Parliament House sexual assault and harassment allegations

Nick's current affairs & general discussion about anything that's not sport.
Voice your opinion on stories of interest to all at Nick's.

Moderator: bbmods

watt price tully

Post by watt price tully »

eddiesmith wrote:And he votes for everything Labor wants, of course you love him.

‘Independent’ :lol:
I see, as usual didn't have of anything to back your wild and unfounded claim about Andy Merrick apart from which party he might vote for with a response which was neither related to your claim nor indeed his claim.

We are not surprised. Next time put up or .....(you know the rest)
“I even went as far as becoming a Southern Baptist until I realised they didn’t keep ‘em under long enough” Kinky Friedman
eddiesmith
Has liked: 8 times
Been liked: 16 times

Post by eddiesmith »

watt price tully wrote:The Liberal Boys club just keeps on giving: this time the Victorian State Opposition. Is it the male privilege of a single sex private school education? Who knows. Classy (not)
I guess that explains Bill Shortens behaviour, wonder how long until the allegations come out against Albo?

It's always funny when the ALP supporters attack private schools then vote for former private schoolboys...
stui magpie
Has liked: 72 times
Been liked: 74 times

Post by stui magpie »

watt price tully wrote:The Liberal Boys club just keeps on giving: this time the Victorian State Opposition. Is it the male privilege of a single sex private school education?
Actually the common link across all political parties appears to be a University education. 8)
Every dead body on Mt Everest was once a highly motivated person, so maybe just calm the **** down.
watt price tully

stui magpie wrote:
watt price tully wrote:The Liberal Boys club just keeps on giving: this time the Victorian State Opposition. Is it the male privilege of a single sex private school education?
Actually the common link across all political parties appears to be a University education. 8)
“I even went as far as becoming a Southern Baptist until I realised they didn’t keep ‘em under long enough” Kinky Friedman
stui magpie

Post by stui magpie »

Every dead body on Mt Everest was once a highly motivated person, so maybe just calm the **** down.
David
Has liked: 1 time
Been liked: 37 times

Post by David »

A little worried that consensual sex acts are starting to be lumped in with serious cases of harassment and assault. Some of the stuff here does sound pretty dodgy, but if two people want to have sex in a private space then that’s their business as far as I’m concerned.
"Every time we witness an injustice and do not act, we train our character to be passive in its presence." – Julian Assange
stui magpie

Post by stui magpie »

Speaking of serious cases, very good article here about the night Brittany Higgins claims to have been raped.

https://www.abc.net.au/news/2021-03-22/ ... s/13259262

A couple of key take outs

The security guards who saw her in a state of undress were both female.

Higgins was so drunk she would have been incapable of giving informed consent, but she'd also be extremely unlikely to have any coherent memories of what happened.
Pies4shaw
Has liked: 55 times
Been liked: 87 times

Post by Pies4shaw »

Isn't the key take out that there was no "security breach" on the night in question, so that the suggestion that the alleged rapist was fired the next working day for a "security breach" simply doesn't stack up?
stui magpie

Post by stui magpie »

As predicted.

There was no security breach from the security guards point of view, there may well have been from the minister's point of view.

The legislation that covers the employment of political staffers allows them to be sacked for no reason without access to unfair dismissal. Ironically it came about under Hawke.

Keep in mind, the alleged rapist was sacked the next day. It wasn't for the rape as that wasn't known yet. Morrison would have been told about all this much later and only reporting what he was told.

So, No. That's not a key take out, it's irrelevant rubbish.
Pies4shaw

Post by Pies4shaw »

Let it be assumed that there was a "security breach" "from the minister's point of view". Only one of the two people involved in the "security breach" was fired. There isn't even a vaguely plausible reason why that would occur. That isn't "irrelevant rubbish". It's the heart of the matter.

It's going to be interesting to see how this plays out - Brittany Higgins plainly has kept voice recordings, voicemails and texts. There'll be quite a few folk in Parliament House feeling a little wobbly about what they saw on telly tonight.
watt price tully

stui magpie

Post by stui magpie »

Pies4shaw wrote:Let it be assumed that there was a "security breach" "from the minister's point of view". Only one of the two people involved in the "security breach" was fired. There isn't even a vaguely plausible reason why that would occur. That isn't "irrelevant rubbish". It's the heart of the matter.

It's going to be interesting to see how this plays out - Brittany Higgins plainly has kept voice recordings, voicemails and texts. There'll be quite a few folk in Parliament House feeling a little wobbly about what they saw on telly tonight.

Really?

How about Brittany was called into the Ministers office to be sacked but once she disclosed that she had been sexually assaulted the Minister had to quickly change direction?
Pies4shaw

Post by Pies4shaw »

I wasn't trying to create a better work of fiction - just trying to fit the facts to your previous musing. If the circumstances are found to be as you now imagine, there will be a raft of political resignations. The political story is about cover up.
watt price tully

I always thought that the Liberal Party were full of entitled wankers; little did I know just how accurate the description is. Just how toxic is the entitled male culture pervades the liberal parrty?

‘Sex act on female MP’s desk’: Liberal staffer sacked over lewd video

"...In a video seen by The Sydney Morning Herald and The Age, the man performs a sex act on another man in an office. The green carpet visible behind him in the video matches the carpet from the floor of the House of Representatives’ wing of Parliament....

...Ten News also reported that sex workers had been brought into Parliament House to visit MPs...."

https://www.theage.com.au/politics/fede ... 57d0v.html

Wow, the mind boggles.

How is Scotty from marketing going to spin this ?

Ah the Liberal party....they just keepon giving. No wonder thr PM's office is panicking.

No wonder women don't want to be part of the Liberal Party

Quotas are the answer given women represent 50% of the population.

This is more than matching the UK Tories where minsters were caught wearing fishnet stockings, "call girls"..........This is an inherent part of perceived male entitled privilege.
stui magpie

Post by stui magpie »

Firstly, non-liberal voters need to be very careful throwing stones in this glass house. Labor staffers have already been implicated in the same stuff and more will come out.

Regarding the issue with the security breach and the staffer being sacked but not Higgins, I'll type this really slowly.

From the perspective of Security, there was no security breach, Both people were employees who would have normally had right of access to the offices where they were going.

From the Minister's perspective, having drunk staffers having sex in her office way after hours is absolutely a security breach.

Next working day she calls in the bloke and sacks him.
Higgins is then called in and before she can be sacked she discloses that she was allegedly sexually assaulted. Minister rightfully changes tack and looks to support Higgins rather than sacking her.

Minister advises Morrison at some point later that the staffer was sacked for a security breach, which is what Morrison repeats later.

All very obvious, nothing to see here.