#2 Jordan De Goey

This is a Collingwood Bulletin Board - use this forum for general, Pies-related topics. For other footy topics, use Nick's Other AFL forum, and for non-footy sporting topics please use Nick's Sports Bar. For non-sporting topics please use the Victoria Park Tavern.

Moderator: bbmods

Magpietothemax
Has liked: 9 times
Been liked: 15 times

Post by Magpietothemax »

Pies2016 wrote:People keep saying the club should have stood up for him but surely nobody thinks the AFL didn’t have a say on how this would play out. The AFL would have wanted a head on a stick. I’d suggest behind the scenes, the club would have worked with with the AFL to achieve some sort of common ground.

Earlier in this thread, I posed the question, if we don’t do something different now, just how many more chances are we prepared to give him to continue to distract the club from focussing on it’s priorities and channeling its resources correctly. We’re talking about someone who hasn’t even committed a crime, yet look at the circus it’s created. You can be as damning of the club as you please but I’m sure that will all be forgotten when we eventually have a media frenzy free season and eventually show our full capabilities and potential in September. Doesn’t look like that will be 2022 but there’s always next year.
If that was the "common ground", we did not argue hard enough. In reality do you think the Pies will ever have a "Media frenzy free " year?
Free Julian Assange!!
Ice in the veins
pietillidie
Has liked: 14 times
Been liked: 28 times

Post by pietillidie »

We really are the carp of Hysteria Waters; the easiest fish in the lake to hook bar none. Any media angler who supports a rival team can fish in our pond and our slow movers and too often our leaders will take the bait without a hint of either wisdom or scepticism.

Carp: 'Mmmm. Tinned corn kernels. Not natural round here and against my better judgement, but I'll have a bite anyway!'

Some young lads with random talents and psychologies who somehow find themselves at your club will not represent your ideal moral or public self, while others will be hung out to dry to forge some slime bag's media career. The trick is show an ounce of maturity and wisdom in the first instance, and whatever you do to never get conned in the second.
In the end the rain comes down, washes clean the streets of a blue sky town.
Help Nick's: http://www.magpies.net/nick/bb/fundraising.htm
think positive
Has liked: 240 times
Been liked: 90 times

Post by think positive »

Piesnchess wrote:Footy Classified was sinking the boot into him too, ol Caro going apeshit, as she does on any thing Collingwood. Lloyd put in his two bobs worth, good on Eddie for taking them both on. Eddie was disgusted at what that old Tory Garden Gnome Neil Mitchell said on his shock jock show, called Jordon a Bali Boofhead, even after learning of his mental illness issues. That old garden gnome is well past his use by date, has loathed the Magpies for decades. So, now hes on personal leave, after being hounded like hes some kind of rapist on the loose, by the media, MSM, and the Murdoch HUN rag. Im not surprised, i just hope the Club now gives him full support and wraps their arms around him, i hope he makes a full recovery, comes back and kicks bags of goals.
“Even after learning of his mental health issues”.

I said the same for Bailey Smith, and May, don’t use this as an excuse, just own it.

Makes a full recovery from what? From testing the waters with his silly weekend, or things not panning out as he expected?

How about how the rest of the team are feeling? The ones who didn’t go out partying and drinking, or at least didn’t allow themselves to be filmed? Just how many times do you expect them to come together in a group hug for the guy who so often finds negative attention?

Wether he knows her or not, wether she didn’t mind (although pushing his hand away tells me different) do you really think that’s ok behaviour in a public setting? This was in a night club not a private party.

What kind of person exposes a women’s breast in public?

Pretend it’s your son, where is the line?
Pretend it’s your daughter, where is the line?

As for the club ‘pushing him to take personal time’ he hasnt trained, you don’t train you don’t play.

You said earlier no one doesn’t think what he got up to was silly or something like that, but you don’t think he should own any ifit, just take another pill

The club have not trashed him, they said his behaviour was unacceptable and it was, they have withdrawn the contract, s doesn’t mean he can’t earn it back, the fine won’t have to be paid unless he mucks up.

Now you want Eddie back! I love Eddie didn’t want him to go, but man that man can put his leg in his mouth let alone his foot! The quiet closed doors dignity way the club is handling this is perfection. Don’t give them a story.

Actually imagine if no one gave them a story in the first place! How damn good would that be?
You cant fix stupid, turns out you cant quarantine it either!
WhyPhilWhy?
Has liked: 27 times
Been liked: 26 times

Post by WhyPhilWhy? »

From what I can see from the media and socials, no one is condemining him on the simple fact he went to Bali on the break. Let's not pretend that's the case.

Most are questioning whether it was a good idea to go to Bali to party so soon after he got himself in trouble in New York by making some poor decisions.

Making the trip would have been a minor event if he then had not allowed himself to be videod doing stuff that would be unremarkable for any other 20-something but would clearly be open to criticism for him. He actually plays up for the video - not a smart move.

Imagine instead if there'd been footage of him crushing it in the gym, or sitting on the beach staring whistfully at the sunset.

