#12 Matt Scharenberg

Player President threads here thanks.

Moderator: bbmods

RudeBoy
Been liked: 74 times

Post by RudeBoy »

themonk wrote:
John Wren wrote:
RudeBoy wrote: Let's hope then that he remains a Collingwood player.
he came down to williamstown to watch the vfl play. seems fairly invested in the club.
The fact that Maxy is talking him up as a future leader is a good sign.
Seems to me that the club is doing its best to make him feel he has a great future with us, but given his current contract expires at the end of September, and that the club had hoped to have his signature several months ago, it's reasonable to presume he's considering a move back to Adelaide. Hine has admitted the club is aware the Crows will have a massive war chest to throw at Scharenberg, due to the salary cap space from Dangerfield's departure. I hope I'm worrying unnecessarily, but I'm far from confident he'll be in black and white next year. I'll be rapt if I'm wrong.
Lazza

Post by Lazza »

RudeBoy wrote:Seems to me that the club is doing its best to make him feel he has a great future with us, but given his current contract expires at the end of September, and that the club had hoped to have his signature several months ago, it's reasonable to presume he's considering a move back to Adelaide. Hine has admitted the club is aware the Crows will have a massive war chest to throw at Scharenberg, due to the salary cap space from Dangerfield's departure. I hope I'm worrying unnecessarily, but I'm far from confident he'll be in black and white next year. I'll be rapt if I'm wrong.
After the Beams stuff last season, I can definitely see where you are coming from RB. Also the lad hasn't made any positive comments like "its very likely that I will sign with Collingwood again" etc. I also keep my fingers crossed but the pall of uncertainty remains.
Don't confuse your current path with your final destination. Just because it's dark and stormy now doesn't meant that you aren't headed for glorious sunshine!
BBHS
Has liked: 6 times
Been liked: 5 times

Post by BBHS »

I'm just glad we got to see him run around this year. To me he still looks tentative but clearly an A -grade reader of the play. Exciting stuff for the Berg I think. Hope he ends up a genuine utility
John Wren

Post by John Wren »

Lazza wrote:
RudeBoy wrote:Seems to me that the club is doing its best to make him feel he has a great future with us, but given his current contract expires at the end of September, and that the club had hoped to have his signature several months ago, it's reasonable to presume he's considering a move back to Adelaide. Hine has admitted the club is aware the Crows will have a massive war chest to throw at Scharenberg, due to the salary cap space from Dangerfield's departure. I hope I'm worrying unnecessarily, but I'm far from confident he'll be in black and white next year. I'll be rapt if I'm wrong.
After the Beams stuff last season, I can definitely see where you are coming from RB. Also the lad hasn't made any positive comments like "its very likely that I will sign with Collingwood again" etc. I also keep my fingers crossed but the pall of uncertainty remains.
he comes across as an intensely quiet and introverted lad. i think making such statements are the least of his concerns.
Purveyor of sanctimonious twaddle.
qldmagpie67
Been liked: 78 times

Post by qldmagpie67 »

Lazza wrote:
I'm hoping now he has tasted senior football his heart might lean towards staying with the club and the younger players in his age bracket 18-23 who he can have a long successful career beside.
If not then let's stick it to the crows tell them we want a player + top 10 draft pick nothing less or we will trade him to whoever has the best offer no matter where that destination is. Or he can stay and play for us.
Time to play hard ball. Love only gets you so far.
Lazza

Post by Lazza »

John Wren wrote:he comes across as an intensely quiet and introverted lad. i think making such statements are the least of his concerns.
Fair enough JW, I get the distinct impression from you that he is very likely to re - sign.
Don't confuse your current path with your final destination. Just because it's dark and stormy now doesn't meant that you aren't headed for glorious sunshine!
John Wren

Post by John Wren »

Lazza wrote:
John Wren wrote:he comes across as an intensely quiet and introverted lad. i think making such statements are the least of his concerns.
Fair enough JW, I get the distinct impression from you that he is very likely to re - sign.
lazza, if he fails to sign on with us i will share with you the finest luwak coffee or ooling tea and we can have a toast to happier times.
Purveyor of sanctimonious twaddle.
Lazza

Post by Lazza »

John Wren wrote:
Lazza wrote:
lazza, if he fails to sign on with us i will share with you the finest luwak coffee or ooling tea and we can have a toast to happier times.
I'll keep you to that promise JW.. :twisted:
35forever

Post by 35forever »

On Saturday's performance I'd like to see him remain at Westpac. That said, a few more such performances will put him in a much higher orbit come trade time. Matty Sharenberg playing well can only be a good thing for us.
His game on Saturday showed us a big tall mid who takes a great mark, makes good decisions, and can hunt the ball. In traffic he seems to have that strange trait of having more time to do things than those around him, something only Pendles and Steelo have in our current list, and which was virtually invented by King Peter the Great (Daics to you). As someone pointed out he was down at Willy watching the Magoos, a good sign that he's invested in the side and has good mates there, I really do hope Collingwood does what's necessary to get his autograph on a new contract. Not many players show as many good signs on debut as Shazza did on Saturday, and in a side which had a god-awful day. I know it was only 16 touches, but his ground work and one-percenters were quite wonderful for a debutant, and he shows great strength and run.

