Farewell #13 Taylor Adams

Player President threads here thanks.

Moderator: bbmods

Didaksgoal

Post by Didaksgoal »

Adams will be right. He's tough, can get the ball..........just at the moment, he shanks his kicks in front of goal........no one has ever done that before. :-)

He just needs to get out at training, run at the goals from 30 - 50 metres out, from all angles, and just practice, practice, practice.

He'll be right.

Go the Pies
AN_Inkling

Re: Adams should stop Trying too Hard

Post by AN_Inkling »

dalyc wrote:
Dave The Man wrote:The reason I think his Kicking is not been Fantastic is that he trying way to hard to make a Impression on Collingwood.

So If he can go back to playing like he was in GWS, I reckon he can easily become a Best 22 Player in the next 2 Seasons.

Most of our Recruits come good in there 2nd Season. Like L Brown and Medhurst.

Who else Agrees

My issue is not with Adams but the stupid, yes stupid, and un warranted pre-season yabber about the how this kid was going to take Balls spot and play all 23 games in his first year at our club. I think he will make the grade and be a good player for our club but he needs time and development.
Yeah, tossing aside Ball prematurely just because we think the kid will make it would be a mistake. We're not St Kilda. He needs to prove his ability, but more importantly his responsibility and leadership credentials. This position is not a forward pocket or half back flank, it's the engine room of our midfield, and a potential top 4 team does not replace a veteran with a kid without that kid forcing the veteran out with brilliant performances. Adams has not done that yet.

And I see 2010 referenced often in relation to this change. The circumstances are very different. We did not toss out a tried veteran (O'Bree) with an untried kid. We replaced him with a proven player and former captain of his original club in Luke Ball. Just as we replaced Fraser with Jolly. This brought leadership and proven ability to our club, it did not take it away. We also brought in some kids (eg. Blair) but they were placed in more peripheral roles, like forward pocket, not leadership roles.

Adams has not yet proven he's ready, and until he does, Luke Ball is still our number 1 main extractor.
Last edited by AN_Inkling on Tue Jun 03, 2014 12:12 am, edited 1 time in total.
Well done boys!
Damien
Has liked: 3 times
Been liked: 11 times

Post by Damien »

Dave The Man wrote:
Damien wrote:This is not a comment about Adams' kicking:

I remember watching a kid who was the shittest of kicks going round when he came to us from Sydney. But he improved it remarkably with hard work and dedication. He had the biggest heart and became a dual Copeland trophy winner when there were some guns in the team. One of my all time faves.
Licuria?
Got it in one Dave
'Collingwood are the Bradmans of Football'
The Herald - 1930
Dave The Man
Been liked: 5 times

Post by Dave The Man »

Damien wrote:
Dave The Man wrote:
Damien wrote:This is not a comment about Adams' kicking:

I remember watching a kid who was the shittest of kicks going round when he came to us from Sydney. But he improved it remarkably with hard work and dedication. He had the biggest heart and became a dual Copeland trophy winner when there were some guns in the team. One of my all time faves.
Licuria?
Got it in one Dave
So you think Adams could be very Simmlar to Licca?
I am Da Man
melliot

Post by melliot »

I can think of a great young inside mid that was an ordinary kick. He even won an ANZAC medal as a teenager and looked a star in the making.

Ended up being traded to Saints and not doing much in the end.

For every example of success, there are plenty of failures too.

Taylors kicking display was poor for his most recent game. Some of the worst I've seen for a while for a player at that level and a mid. If the cause was because he tried too hard I'd hate to see what he does when he isn't trying. Taylor needs to do plenty of work on it. Cos it costs.

Dave I'm amazed. If it was Trav, you'd be telling us he should be dropped to find kicking form. This despite him providing huge structure and no valid replacement. Yet Taylor has a better replacement. Try to leave your bias aside when making a true judgment.

Not saying Taylor isn't any good. Looks a beauty. But butchers the ball. Needs to get that skill to an acceptable level.
melliot

Post by melliot »

I can think of a great young inside mid that was an ordinary kick. He even won an ANZAC medal as a teenager and looked a star in the making.

Taylors kicking display was poor for his most recent game. Some of the worst I've seen for a while for a player at that level and a mid. If the cause was because he tried too hard I'd hate to see what he does when he isn't trying. Taylor needs to do plenty of work on it. Cos it costs.

Dave I'm amazed. If it was Trav, you'd be telling us he should be dropped to find kicking form. This despite him providing huge structure and no valid replacement. Yet Taylor has a better replacement. Try to leave your bias aside when making a true judgment.

Not saying Taylor isn't any good. Looks a beauty. But butchers the ball. Needs to get that skill to an acceptable level.
Dave The Man
Been liked: 5 times

Post by Dave The Man »

melliot wrote:I can think of a great young inside mid that was an ordinary kick. He even won an ANZAC medal as a teenager and looked a star in the making.

Adams is way better then McGough.