The fact that AFL players get paid as much they do is remarkable for such a niche sport hidden away on the far side of the world. It entirely relies upon broadcast rights, and they entirely rely on sponsorships and advertising.

Advertisers and sponsors are simply not going to pay big bucks to have their brand associated with dickehead behaviour, and the measure of what is dickhead behaviour has become more and more acute recently.

There's little that can be done besides asking your dickhead mates to put their damn phones away...
Meredith1965

Post by Meredith1965 »

Seems the club has played this pretty well.

The real sanction, after serial dickheadry, is a fine he probably won’t have to pay, a contract discussion “suspension”, and a bit more counselling.

As long as he pulls his head in for the rest of the season, he won’t bear any cost and the club seems to me to have defused the issue amd the media frenzy pretty cleverly.

Now, he seems to lack maturity and judgement of any kind, so he might not pull his head in, but if he doesn’t after this, then it is on him.
Mr Miyagi
Has liked: 64 times
Been liked: 129 times

Post by Mr Miyagi »

RudeBoy wrote:It's been suggested by some that our club is now preparing to off-load JDG after this season. If the club did decide to move JDG on, it would be a public admission of the failures and incompetence of our club, in its inability to nurture, develop and protect such an incredible talent as Jordy. Getting rid of Heater set us back 5 yrs imo. All football clubs are full of alpha males, rough diamonds and more than a few dickheads. FFS, he's been one of our few genuine big game match-winners for 6 or so years. I hope, but do not expect, that our club is not stupid enough to off-load such a champion.
And it’ll invite an even bigger media pile on, and make it harder to attract talent to the club. I’m more disgusted the club didn’t defend Jack and IQ though, they did absolutely nothing wrong and I’m still hearing people talk about them as sexist perverts who should be sacked. The media has been relentless to Jack this year, damn stand up for him Browne and Anderson!!! Dangerfield and the AFLPA are as useless as tits on a bull.
think positive

Post by think positive »

WhyPhilWhy? wrote:From what I can see from the media and socials, no one is condemining him on the simple fact he went to Bali on the break. Let's not pretend that's the case.

Most are questioning whether it was a good idea to go to Bali to party so soon after he got himself in trouble in New York by making some poor decisions.

Making the trip would have been a minor event if he then had not allowed himself to be videod doing stuff that would be unremarkable for any other 20-something but would clearly be open to criticism for him. He actually plays up for the video - not a smart move.

Imagine instead if there'd been footage of him crushing it in the gym, or sitting on the beach staring whistfully at the sunset.

The fact that AFL players get paid as much they do is remarkable for such a niche sport hidden away on the far side of the world. It entirely relies upon broadcast rights, and they entirely rely on sponsorships and advertising.

Advertisers and sponsors are simply not going to pay big bucks to have their brand associated with dickehead behaviour, and the measure of what is dickhead behaviour has become more and more acute recently.

There's little that can be done besides asking your dickhead mates to put their $$%^%%$ phones away...
its easy isnt it really? just crazy to risk it, crazy or arrogant!

Meredith1965 wrote:Seems the club has played this pretty well.

The real sanction, after serial dickheadry, is a fine he probably won’t have to pay, a contract discussion “suspension”, and a bit more counselling.

As long as he pulls his head in for the rest of the season, he won’t bear any cost and the club seems to me to have defused the issue amd the media frenzy pretty cleverly.

Now, he seems to lack maturity and judgement of any kind, so he might not pull his head in, but if he doesn’t after this, then it is on him.
exactly right
Mr Miyagi

Post by Mr Miyagi »

Why would any opposition player want to come to Collingwood now, knowing your every move is being watched 100x more than other clubs, anything you post on social media can be blown out of context and your name dragged through the mud? Not Jordy’s issues, but Jack & IQ.
Pies2016
Has liked: 5 times
Been liked: 101 times

Post by Pies2016 »

Mr Miyagi wrote:Why would any opposition player want to come to Collingwood now, knowing your every move is being watched anything you post on social media can be blown out of context and your name dragged through the mud? Not Jordy’s issues, but Jack & IQ.
Maybe ask Jason Horne Francis who also recently copped a whack for posting dumb shit on social media. We need to move on from this “ the press have it in for Collingwood “ mentality. They don’t have it in for Collingwood but they do know a Collingwood story will draw more attention than any other club. Players can’t have it both ways. You can’t play for the biggest club in the land in front of 60,000 plus every second week and not expect some additional scrutiny to come with it. The players know it and the club knows it, so the smart thing to do is to not poke your head above the foxhole and risk having it blown off in the first place.
David
Has liked: 1 time
Been liked: 45 times

Post by David »

Last edited by David on Thu Jun 23, 2022 10:37 am, edited 1 time in total.
"Every time we witness an injustice and do not act, we train our character to be passive in its presence." – Julian Assange
Mr Miyagi

Post by Mr Miyagi »

