Trade Targets ~ Free Agency & MSD player discussion

This is a Collingwood Bulletin Board - use this forum for general, Pies-related topics. For other footy topics, use Nick's Other AFL forum, and for non-footy sporting topics please use Nick's Sports Bar. For non-sporting topics please use the Victoria Park Tavern.

Moderator: bbmods

piffdog
Has liked: 11 times
Been liked: 73 times

Re: Trade Targets ~ Free Agency & MSD player discussion

Post by piffdog »

Pies2016 wrote: Mon Oct 14, 2024 6:16 pm I’m also reading Richards isn’t part of this deal but has been replaced with our pick # 36.
I guess we will all know more tomorrow
Oh ok - that would make me feel a bit better.

Could we then do a swap of Lord for Richards? Maybe Lord isn’t even available and that was all a load of crap from a week ago. If we somehow keep Richards, that would mean we are giving up:

F1, Noble, #36 in exchange for Houston
It's never as good/nor bad as it seems...
Magpie Russ
Has liked: 65 times
Been liked: 41 times

Post by Magpie Russ »

58 will become about 40 or so after bids on F/S and
Academy players. Brisbane x 2, Essendon, GC, Carlton x 2, GWS, St Kilda, Swans.
Presti35
Has liked: 384 times
Been liked: 172 times

Post by Presti35 »

So far, I've seen about 50 versions of this trade.
A Goal Saved Is 2 Goals Earned!
Pies2016
Has liked: 12 times
Been liked: 161 times

Post by Pies2016 »

piffdog wrote: Mon Oct 14, 2024 6:23 pm
Pies2016 wrote: Mon Oct 14, 2024 6:16 pm I’m also reading Richards isn’t part of this deal but has been replaced with our pick # 36.
I guess we will all know more tomorrow
Oh ok - that would make me feel a bit better.

Could we then do a swap of Lord for Richards? Maybe Lord isn’t even available and that was all a load of crap from a week ago. If we somehow keep Richards, that would mean we are giving up:

F1, Noble, #36 in exchange for Houston
The problem is every journo wants to be first with the latest, so everyone, including us, are jumping the gun. Looks like it’s going to get done and that’s the main thing and we will all know more tomorrow.
Whatever happens, we now have ZERO draft capital unless we trade out a player or two. That maybe Richards or possibly a late pick for another fringe player but it’s very unlikely we would be participating in the first two rounds of the draft. We also have a delisted free agency window opening up shortly, so that’s more likely where any additional players would come from.

EDIT - Mitch Cleary declaring the trade includes Richards but no mention of our # 36.
Might as well just wait till it’s official and then we can all have our thoughts.
Gary Player “ the harder I practice, the luckier I get “
K
Has liked: 3 times
Been liked: 29 times

Post by K »

Here's what Cal Twomey wrote on afl.com.au an hour ago:

"THE THREE-club trade that would make Dan Houston a Collingwood player was delicately poised on Monday, with the deal hinging on Port Adelaide.

A three-club move that would see the Pies land Houston, Port get Jack Lukosius, Joe Richards and Rory Atkins and the Suns score John Noble and two 2025 first-round picks was navigated on Monday afternoon by the clubs.

It has been very close to agreement, however has hung on Port's call as the Power chase another late-round pick and decide on the overall deal.

The proposed deal would see Port get Lukosius, Richards, Atkins and picks 13, 29 and 36 while giving away Houston, their 2025 first-round selection and picks 39 and 58.

As well as Houston, the Pies would grab pick 58 and be trading away Noble, their 2025 first-round pick and pick 36.

The Suns would secure Noble and first-round picks tied to Port and Collingwood for Lukosius, Atkins and picks 13, 29 and 39.

The deal was getting closer on Monday after talks sped up, with the Magpies deciding on trading more capital for pick 13, which was in essence turned into Houston. They had previously been reluctant to give more than pick 13 and Richards.

Other clubs chasing pick 13 became aware the Suns were set to deal with Collingwood on the selection."
Culprit
Has liked: 39 times
Been liked: 60 times

Post by Culprit »

Tim Membrey
K

Re: Trade Targets ~ Free Agency & MSD player movements

Post by K »

K wrote: Tue Sep 24, 2024 7:28 pm...
Dean, Kreuger and McInnes reported as untradeable, i.e. they've not been delisted but were told by the Pies that they're on hold till the end of trade period. As media say, no club will trade for them, 'cos they know they might get them free as delisted players.
Lachie Sullivan

The midfielder has been told to wait until the end of the trade period, but there's a growing confidence he'll get a new deal at Collingwood. The Pies have had a look around for inside midfielders in recent weeks; they were interested in Alex Davies before he re-signed at Gold Coast and also had a look at Ben Hobbs, who appears likely to stay at Essendon. It means Sullivan, like teammates Ned Long and Jack Bytel, are waiting to hear what the future holds.

(J. Gabelich, afl.com.au, last week)

In same article:

Adam Tomlinson

Melbourne has not delisted the defender yet but is not expected to offer him a new deal. Collingwood has shown interest, as reported on AFL.com.au last week, as they look to cover the loss of Nathan Murphy down back. The Pies had wanted to lure Mark Keane back from Adelaide, but he re-signed at the Crows. St Kilda also looked at Tomlinson but moved on after re-signing Dougal Howard. Gold Coast has also had a level of interest, but Tomlinson is in limbo at the moment.
Jezza
Has liked: 223 times
Been liked: 306 times

Post by Jezza »

^ Not getting the hype around Tomlinson.

