#32 Will Hoskin-Elliott

This is a Collingwood Bulletin Board - use this forum for general, Pies-related topics. For other footy topics, use Nick's Other AFL forum, and for non-footy sporting topics please use Nick's Sports Bar. For non-sporting topics please use the Victoria Park Tavern.

Moderator: bbmods

swoop42
Been liked: 3 times

Post by swoop42 »

I know it's not his strong suit but Hoskin-Elliott had a couple of moments in the game IMO when he needed to go much harder and be more desperate with his intent inside our forward 50 when opportunity arose to lay a tackle or generate a potential turnover.
He's mad. He's bad. He's MaynHARD!
tbaker

Post by tbaker »

^ Agree re Checkers - thought he was serviceable for the team; was certainly no passenger
I find your lack of faith disturbing
doriswilgus
Has liked: 4 times
Been liked: 21 times

Post by doriswilgus »

Mihocek plays better when we have two talls on the forward line.I don’t think he is tall enough to be the only marking target on the forward line.That’s why we need Reid to come back,we really don’t have any other options unfortunately.
stui magpie
Has liked: 71 times
Been liked: 73 times

Post by stui magpie »

RudeBoy wrote:
Piesnchess wrote:Mihochek had a piss poor game v the Cats, he needs to atone with a 4 goa haul, in PF, he has been in peak form, he will hit back hard !!
I disagree pnc. Sure, he didn't take many marks, but he was constantly crunched and double teamed, as he was our only tall forward. He put his body on the line everywhere he went and was hobbling badly in the 2nd quarter, but refused to let that stop him. I saw him favouring his left support leg when he took his set shot for goal in the 2nd quarter, and reckon that's why he missed the goal. If he'd kicked it, we would have been 42 pts up! If we play another tall forward, Mihocek will kick 3 goals in the prelim.
I agree on checkers impact, he did the sacrificial grunt work.

The only problem with the bolded bit of your statement is that we don't have another tall forward. You can't trust Reid's body in a prelim, Cox is out, we have zero depth in this area.
Every dead body on Mt Everest was once a highly motivated person, so maybe just calm the **** down.
Rogue2k0

Post by Rogue2k0 »

stui magpie wrote:
RudeBoy wrote:
Piesnchess wrote:Mihochek had a piss poor game v the Cats, he needs to atone with a 4 goa haul, in PF, he has been in peak form, he will hit back hard !!
I disagree pnc. Sure, he didn't take many marks, but he was constantly crunched and double teamed, as he was our only tall forward. He put his body on the line everywhere he went and was hobbling badly in the 2nd quarter, but refused to let that stop him. I saw him favouring his left support leg when he took his set shot for goal in the 2nd quarter, and reckon that's why he missed the goal. If he'd kicked it, we would have been 42 pts up! If we play another tall forward, Mihocek will kick 3 goals in the prelim.
I agree on checkers impact, he did the sacrificial grunt work.

The only problem with the bolded bit of your statement is that we don't have another tall forward. You can't trust Reid's body in a prelim, Cox is out, we have zero depth in this area.
And why is it that we constantly fail to recruit Talls every year?

If Reid isn't fit enough to play - he will have played his last game for the club.

He needs to play for us to have a chance of winning the GF.

Roughead, Moore and Howe NEED to play back, as the 2 talls free up Howe or Moore to take intercept marks.
K
Has liked: 3 times
Been liked: 17 times

Post by K »

swoop42 wrote:I know it's not his strong suit but Hoskin-Elliott had a couple of moments in the game IMO when he needed to go much harder and be more desperate with his intent inside our forward 50 when opportunity arose to lay a tackle or generate a potential turnover.
This is often claimed, but I don't ever see it. Can you locate which moments these are in the video? e.g. do you mean at 2:53 in Q1 you expected him to be able to stop Henry's kick?
Rogue2k0

Post by Rogue2k0 »

Hoskin-Elliott apart from 1 game this year has not done much else. Injuries to other players are giving him games. With Greenwood injured, we may see him playing in the back line next game or Aish ?

WHE - 1 tackle for the game, Elliott 2, Stephenson 1 - would like to see more pressure (although Elliott's run down and smother in the centre square in the last quarter was a great thing to see) from the Forwards.

Most of our mids and defensive players 4 or more tackles.
K
Has liked: 3 times
Been liked: 17 times

Post by K »

Those 4+ guys are tackling players (and being tackled themselves) in packs, not running them down.
E

Post by E »

Really, i thought he was good. won a couple of one on one contests and i dont remember him being beaten. Thought he played his role really really well.

Maybe two criticisms.

1. His kicking for goal was off.

2. He failed to get a free kick when he made what would have been the game winning play in the final quarter (the way he got to the front in that contest is worth watching over and over again) and got his arms chopped and head smashed all at the same time......
Raw Hammer
Has liked: 1 time
Been liked: 1 time

Post by Raw Hammer »

Is this a joke post? Micocek was freakin’ immense. I’ve watched the replay twice. I suggest you do the same and get back to us with your “piss poor” assessment.
Est. 2002
gobbles21

Trade Will Hoskin-Elliott

Post by gobbles21 »

He’s soft as butter, and it stands out more so in big games. We’ve got too many forwards of his size, which forces us to play him on a wing where he doesn’t get anywhere near enough of the footy. He can do some great things here and there, but they’re too few and far between for my liking. Plus he’s as soft as butter.

He’d have a bit of currency on the open market, plus would free up some cap space.

Oh, and did I mention he was soft as butter?
PolarPie

Post by PolarPie »

I couldn’t disagree with you more. Hoskin-Elliott is a good forward that continually leads and presents options when others are stagnant down the ground. If you see him on the wing that is him working up because our wingers certainly don’t offer as marking options from Half back. Also don’t blame a fast leading forward if players can’t deliver accurately to him our midfield was smashed.
Also don’t think he is soft either He works hard on defensive pressure and we must be watching different players if you want to throw shade the final was lost in the middle other than Grundy was killed once the ball hit the ground.
think positive
Has liked: 212 times
Been liked: 85 times

Post by think positive »

TBH since he came back from injury, I’ve been really disappointed, I thought he was De Goey Mark 2, can he buy us a genuine KPP?
You cant fix stupid, turns out you cant quarantine it either!
mugway05

Post by mugway05 »

He had an interrupted preseason and I think it showed this year. Give him the full preseason and I think he will bounce back. Worth holding onto.
Around the world in a Collingwood Jumper.

Check out: www.myspace.com/mugway05
npalm
Has liked: 10 times
Been liked: 8 times

Post by npalm »

It would be fantastic if all our players were as hard as you g21.
Side by side.