Adams has done really well 2 weeks ago at VFL Level vs Cats on a Dry Ground
I am Da Man
RudeBoy
Been liked: 73 times

Post by RudeBoy »

I think Adams is already better than Ball. But he will get much, much better, the more games he gets under his belt. He needs to be played in the middle for at least 3 games in a row so he can settle into his role. Does anyone recall Fasolo's 2nd goal on Friday night, kicked through on the goal line, after Adams did a Kamikaze dive through the pack, using his body as a human battering ram, forcing the ball on to Fasolo who goaled. He's already in my best 22.
Az

Post by Az »

qldmagpie67 wrote:
Az wrote:I have to disagree sorry. Make all the excuses you want, that was a very poor display of football skills by any standard
AZ do you remember Sidey missing 3 shots from with 25-30 with little angle only a couple,weeks ago ?
I'm more prepared too cut the kid a break after 4 or 5 games before cutting a player who has played over 100 games making equally as poor display of kicking.
Give the kid a break mate he can't get worse so there is a upside
I'm not talking only about 3 missed shots on goal mate. I'm talking about the numerous clangers all over the ground the resulted in turn overs. After 4 or 5 games? This kid has had the rare opportunity to be exposed to more senior football than most kids his age with playing 2 seasons with the Giants. We are not talking about a 4 or 5 gamer here. By now he should be used to standing up under pressure surely?
E

Post by E »

Az wrote:
qldmagpie67 wrote:
Az wrote:I have to disagree sorry. Make all the excuses you want, that was a very poor display of football skills by any standard
AZ do you remember Sidey missing 3 shots from with 25-30 with little angle only a couple,weeks ago ?
I'm more prepared too cut the kid a break after 4 or 5 games before cutting a player who has played over 100 games making equally as poor display of kicking.
Give the kid a break mate he can't get worse so there is a upside
I'm not talking only about 3 missed shots on goal mate. I'm talking about the numerous clangers all over the ground the resulted in turn overs. After 4 or 5 games? This kid has had the rare opportunity to be exposed to more senior football than most kids his age with playing 2 seasons with the Giants. We are not talking about a 4 or 5 gamer here. By now he should be used to standing up under pressure surely?
as daisy said so eloquently - "Heters are going to hate". would you believe there are people on this site who say the samne thing about Steele Sidebottom.

There have been some mention of the fact that he may be placing undue pressure on himself to prove himself worthy. It is a very common problem that befalls number 1 draft picks and big contract or heavily recruited players. the desire to live up to lofty expectations.

add to this the fact that his position in the team is not secure by any means and we have ample reasons to think that these clear problems he is showing in the seniors could be correctible in time with confidence and time.

For those who have seen him in the twos I would be very very interested to hear what his disposals are like during his great games? I think ultimately if he is highly skilled, he will get over what is holding him back at the minute. If he is under skilled, he might be able to correct it (as others on this site have noted Lucuria, BJ, tony shaw, James Manson and others were able to do).

some here have taken shots at Sinkers, but no matter what your opinion of him was before he hurt himself, everyone would have to admit he is infinitely better at disposing the ball than his first 5 weeks of footy for the pies suggested. he used to run in to open goals and kick them out on the full.

I would be very surprised if bucks is as far off the mark on this kid as it appears to be at the minute.
Mugwump

Post by Mugwump »

AN_Inkling wrote:A tale of two players

Player 1: is a "terrible" kick and had two of the worst shots for goal I've seen last week. But he's just trying too hard and Bucks rates him so he must be a genuine star in the making.

Player 2: early in his career was a "terrible" kick and had some awful shots at goal, though he now plays in defense. Clearly a complete dud and should not play for Collingwood again. Bucks rates him but that's just because he's playing favourites.

Can you tell me which two players these are Dave ? ;)
Ummm... Premiership player Rhyce Shaw ? Ah, wrong club , sorry !!!
Two more flags before I die!
melliot

Post by melliot »

RudeBoy wrote:I think Adams is already better than Ball. But he will get much, much better, the more games he gets under his belt. He needs to be played in the middle for at least 3 games in a row so he can settle into his role. Does anyone recall Fasolo's 2nd goal on Friday night, kicked through on the goal line, after Adams did a Kamikaze dive through the pack, using his body as a human battering ram, forcing the ball on to Fasolo who goaled. He's already in my best 22.
Adams is not better than Ball ATM. Your kidding yourself.

The future, well maybe. Time will tell. No doubt age will catch up with Ball, if not by the end of the year or the next. Ball is a class act and brings more to the game than his in-under ability. Don't underestimate the additional leadership he brings to the side.

I hope Adams is a huge success and I think he will be. He has shown great signs and elements to his game. But lets not get ahead of what he produces at the moment. The OP is about his kicking and it is a clear weakness. It is below standard. Stop making excuses. He needs to work on it and improve it, whether it be technique or mental application under pressure. But lets not think it is not an issue.
nomadjack

Post by nomadjack »

Saw him play in the twos at windy hill a few weeks ago and he butchered it by foot then as well. Mentioned in a post not long after that he seems to be trying to kick the cover off it. I don't think there's much wrong with his technique - just needs a little more composure and to take a little bit off his kicking. Have no doubt he will be a gem though...Reminds me of Voss the way he attacks the footy and uses his body as a battering ram. Has a great set of hands too. Give him time...
MJ23

Post by MJ23 »

Unlike Daves sidebottom comments, I think he is right with this one.
Taylor will be a beauty - he has all the hall marks albeit with some development opportunities.

Id have thought this is right up the clubs alley.
Natural ball winner, tough as nails, hard runner, hard worker, dedicated and aligned with the coach.

He is so keen to repay the faith no doubt there is added pressure that will be sorted with experience and coaching.
I think Kennedy is in the same boat.

Not worried at all about these blokes - currently they are providing the depth we are now getting recognized for. Soon they will be perm senior players.

I remember Reid butchering the ball in his early games.Probably one of our best kicks now.
"Even when Im old and gray, I wont be able to play but Ill still love the game"
Michael Jordan
3rd degree

Post by 3rd degree »

Dave The Man wrote:
melliot wrote:I can think of a great young inside mid that was an ordinary kick. He even won an ANZAC medal as a teenager and looked a star in the making.

Adams is way better then McGough.

Well were is his ANZAC Day Medal Dave??? :wink:
" Ohhh Banksy and out comes the Note Book".

www.facebook/the hybernators