What's the last movie you watched?

Nick's current affairs & general discussion about anything that's not sport.
Voice your opinion on stories of interest to all at Nick's.

Moderator: bbmods

think positive
Has liked: 212 times
Been liked: 84 times

Post by think positive »

It’s not Christmas until Hans gruber falls from the Nakatomi tower!

I have that on a tshirt, and another with Bruce in a Santa hat and yippee kaya mother…..,!

Best Christmas movie!
You cant fix stupid, turns out you cant quarantine it either!
Dark Beanie
Has liked: 2 times
Been liked: 16 times

Post by Dark Beanie »

Yep, we watch it every year.

When we have my family christmas gathering (every 2nd year we go away for 4 days togther over christmas), the 'Christmas movie' is on on christmas eve.

One of my brothers in law trys to argue it is not a christmas movie but he is quickly corrected :lol:
If you are foolish enough to be contented, don't show it, but just grumble with the rest. - Jerome K Jerome
Bucks5
Has liked: 2 times
Been liked: 11 times

Post by Bucks5 »

Yeah, I saw this in Woolworths about a month ago. The debate is over

How would Siri know when to answer "Hey Siri" unless it is listening in to everything you say?
stui magpie
Has liked: 71 times
Been liked: 73 times

Post by stui magpie »

https://www.amazon.com.au/Calendar-Naka ... B0BLHJ1CCK

A Hans Gruber falling down Nakatomi Plaza advent calendar :lol:
Every dead body on Mt Everest was once a highly motivated person, so maybe just calm the **** down.
think positive

Post by think positive »

Just ordered it!
stui magpie

Post by stui magpie »

^

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
Every dead body on Mt Everest was once a highly motivated person, so maybe just calm the **** down.
stui magpie

Post by stui magpie »

Last night, since the cricket finished early, Die Hard 2.

Yippee Ki yay motherfvucker.
David
Has liked: 1 time
Been liked: 35 times

Post by David »

After much insistence from Ingmar, I finally watched Home Alone with him for the first time on Friday night. I always had the impression that I would hate it, but I have to say it was a lot better than I thought it would be! The absurdity of the setup is handled pretty well, and it's pretty harmless fun for the most part.

One thing I wanted to check, though: the burglars are meant to be the tragic heroes here, right? ;)
"Every time we witness an injustice and do not act, we train our character to be passive in its presence." – Julian Assange
think positive

Post by think positive »

No!
David

Post by David »

I thought this review of the film on Letterboxd was pretty funny:
Even though John Hughes only produced this popcorn Christmas classic, it bears his unmistakable trademarks: a Chicagoland fantasia where a wealthy child is allowed to do whatever they want and enact violent restorative justice on America's oafish and venal underclass.
Otherwise, I saw the new Woody Allen film today. It is not one of his best. :(
"Every time we witness an injustice and do not act, we train our character to be passive in its presence." – Julian Assange
David

Post by David »

LaurieHolden
Has liked: 138 times
Been liked: 134 times

Post by LaurieHolden »

Caught Poor Things last night. Mistakenly booked thinking it was a different film, so what unfolded was a complete surprise.
But it stars Willem Dafoe, so to me that's worth the entry price alone.

Hard to describe this surreal whimsical romp. Something of a mix of Mary Shelly Victorian era Frankenstein, Bernard Shaw's Pygmalion wrapped in a Tim Burton World. Fans of Killing Eve should enjoy this.

Emma Stone once again collaborates with Director Yorgos Lanthimos, they clearly know what each is bringing when they collaborate on a project. If there was any doubt about her acting ability, this confirmed she has few peers for her age. She delivers an unforgettable character and performance.

Mark Ruffalo is cast to deliver a hilarious performance as the conflicted cad who falls under her spell and left to face his own societal contradictions as she starts to find her independence.

Just be prepared, there's pretty confronting dark humour and adult themes that will unsettle or offend many mainstream movie goers. But those themes were an essential part of this 2024 R rated version of Alice in Wonderland which blends in themes of feminism, identity, dark humour with a mirror on society.
I think history will be kind to this film, but I suspect it'll be too much for the Academy wowsers to consider it on its merits for any of the mainstream awards.

Laurie's rating: 8 goals 2 behinds.
"The Club's not Jock, Ted and Gerry" (& Eddie)
2023 AFL Premiers
David

Post by David »

Curious to see it! It looks pretty full on.
pietillidie
Has liked: 14 times
Been liked: 28 times

Post by pietillidie »

One Life, and what a masterful performance from Anthony Hopkins and indeed the whole cast. Hopkins makes you think you're right there and he's the actual bloke concerned.

I usually go out of my way to avoid the sentimental, but this one was well worth it. Many of the gems of people I've met here have been oldies. Despite all the ugly media, there is still a tradition here of phenomenal humanitarian commitment, which this film really captures.
In the end the rain comes down, washes clean the streets of a blue sky town.
Help Nick's: http://www.magpies.net/nick/bb/fundraising.htm
stui magpie

Post by stui magpie »

The last week I've been on a bit of an 80's-90's bender.

Toy Soldiers, starring a very young Frodo.

Rambo- 1st Blood. Under rated movie that suffers by being lumped in with the latter sequels which seriously jumped the shark.

Armageddon. No, not the one about the Gerbil, the one which Bruce Willis leads a team of Drillers on a mision to drill a hole in an asteroid so they can drop a nuke in it and blow it up before it crashes into earth. Funny, the ending was different to what I remembered or maybe I'm thinking of a different film. There's a film from around the same time, with a similar plot that ends up with a bloke in a space suit laying back on the moon, looking down at Earth as he dies. Anyway, great flick, Steve Buscemi is a hoot.