Pies2016 wrote:
Mr Miyagi wrote:Why would any opposition player want to come to Collingwood now, knowing your every move is being watched anything you post on social media can be blown out of context and your name dragged through the mud? Not Jordy’s issues, but Jack & IQ.
Maybe ask Jason Horne Francis who also recently copped a whack for posting dumb shit on social media. We need to move on from this “ the press have it in for Collingwood “ mentality. They don’t have it in for Collingwood but they do know a Collingwood story will draw more attention than any other club. Players can’t have it both ways. You can’t play for the biggest club in the land in front of 60,000 plus every second week and not expect some additional scrutiny to come with it. The players know it and the club knows it, so the smart thing to do is to not poke your head above the foxhole and risk having it blown off in the first place.
Yeah Horne-Francis got such a whack by the media, I hadn’t even heard about it. My opinion stands, we get 10x the scrutiny and hysteria.
think positive

Post by think positive »

Pies2016 wrote:
. Yup or do a Gablett and move out of the spotlight
Big T
Has liked: 6 times
Been liked: 66 times

Post by Big T »

think positive wrote:
Magpietothemax wrote:
Pies2016 wrote:Approx 720 AFL players took time away from their club during the bye rounds …….. just saying
I would definitely claim that JDG would have been among the media's priority targets though.
Anyway, no one denies that he made some very stupid decisions in this instance. Everything would have been OK had he done exactly the same things at the night club, but not permitted it to be filmed, and uploaded.
Stupid, because he would have known that the media vultures were tailgating him, and should not have thrown any rotten carrion for them to swallow.

There are a few posters on here condemning him for his behaviour. As much as you personally might not approve of his behaviour, it is neither unusual nor offensive in the context and among those of his generation. Yet he is being publicly humiliated because of this behaviour.

In reality of course, as others have mentioned, the AFL and the media use the issue of "respect to women" as a smokescreen for their profit interests.

Simply blaming JDG for this is just going along with the flow, and agreeing that young athletes,with prodigious talents, should be allowed to be banished from the game if somehow their behaviour is not in line with the brand image of the AFL.
It’s not just this trip though, it’s the sum of his behaviour since 2017 and the frisbee lies.

His behaviour was skanky, I don’t care if everyone acts like that, if they do they are all skanky!

Simply blaming JDG, who do you want to blame then? He knew he was being filmed, he didn’t try to stop it. He knows he’s a news story, hell NYC should have taught him that, the club probably set out expected standards, yet he still played it up for the camera. He not a victim here. The club has fired warning shots that’s all, there is no real punishment, they have just had enough. All he had to say was ‘I got drunk on my break, I was disrespectful, I’m sorry. “
So now players will be run out of the game for being "skanky". Man alive...
Buon Giorno
watt price tully

Post by watt price tully »

think positive wrote:
Piesnchess wrote:Footy Classified was sinking the boot into him too, ol Caro going apeshit, as she does on any thing Collingwood. Lloyd put in his two bobs worth, good on Eddie for taking them both on. Eddie was disgusted at what that old Tory Garden Gnome Neil Mitchell said on his shock jock show, called Jordon a Bali Boofhead, even after learning of his mental illness issues. That old garden gnome is well past his use by date, has loathed the Magpies for decades. So, now hes on personal leave, after being hounded like hes some kind of rapist on the loose, by the media, MSM, and the Murdoch HUN rag. Im not surprised, i just hope the Club now gives him full support and wraps their arms around him, i hope he makes a full recovery, comes back and kicks bags of goals.
“Even after learning of his mental health issues”.

I said the same for Bailey Smith, and May, don’t use this as an excuse, just own it.

Makes a full recovery from what? From testing the waters with his silly weekend, or things not panning out as he expected?

How about how the rest of the team are feeling? The ones who didn’t go out partying and drinking, or at least didn’t allow themselves to be filmed? Just how many times do you expect them to come together in a group hug for the guy who so often finds negative attention?

Wether he knows her or not, wether she didn’t mind (although pushing his hand away tells me different) do you really think that’s ok behaviour in a public setting? This was in a night club not a private party.

What kind of person exposes a women’s breast in public?

Pretend it’s your son, where is the line?
Pretend it’s your daughter, where is the line?

As for the club ‘pushing him to take personal time’ he hasnt trained, you don’t train you don’t play.

You said earlier no one doesn’t think what he got up to was silly or something like that, but you don’t think he should own any ifit, just take another pill

The club have not trashed him, they said his behaviour was unacceptable and it was, they have withdrawn the contract, s doesn’t mean he can’t earn it back, the fine won’t have to be paid unless he mucks up.

Now you want Eddie back! I love Eddie didn’t want him to go, but man that man can put his leg in his mouth let alone his foot! The quiet closed doors dignity way the club is handling this is perfection. Don’t give them a story.

Actually imagine if no one gave them a story in the first place! How $$%^%%$ good would that be?
Nail hit head: exactly right TP. Well said
“I even went as far as becoming a Southern Baptist until I realised they didn’t keep ‘em under long enough” Kinky Friedman
watt price tully

Post by watt price tully »

“I even went as far as becoming a Southern Baptist until I realised they didn’t keep ‘em under long enough” Kinky Friedman