Seen him up close a few times, and looked pretty ordinary.
🏆 | 1902 | 1903 | 1910 | 1917 | 1919 | 1927 | 1928 | 1929 | 1930 | 1935 | 1936 | 1953 | 1958 | 1990 | 2010 | 2023 | 🏆
K

Post by K »

^ Tomlinson was good in Melb's flag year until disaster (ACL injury) struck...

----------------------------------

"DELISTED Gold Coast forward Sam Day is being considered by Brisbane as a potential replacement for retired premiership hero Joe Daniher.

... the 32-year-old Day, who has kicked 117 goals in his 155-game career, would be a ready-made replacement for Daniher.

Another potential replacement is 28-year-old St Kilda tall Jack Hayes, but Collingwood looks to be first in line for his services given he has already completed a medical at the club."

(afl.com.au)

Day... Interesting. 32 is pretty old but...
Podpicken

Post by Podpicken »

Tomlinson is not ordinary. Unlucky to be in a Melbourne team stacked with two of the best key defenders in the comp. Tomlinson didn't do much wrong when he got a run. I'd definitely take him, especially for free. More mobile than Charlie Dean who probably needs to really make his mark this year otherwise no point.
Billy Picken, the great No. 25 in the sky!
scoobydoo
Been liked: 7 times

Post by scoobydoo »

Jack Hayes ( if he’s for free) yes pls
Tomlinson is a 4th tall defender at best. But you need depth (senior not kids).
If they’re both free(DFA) than yes
scoobydoo
Been liked: 7 times

Post by scoobydoo »

I’m sure no one thought
Mitchell
Hill
Markov
We’re going to be integral players in their first year & help Collingwood win a flag.
Presti35
Has liked: 384 times
Been liked: 172 times

Post by Presti35 »

Many different perspectives of the Houston trade. I thought Port got a bloody great return, yet their fans and some in the media think Port got stooged.

Many Pies supporters think we got the raw end of the deal, and some are saying we killed it.

I'll be interested to see what our official picks are. I'm wondering if we have another move coming before the deadline? Without landing Lord, you'd say we take Hayes as a DFA. With missing on Barrass and a few other KPD's, you'd say we'll also go for Tomlinson as a DFA.

Is there any chance of moving up the board by packaging picks together? I really wanted a shot at Whitlock. Is there any chance of a surprise player trade? Or are we content to go to the draft now?
A Goal Saved Is 2 Goals Earned!
Newelly
Has liked: 79 times
Been liked: 13 times

Post by Newelly »

scoobydoo wrote: Mon Oct 14, 2024 8:25 pm I’m sure no one thought
Mitchell
Hill
Markov
We’re going to be integral players in their first year & help Collingwood win a flag.
Also add McStay.
Chuffed to have seen 3 flag wins in my lifetime but still greedy for more.
SLORT
Has liked: 245 times
Been liked: 143 times

Post by SLORT »

Presti35 wrote: Mon Oct 14, 2024 8:45 pm Is there any chance of moving up the board by packaging picks together? I really wanted a shot at Whitlock. Is there any chance of a surprise player trade? Or are we content to go to the draft now?

With only 16 hours of trading left I reckon we've missed that boat as those deals have already been done while we played tiddlywinks with Port and GC. We should still get 13, and I'd love to see us hold it for a crack at Armstrong and failing that ((I'm thinking that Melbourne will probably take Armstrong at 9 anyway) perhaps try to split it for 2 (or even 3) later picks on draft night.

MUST do the following draft (in isolation) ~
GC ~ Noble, F1
PIES ~ 13, 29 (chuck in 55 if we have to)

Then:

Option 1 ~ Take 13 and 29 to the draft, try to get Armstrong, Alix Tauru, or Jack Whitlock. 29 will see us around the mark for Matt Whitlock. For the “now” try to find some gems in the discard pile. This gives us 13, 29, 36, 52, & 55. If possible bundle 52 & 55 for F2 to ensure flexibility in getting Tom McGuane.

Option 2 ~ FREO
Trade 13 & 52 (1458 points) for 18 and 30 (1614 total points)
This would give us 18, 29, 30, 36, 55. Possibly bundle up 30, 36, & 55 to either make a trade or try to find another early 20’s draft pick. This should yield either J.Whitlock or Tauru, Matt Whitlock, and the best from the rest of the midfielders that should still be floating around at this point. I actually don’t think we’ll want more than three picks in this years draft so three picks in the 18-29 range for me would be a win.

As for Joe Richards, If Port refuses to make a trade involving Lord, then I’d let him go for a future 2nd / 3rd to ensure we have flexibility in getting McGuane.

And if we ignore the draft and continue in “The Hunt for Red October” ~
Richards, Noble, F1, 29, 36, and probably 52, leaving us with picks 55 and 58 (according to The Age) in the draft which we should then simply bundle and trade on for a future 2nd...and take draft night off. This to me feels like all our eggs in a Houston basket which will either take us to the moon or see us splat before breaking atmosphere. I mean, God forbid he gets injured early next season...