#2 Jordan De Goey

This is a Collingwood Bulletin Board - use this forum for general, Pies-related topics. For other footy topics, use Nick's Other AFL forum, and for non-footy sporting topics please use Nick's Sports Bar. For non-sporting topics please use the Victoria Park Tavern.

Moderator: bbmods

eddiesmith
Has liked: 11 times
Been liked: 21 times

Post by eddiesmith »

piffdog wrote:
eddiesmith wrote:So Champion Data has him as Elite, yet still some posters think we’d be better off without him…
Didn’t see him in the latest list (https://www.zerohanger.com/champion-dat ... 22191/amp/ ). Champion Data’s “elite” category is a bit of a head scratcher (Jordan Dawson, Harry Perryman) - BUT…

If you are confident we won’t have Jordy splashed in the back page of the Hun for 5 days, twice a year in a negative light then I would absolutely like to keep him.
Was on the list I saw today, but there are some posters who don’t actually think he’s a good player, they don’t care about the off field crap, reckon we don’t need him.
Cam
Has liked: 16 times
Been liked: 22 times

Post by Cam »

RudeBoy wrote:Jordy is a gun player and a big game match winner. If we want to win a flag we need a couple more just like him. The off-field stuff is for the media to worry about. Phuck them I say.
hear hear
Get back on top.
mudlark

Post by mudlark »

Johnno75 wrote:
stui magpie wrote:I actually saw the footage of him signing footys for kids on the 7 news. I agree, sign of character.
There has been plenty of examples where he has done a lot of this and community work not mentioned in the media.

It is what happens when he is out in the booze that the media is all over. Maybe he may have to curb the drink a little when out in public.
I believe he did a couple of footy clinics with Balinese kids while he was over there but who would want to say anything about that??
think positive
Has liked: 240 times
Been liked: 91 times

Post by think positive »

Maybe his mates didn’t upload the videos?

Meanwhile love the pic Jordy just put on his Instagram
You cant fix stupid, turns out you cant quarantine it either!
Woods

Post by Woods »

That friggin ape Jordy has been at it again!
This time fingering Asian chicks up on the Gold Coast.
https://nypost.com/2022/07/01/frisky-or ... ss-at-zoo/
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Jezza
Has liked: 176 times
Been liked: 243 times

Post by Jezza »

Fantastic to see JDG back.

Hope he plays a blinder this evening.
🏆 | 1902 | 1903 | 1910 | 1917 | 1919 | 1927 | 1928 | 1929 | 1930 | 1935 | 1936 | 1953 | 1958 | 1990 | 2010 | 2023 | 🏆
stui magpie
Has liked: 88 times
Been liked: 95 times

Post by stui magpie »

mudlark wrote:
Johnno75 wrote:
stui magpie wrote:I actually saw the footage of him signing footys for kids on the 7 news. I agree, sign of character.
There has been plenty of examples where he has done a lot of this and community work not mentioned in the media.

It is what happens when he is out in the booze that the media is all over. Maybe he may have to curb the drink a little when out in public.
I believe he did a couple of footy clinics with Balinese kids while he was over there but who would want to say anything about that??
He did do a training run with the local AFL team and was complimented on how he fitted in like one of the boys. Approachable, fun but also serious with the training.

Now that we're out of the Pokies game, can we buy a night club and implement a no phone rule?
Every dead body on Mt Everest was once a highly motivated person, so maybe just calm the **** down.
inxs88
Been liked: 4 times

Jordan DeGoey 2023 deep dive discussion

Post by inxs88 »

It's very easy to kick a man while he is down but obviously Jordan's tenure at the Carringbush is front and centre of discussions. Jordy has provided us all some great joy over the years but equally lots of heartache with his injuries, off field issues and lack of commitment to the cause. In posting this thread, I am going to ignore Jordan's rank performance Saturday night.

But what is of greater assessment is the two year window of his most recent contract. Why? Well we are all assessed on recent performance and Jordan's purported contract of $750,000-$800,000 pa definitely had a component based on "potential" factored in.

So has Jordan in the 2021-2022 period played accordingly to this package? Is he a midfielder, on-baller or a combination of the two? Does he enhance the team ethos and club image? Would this cash be better served re-distributing to better existing players or trade in targets? Is he a bona fide match-winner or a 3-4 game per season point of difference?

To me Jordan is a 7/10 mid-fielder who despite some impressive time there in the last 2 seasons, has had more affect up forward winning us matches than on the ball. if stationed forward 80% of the time, history and averages suggest he is a 40-50+ goal per season commodity and an 8-9/10 forward. However, with a lack of commitment and professionalism to fitness vs his contemporaries such as Petracca, Walsh and Brayshaw, this too mitigates his contract requests.

So with 27 years of age looming, 8 full seasons of sample size at the club's disposal and a lack of return on the last contract's investment, prudent list management should not be obliged to offer more than 2 years at $600,000 pa and most likely shall do so knowing his brother in law agent shall rebuff the deal. St Kilda would be dumb enough to chase him and sell the farm and if so, they can have him. A top 10-12 pick may be unders but in some way may also be a godsend for everybody.

