Well his Followers are Mostly Idiots and Putin/Russia wig the US Election
I am Da Man
Jezza
Has liked: 129 times
Been liked: 191 times

Post by Jezza »

Dave The Man wrote:The Russian War with Ukraine might be helping Trump to get back in as President as he is Close Mates with Putin
"Close mates"?

Where's your evidence?
🏆 | 1902 | 1903 | 1910 | 1917 | 1919 | 1927 | 1928 | 1929 | 1930 | 1935 | 1936 | 1953 | 1958 | 1990 | 2010 | 2023 | 🏆
Pies4shaw
Has liked: 55 times
Been liked: 87 times

Post by Pies4shaw »

David wrote:You don't reckon that perception would damage him domestically? Putin's not exactly on most Americans' Christmas card list right now I would have thought. Man cannot get elected by QAnon, paleocon and Russian Orthodox votes alone.
Especially when association with Putin is going to alienate the genuine fascist vote - all that unpleasant reference to "denazification" of the Ukraine is going to hurt the traditional right-wing vote in the States.
stui magpie

Post by stui magpie »

Despite Trump maintaining a lot of influence, the Republicans cannot seriously allow him to run again. They have to find a way, by negotiation if necessary, to prevent him from running for nomination.

If he does run for the Republican nomination, it's probable he would win it and that would be a disaster for them.

Biden's performance on the Ukraine crisis has generally been good, Trumps remarks complimenting Putin poor. If Trump runs, the Democrats could run a sock puppet and still blitz it.
Every dead body on Mt Everest was once a highly motivated person, so maybe just calm the **** down.
doriswilgus
Has liked: 4 times
Been liked: 21 times

Post by doriswilgus »

Has anyone ever seen Trump criticise Putin in any shape or form over the last five years?Even when Putin invaded Ukraine Tump said it was a ‘genius move’ and praised him for being so smart.I think that says it all about the nature of their relationship.It’s not healthy for someone who wants to be the so called leader of the free world to have a sycophantic relationship with a dictator like that.
stui magpie

Post by stui magpie »

^

https://edition.cnn.com/2022/02/24/poli ... index.html
So, why is Trump praising Putin? For Trump, everything -- and I mean everything -- is transactional. There is no right or wrong. There's only, can you do this thing or not, and what does it get you versus what does it cost you. In Trump's worldview, might makes right. If you can take something, you should. Being perceived as strong -- in your own country and in the world -- is all that matters.
We saw that sentiment play out many times during Trump's presidency.
I read that a few weeks ago, seems a fair assessment.
pietillidie

Post by pietillidie »

^Which basically means malignant narcissism or psychopathy, where the cost to others doesn't factor into the equation. Because he's so easily slighted, we know it's the former.
roar
Been liked: 3 times

Post by roar »

Pies4shaw wrote:
Especially when association with Putin is going to alienate the genuine fascist vote - all that unpleasant reference to "denazification" of the Ukraine is going to hurt the traditional right-wing vote in the States.
You give them far too much credit, p4s. That sort of logic is beyond most of them.
kill for collingwood!
David

Post by David »

pietillidie

Post by pietillidie »

Great to see Zelensky still powering on. Hope in the rebuild is definitely the way to keep people pushing through.

It's incredible how the news varies from one minute to the next, though. As Stui said somewhere above, one minute someone writes Putin is a genius, the next he's in decline, the next whatever else. One minute the West has done well, the next it's the West's fault. People are plainly clueless and making up absolutely any old nonsense. I am yet to read anything trustworthy, no matter the supposed qualifications.

I don't even second guess Korea anymore because the generation shift since I left has been so great. Hence no comment on the recent election. But apparently people who have spent two minutes in Russia, or who took a subject once on the Soviet Union, are experts. Never has there been such a void of knowledge on a subject, and such uninformative news.