#2 Jordan De Goey

This is a Collingwood Bulletin Board - use this forum for general, Pies-related topics. For other footy topics, use Nick's Other AFL forum, and for non-footy sporting topics please use Nick's Sports Bar. For non-sporting topics please use the Victoria Park Tavern.

Moderator: bbmods

uuuuu..... The LoneSTAR

Post by uuuuu..... The LoneSTAR »

Whist still the tag of potential hangs over him, De Goey is a very good footballer. I like the way he's been used this year together with Elliot for centre bounces. A real asset for our current team.

Please remind me, there's the New York incident and the recent Bali one, any others I'm forgetting over the 8 odd years?

On the face of it, I'd be disappointed if it was DeGoey out, McStay In.
Hope we can retain him at a reasonable price & he can stick to the task.
It's going to be interesting to see how this unfolds.
piffdog
Has liked: 4 times
Been liked: 51 times

Post by piffdog »

alexjvillani wrote:McStay is bang average, don't know why you'd persist. I'd offer De Goey 550 for 3 years, no other clubs would risk it and if they do we get decent compensation.
I absolutely think someone will exceed 550 for 3 (we are offering McStay $600 x 5!!

Nice thread - despite some posters on this forum who want to keep “game winners” regardless of any off field. I’m of the view that if we can be spared the “scandals” (I know they’re not really scandals - but massive distractions) then I’m happy for him to stay at $600 on a 2 + 2.

Now we can’t know if there will be any future issues, and I think that other clubs will offer more than that so he may well walk.

Perhaps part of the test of his commitment to the club is wether he stays for $50k or a year less than another club comes with. I don’t think he will - I reckon he will get a higher bid and I think he will leave. If he doesn’t desperately want to stay then we shouldn’t want to keep him.

Last point: what’s he get paid if he has 8 more 11 touch games to end the season? Ironically if he subconsciously has got the shits, he’s not going to add to his value if he doesn’t light it up for the remainder of the season for us.

I’m genuinely indifferent: buy in, stay/take the cash and go. What evs.

Club is bigger than one guy. Hawks did alright when Buddy left - and he had only half the baggage (and is twice the player). Probably not the best example but you can’t cater to one guy for a whole team.
It's never as good/nor bad as it seems...
inxs88
Been liked: 4 times

Post by inxs88 »

I hope McStay... stays and we look elsewhere with the cash. St Kilda would be stupid enough to offer DeGoey 5 years at $850,000 with no strings attached just as they did with Dan Hannebery (who is out of contract now). When combined with the fact that we only offered Jordan a 2 year deal and an extra 2 with triggers (which was pulled), I think he shall pick a rival offer.
Last edited by inxs88 on Mon Jul 04, 2022 8:09 pm, edited 1 time in total.
I love the Pies, hate Carlscum
Pies2016
Has liked: 5 times
Been liked: 105 times

Post by Pies2016 »

It’s a good topic of conversation and I’m not overly fussed which way it goes either, as long as we’re adequately compensated. The club will have a lot more “ data “ at its disposal than we would ever be privy to.
Surely, his next seven or more games have a big bearing as to what the future holds. If he does play good footy between now and the end of the season, then he becomes a hard proposition to walk away from. If his form is poor or inconsistent, the club would have every right to think the relationship has run its race.
I must admit, there’s a side of me that salivates over the thought of Collingwood going to the trade period ( not draft ) with two first rounders in the early teens. The options available to build on the list with both a quality player for the now and an early pick for the future is a unique opportunity. Or we may also decide to bundle them both up and finally nail the 10 year KPF we’ve been so desperate to secure. Obviously, this scenario would mean McStay doesn’t come to the club as a free agent. He would either not come at all or as a trade only and as something closer to market value. ( mid twenties maybe, which is also likely in line with the Lions compo pick )
Just on DeGoey, you can’t deny on field, he’s had a decent year to date. He makes us better but the good clubs also tend to employ the “ no dickhead “ policy, so it aint just about his ability.
Interesting stat - prior to the G C S game, only two players had averaged over 400 metres gained, 20 possessions and 1 goal per game in 2022.
The Bont and DeGoey. Make of that what you will but they are the numbers of someone who has at least had a very solid impact on most game days.
Gary Player “ the harder I practice, the luckier I get “
inxs88
Been liked: 4 times

Post by inxs88 »

Good reply Pies2016
I love the Pies, hate Carlscum
RudeBoy
Been liked: 89 times

Post by RudeBoy »

I note that based on the coaches votes for best players this year, de Goey is currently ranked 2nd, behind only Crisp. So let’s stop pretending JDG is other than one of our top players. However, if he is unable/unwilling to totally commit to our cause then we would be foolish not to consider letting him go. As for his salary, I’d say he is worth around $750,000 pa. I trust Wrighty to make the right call.
think positive
Has liked: 240 times
Been liked: 91 times

Post by think positive »

I don’t agree at all that hes no2, he’s like the kid at school who behaves/plays well for a quarter and the teacher give him a gold star, whereas the all day good kid/tryers getzilch, I’m thinking Pendles. Yes he’s slowing down but not one game this season has DeGoey played Amore complete game than Pendles, or Howe, or noble, or Moore, or Daicos 1 and 2. 11 touches. Way to prove a point. In the game day thread someone asked how to get him into the game! WTF! make an effort. He dropped a mark and ended on his bum, he stayed there, Elliot did the same got up and got the ball back. DeGoey is a flashy once a game if we are lucky player. He’s so frustrating.