Now we need Freeman to show us what he's got! I still remember that first half in the 2014 NAB cup, and his speed through the corridor was extremely exciting to watch. My concern is that we're going to be a bit like a Fantasy Football side with a dozen excellent mids and stuff all in the backline and forward line (except Moore). We're going to have two half-million-dollar-guys on the 'bench', which is bad FF! We need to invent new positions like "Running back" or "Clearance Back" which would be a mid's job, as opposed to "Defensive back" which is a KPP. Same with the Forwards, we need one or two "Chase-down Forwards" and several "Scoring Forwards". Preferably who can kick! This is another reason why Shazza is a "must keep", his size, strength, and marking ability make him a guy who can be a mid or a KPP, making him doubly useful, and damn hard to match up on.
"If at first you dont succeed...
... oh who cares, we did it!!!!!"

-me, 2010
"The pies are going to the big dance!"-P.Daicos 2010
Visit My Website!
Dave The Man

Post by Dave The Man »

35forever wrote:On Saturday's performance I'd like to see him remain at Westpac. That said, a few more such performances will put him in a much higher orbit come trade time. Matty Sharenberg playing well can only be a good thing for us.
His game on Saturday showed us a big tall mid who takes a great mark, makes good decisions, and can hunt the ball. In traffic he seems to have that strange trait of having more time to do things than those around him, something only Pendles and Steelo have in our current list, and which was virtually invented by King Peter the Great (Daics to you). As someone pointed out he was down at Willy watching the Magoos, a good sign that he's invested in the side and has good mates there, I really do hope Collingwood does what's necessary to get his autograph on a new contract. Not many players show as many good signs on debut as Shazza did on Saturday, and in a side which had a god-awful day. I know it was only 16 touches, but his ground work and one-percenters were quite wonderful for a debutant, and he shows great strength and run.
I am pretty Confident Scharnberg be a Pie in 2016
I am Da Man
Tannin

Post by Tannin »

35forever wrote:We need to invent new positions like "Running back" or "Clearance Back" which would be a mid's job, as opposed to "Defensive back" which is a KPP.
Tom Hafey and Norm Smith and one or two others amongst those smart old guys actually had a term for this role. They used to call the blokes they assigned to it "half-back flankers", but for some reason the term didn't seem to catch on.
�Let's eat Grandma.� Commas save lives!
Dave The Man

Post by Dave The Man »

Tannin wrote:
35forever wrote:We need to invent new positions like "Running back" or "Clearance Back" which would be a mid's job, as opposed to "Defensive back" which is a KPP.
Tom Hafey and Norm Smith and one or two others amongst those smart old guys actually had a term for this role. They used to call the blokes they assigned to it "half-back flankers", but for some reason the term didn't seem to catch on.
Showing how the Media is being very American and forgetting that we live in Australia and AFL is a Aussie Game not a Bloody American Game :evil:
I am Da Man
AN_Inkling

Post by AN_Inkling »

RudeBoy wrote:
themonk wrote:
John Wren wrote: he came down to williamstown to watch the vfl play. seems fairly invested in the club.
The fact that Maxy is talking him up as a future leader is a good sign.
Seems to me that the club is doing its best to make him feel he has a great future with us, but given his current contract expires at the end of September, and that the club had hoped to have his signature several months ago, it's reasonable to presume he's considering a move back to Adelaide. Hine has admitted the club is aware the Crows will have a massive war chest to throw at Scharenberg, due to the salary cap space from Dangerfield's departure. I hope I'm worrying unnecessarily, but I'm far from confident he'll be in black and white next year. I'll be rapt if I'm wrong.
Not reasonable, no. The other player in an almost identical situation in Freeman has also not signed. It would be more reasonable to assume that both are looking to add more value before re-signing. That's not to say he won't leave or is not considering it, just that we don't yet have anything to suggest he is.
Well done boys!
RudeBoy
Been liked: 74 times

Post by RudeBoy »

AN_Inkling wrote:
RudeBoy wrote:
themonk wrote: The fact that Maxy is talking him up as a future leader is a good sign.
Not reasonable, no. The other player in an almost identical situation in Freeman has also not signed. It would be more reasonable to assume that both are looking to add more value before re-signing. That's not to say he won't leave or is not considering it, just that we don't yet have anything to suggest he is.
I wish you were right, but unfortunately you're wrong inky. The club has made it clear they've been trying to get Scharenberg to sign on for several months, during which time, they've signed on De Goey, Maynard, Ramsay and Moore. About 2 months ago Hine declared he expected to have Scharenberg's signature in a couple of weeks. Then we were told that his manager had advised the club he wouldn't even be sitting down to discuss his contract until he started playing senior footy. Hine also said that the club is aware that the Crows are circling with massive space in their salary cap owing to Dangerfield's expected departure. Of course none of this means he will be leaving, and given the investment we've put into him, I hope he stays and becomes a future Collingwood champion, but as each day passes and we edge nearer to the expiration of his current contract in a few weeks time, I am becoming more skeptical of his commitment to the Pies. I really hope I'm wrong, but my gut tells me he's looking to return to Adelaide.
Member 7167

Post by Member 7167 »

When considering the above it would be poor form when considering the manner in which he was originally recruited (injuries and all) the medical and other support he has received to date and the fact hat he has only played 1 game at AFL to date as a direct result of his injuries.

I hope he stays and if he does not we get a fair return on our investment.
Now Retired - Every Day Is A Saturday