It's a very nuanced discussion with merit for keeping him just as merited as letting him go. I just think $800,000 could be better spent and like a good 8 year old car, could be traded in for a top draft choice/two. Welcome your thoughts.
I love the Pies, hate Carlscum
warburton lad
Has liked: 1 time
Been liked: 51 times

Post by warburton lad »

We keep De Goey (5 years at $720K/annum) and play him in the centre-forward role alternating with Jamie Elliott.

2023 Team- Assuming the recruitment of: McStay & Bobby Hill and the return of Grundy and Kreuger from injury.

B: Maynard. Moore. Howe

HB : Pendlebury Murphy. Quaynor

C: J Daicos. De Goey. Sidebottom

HF: Henry. Kreuger. Mihocek

F: Elliott. McStay. Ginnivan

Ruck: Grundy. Crisp Adams

IC: Bobby Hill, N. Daicos, Cameron, Lipinski

Emergency: C Brown, T Brown, MacRae, Poulter, McCreery, Kelly, McMahon, Dean, Cox, Bianco, Madgen, Johnson, Carmichael, Wilson, Draper, Ruscoe, McInnes, Murley, Chugg, Harrison, Hoskin-Elliott, Begg....
Firm in the belief that number 17 flag is only months away...
Stinger

Post by Stinger »

^^^Wow - you don't rate John Noble ^^^
alexjvillani

Post by alexjvillani »

McStay is bang average, don't know why you'd persist. I'd offer De Goey 550 for 3 years, no other clubs would risk it and if they do we get decent compensation.
Smoking shadows behind the mirrors - Travis Cloke
mattdally
Been liked: 2 times

Post by mattdally »

McStay? No thanks - keep Jordy
Bobby Hill? No thanks - play McCreery over him every day

Maybe add Tim Taranto or Griffen Logue.
Take_a_Screamer
Been liked: 19 times

Post by Take_a_Screamer »

When we got unproven players: Krueger and Johnson, everybody was excited.
These two took a long time to be ready for senior selection but with injury they (so far) dissapointed.

Now you have offered a similar situation of unproven players: it's McStay and Hill at higher cost. Should we get excited. I think NOT.

Get excited only if ANY expensive recruit already has a measurable reputation and is above average or elite.
Otherwise they join the pool of players who are working hard to fight their way into the seniors.

I favour retaining JDG for what he is worth, not potentially worth.
Last edited by Take_a_Screamer on Mon Jul 04, 2022 5:05 pm, edited 7 times in total.
Ash Johnson...you beauty
Johnson Screamer @ https://www.afl.com.au/video/931485/joh ... -epic-mark? ❤️️
stui magpie
Has liked: 88 times
Been liked: 95 times

Post by stui magpie »

If we let Jordy go via free agency and bring in McStay via free agency, we don't get a pick. We're effectively swapping one for the other and saving some salary cap space.

Some people have mooted that we could trade for McStay and keep the pick, but lets be realistic, Brisbane won't trade unless they get something better than the pick they'd get from the AFL, so we're back to neutral again, we swap one player for an inferior one and save some cap space, unless we can bundle a surplus player into the trade.

My view is we keep Jordy, but only at the right price. Don't lowball him on his contract, offer a price we think is fair and reasonable and if he takes a godfather offer from elsewhere, so be it.

Personally, I'd be offering 2x2x2. A 6 year contract but in 3 parts, with performance and behaviour trigger clauses at the end of 2 years to get the next 2 with built in pay rises also based on triggers.
Every dead body on Mt Everest was once a highly motivated person, so maybe just calm the **** down.
Ronnie McKeowns boots

Post by Ronnie McKeowns boots »

stui magpie wrote:If we let Jordy go via free agency and bring in McStay via free agency, we don't get a pick. We're effectively swapping one for the other and saving some salary cap space.

Some people have mooted that we could trade for McStay and keep the pick, but lets be realistic, Brisbane won't trade unless they get something better than the pick they'd get from the AFL, so we're back to neutral again, we swap one player for an inferior one and save some cap space, unless we can bundle a surplus player into the trade.

My view is we keep Jordy, but only at the right price. Don't lowball him on his contract, offer a price we think is fair and reasonable and if he takes a godfather offer from elsewhere, so be it.

Personally, I'd be offering 2x2x2. A 6 year contract but in 3 parts, with performance and behaviour trigger clauses at the end of 2 years to get the next 2 with built in pay rises also based on triggers.
Ideally we would have all contracts structured this way, but I imagine they would be hard contracts to negotiate with player managers.

I think its highly unlikely there won't be at least one Club out there silly enough to offer him too much money for too many years; we should not match that under any circumstances.

5 year deal is fair, value per year? ....well who knows, whatever we can reasonably afford.

Take it or leave it, cause he will get better offers