600k I reckon, Max. Not yo mention a club that has stuck by him in his yearly whoopsies,

Give me heart players any day. Talent to burn, so damn well use it
You cant fix stupid, turns out you cant quarantine it either!
Piesnchess
Has liked: 202 times
Been liked: 89 times

Post by Piesnchess »

Kane Cornes is a total flog and asshole what he said about De Goey, who did not play well, granted, but for Chrissakes, he just came out of two weeks of media hell, rabid media, raving looney journos, massive spin, hyperventallating HUN rag and Robbo, Caro and Cornes frothing at the mouth. How could anyone play well after that shitpile, plus the bye too. He will be better for the run, and will do well against Nth.
Poverty exists not because we cannot feed the poor, but because we cannot satisfy the rich.

Chess and Vodka are born brothers. - Russian proverb.
piffdog

Post by piffdog »

think positive wrote:I don’t agree at all that hes no2, he’s like the kid at school who behaves/plays well for a quarter and the teacher give him a gold star, whereas the all day good kid/tryers getzilch, I’m thinking Pendles. Yes he’s slowing down but not one game this season has DeGoey played Amore complete game than Pendles, or Howe, or noble, or Moore, or Daicos 1 and 2. 11 touches. Way to prove a point. In the game day thread someone asked how to get him into the game! WTF! make an effort. He dropped a mark and ended on his bum, he stayed there, Elliot did the same got up and got the ball back. DeGoey is a flashy once a game if we are lucky player. He’s so frustrating.

600k I reckon, Max. Not yo mention a club that has stuck by him in his yearly whoopsies,

If he’s as bad/lazy as you are describing then $600k is too much!
Pies4shaw
Has liked: 103 times
Been liked: 120 times

Post by Pies4shaw »

RudeBoy wrote:I note that based on the coaches votes for best players this year, de Goey is currently ranked 2nd, behind only Crisp. So let’s stop pretending JDG is other than one of our top players. However, if he is unable/unwilling to totally commit to our cause then we would be foolish not to consider letting him go. As for his salary, I’d say he is worth around $750,000 pa. I trust Wrighty to make the right call.
Votes in rounds 1, 2, 3 and 4. Then just one game since. According to the coaches' votes, he might have been BOG against St Kilda (unless Lipinski was) and Carlton, good against Adelaide and worthy of votes in losses against Geelong and Brisbane.

I don't know how he got votes in the Geelong game - he was instrumental in us losing a game we should have won by being unable to hit the side of a barn kicking for goal when we were dominant.

As always with him, there are two sides to the argument - you could say that he has received votes in 2022 better than every third game he plays in - or you could say he started the season like a rocket and has fizzled out, since. There's the De Goey who kicked 8 goals in the opening 4 games and the De Goey who has managed just 4 goals in his 9 games since. Ultimately, that's why supporters get frustrated. There is no doubt that he has more basic attributes that can be brought to bear to break games open than most of the players on our list but, equally, he doesn't do it very often. Prior to this season, he has never received 3 Brownlow votes in more than one game a year - and save for 2017 (where he was rated BOG by the umpires in round 18), his 3-vote Brownlow performances have come in rounds 7 (2018 - actually round 4 for him - he missed the first 3 games), 2 (2019), 7 (2020) and 8 (2021 - against the hapless North Melbourne).
piffdog

Post by piffdog »

Good stats. Be worth checking in on where all our brownlow votes do come from overt the last couple years.
Mr Miyagi
Has liked: 64 times
Been liked: 131 times

Post by Mr Miyagi »

Last edited by Mr Miyagi on Tue Jul 05, 2022 4:22 pm, edited 1 time in total.
think positive
Has liked: 240 times
Been liked: 91 times

Post by think positive »

piffdog wrote:
think positive wrote:I don’t agree at all that hes no2, he’s like the kid at school who behaves/plays well for a quarter and the teacher give him a gold star, whereas the all day good kid/tryers getzilch, I’m thinking Pendles. Yes he’s slowing down but not one game this season has DeGoey played Amore complete game than Pendles, or Howe, or noble, or Moore, or Daicos 1 and 2. 11 touches. Way to prove a point. In the game day thread someone asked how to get him into the game! WTF! make an effort. He dropped a mark and ended on his bum, he stayed there, Elliot did the same got up and got the ball back. DeGoey is a flashy once a game if we are lucky player. He’s so frustrating.

If he’s as bad/lazy as you are describing then $600k is too much!
I was being generous, he deserves a living wage, lawyers are expensive

Great post P4S that’s thing he’s does something flashy and people remember it .he’s not a tagger so stats don’t lie
You cant fix stupid, turns out you cant quarantine it either!
derkd
Has liked: 3 times
Been liked: 23 times

Post by derkd »

Look I am sure he will be better for the run last week.

I know Kane Cornes has made this point, and it is valid one, for a player (supposedly) seeking a 800k+ contract he has never had even a top 10 b&f year. Granted injuries in some years. I have always felt he is a two quater player....yes he can tear a game apart in two quaters...but if he was a four quater player...he would be Dusty Martin esk....maybe he never will be.

Look I hope Degoey re discovers his love for the game.. I just feel it is one of those situations that both the club and the player need a fresh start.
"To know nothing of events before your birth, is to forever remain a child" - Cicero (Roman Lawyer/Senator) 46 BCE.
mudlark

Post by mudlark »

mattdally wrote:McStay? No thanks - keep Jordy
Bobby Hill? No thanks - play McCreery over him every day

Maybe add Tim Taranto or Griffen Logue.
McCreery really needs to start getting the pill. Tackles are fine but small forwards need to kick goals. Apparently this was the reason we held onto Josh Thomas for so long.