#2 Jordan De Goey

This is a Collingwood Bulletin Board - use this forum for general, Pies-related topics. For other footy topics, use Nick's Other AFL forum, and for non-footy sporting topics please use Nick's Sports Bar. For non-sporting topics please use the Victoria Park Tavern.

Moderator: bbmods

Take_a_Screamer
Has liked: 1 time
Been liked: 19 times

Post by Take_a_Screamer »

I don't who this Sam McClure is. I wanted to see what he looks like so I Googled for his photo.
I found several. One was prominent with the word C*NT right across it. LOL
Ash Johnson...you beauty
Johnson Screamer @ https://www.afl.com.au/video/931485/joh ... -epic-mark? ❤️️
stui magpie
Has liked: 88 times
Been liked: 95 times

Post by stui magpie »

Piesnchess wrote:
Pies4shaw wrote:^ Why would you think any of that is surprising? The Club pulled his contract offer - this is not something you do when you are going to double down and keep a player, come what may. I'm not expressing any view one way or the other but in light of the publicly available information, Sam's comments are scarcely controversial.

True, but he media basically forced the clubs hand back then, all that massive hype and spin that came out daily. As for this little obnoxious prick he had NO evidence to back up his claims, just rumour and innuendo, his stock in trade, many times before too. :o
A pity, his father Geoff was actually a good sports journo.
Every dead body on Mt Everest was once a highly motivated person, so maybe just calm the **** down.
qldmagpie67
Been liked: 89 times

Post by qldmagpie67 »

The mail is we will lose either Grundy or JDG
We are massively into Taranto he fits a load of our needs and McRae is a huge fan of his
The offer to JDG now is going to be around $100k less a season as a base with incentives built in terms of games played and behaviour to trigger bonuses and extensions
His brother in law is shopping him around but he won’t get a massive pay day anywhere other than North and now that’s dependant on who they appoint as coach
Grundy is a interesting one he wants to stay at the club so any trade would be difficult but if the club hinted he wasn’t going to be playing AFL (which would sound weird considering his pay packet) but it might be a ploy to force his hand
Adelaide are interested but aren’t going to load up a offer yet when they don’t know exactly what we are prepared to take because in there view they might land him for what they consider unders
His pay packet is the sticking point for any suitor even if the rumour his contract was front loaded he’s still going to be earning around $800kma season which is a massive outlay for a ruck
The McStay talk isn’t a a done deal like the media say
If we do make a play for him it will be on much lower $$$ than is being spoken about
He’s viewed by us as a defender who can swing forward

No matter which way the dominos fall we will be active in the market place it appears
Pies2016
Has liked: 5 times
Been liked: 106 times

Post by Pies2016 »

^ ^ ^
There’s no doubt the trade / draft combinations and permutations on offer are the likes of which we haven’t seen for years at Collingwood.
I keep hearing Taranto is either bound for the Pies or Richmond. Supposedly Pies have the inside running but that depends who you talk to. I’d suggest if either DeGoey or Grundy do move on, then Taranto is close to a lock. Good player, hard trainer and can go forward and hit the scoreboard when required.
Richmond’s window is all but closed and ours is opening. I know where I would want to go.
I don’t get all the angst directed towards to McStay. I see him as a really solid replacement for a key defensive spot, a position he played while under Leppitsch watch at the Lions. We only invested in Krueger as our CHF twelve months ago, so I don’t see that being disrupted just because McStay comes on board. 26 / 27 years old, 150 odd games and a big body. It’s close to exactly what we want. Sure we would like one of the King twins but you can’t order cocktails when you’re on the beer budget. Reckon the list will have a bit more balance and symmetry about it by the start of the 2023 season.
Gary Player “ the harder I practice, the luckier I get “
warburton lad
Has liked: 1 time
Been liked: 51 times

Post by warburton lad »

McStay = the Lynden Dunn replacement we crave (big-bodied backman who has the size and aggression to make opposition forwards lose interest - think Craig Kelly/Kevin Worthington types).

Taranto= the midfielder who will sooner rather than later replace Pendles/Adams/Sidey type as they transition to retirement.

De Goey will stay at slightly reduced contract than originally offered ($725K rather than $800k)

Grundy will regain his spot as our premier ruck forward swapping on the ball with Cameron.
Firm in the belief that number 17 flag is only months away...
RudeBoy

Post by RudeBoy »

I hope you are right on all fronts Laddy.

I'm yet to be convinced of McStay's value, but trust our footy department on that score. I just have never seem him do much at all.

Taranto is exactly the type of player we need and people seem to forget far too easily how lucky we are to have JDG and Grundy. I just hope Jordy's idiot brother-in-law/manager does not sabotage his dealings with us.
Piesnchess
Has liked: 202 times

Post by Piesnchess »

warburton lad wrote:McStay = the Lynden Dunn replacement we crave (big-bodied backman who has the size and aggression to make opposition forwards lose interest - think Craig Kelly/Kevin Worthington types).

Taranto= the midfielder who will sooner rather than later replace Pendles/Adams/Sidey type as they transition to retirement.

De Goey will stay at slightly reduced contract than originally offered ($725K rather than $800k)

Grundy will regain his spot as our premier ruck forward swapping on the ball with Cameron.

Correct weight, there is NO way the club would be shopping either around at this stage, no way, not with a Finals campaign looming, in which we will definitely need both playing, with a strong united team, all of them united. Its just crass scaremongering by that little twit whose name i shall not mention. Jeez, and i thought Caro was bad, hes a whole new ball game, and remember one thing, hes very one eyed Carlton fan, too, would love to cause dissension in our ranks , make no mistake. :o
Poverty exists not because we cannot feed the poor, but because we cannot satisfy the rich.

Chess and Vodka are born brothers. - Russian proverb.
Pies2016

Post by Pies2016 »

Piesnchess wrote:
warburton lad wrote:McStay = the Lynden Dunn replacement we crave (big-bodied backman who has the size and aggression to make opposition forwards lose interest - think Craig Kelly/Kevin Worthington types).

Correct weight, there is NO way the club would be shopping either around at this stage, no way, not with a Finals campaign looming, in which we will definitely need both playing, with a strong united team, all of them united. Its just crass scaremongering by that little twit whose name i shall not mention. Jeez, and i thought Caro was bad, hes a whole new ball game, and remember one thing, hes very one eyed Carlton fan, too, would love to cause dissension in our ranks , make no mistake. :o
PNC, if you were DeGoeys manager and Collingwood had just pulled an offer off the table ( we know this as fact ) then what would you do to protect your clients best interests ? You would put out the feelers and sound out what possible opportunities lie elsewhere. Contract negotiations are lengthy, you don’t wait till the off season to make enquiries when clubs have already committed elsewhere. It doesn’t have to be Collingwood shopping DeGoey around, it’s much closer to his manager simply doing his job. That’s why they have managers, to help the players keep their focus on what they do best, play footy. Grundy is an entirely different story.
Piesnchess

Post by Piesnchess »

Yeh, but we have been very patient with Jordon, he knows that, he knows our window is opening now, for a real shot at a flag, and wont be at a dead end club like the Saints. or Norf. My gut feeling is he will stay, and so will Grundy, this is truly scuttlebut rumour time, not just with us either, the Tigers are copping it too. :? :o
Poverty exists not because we cannot feed the poor, but because we cannot satisfy the rich.

swoop42
Been liked: 3 times

Post by swoop42 »

De Goey going to Geelong would be a disastrous outcome IMO.

Not only would we need to replace a highly talented footballer to just break even when it comes to our own 22 we would be improving a team who'll remain one of our fiercest competitors for a Premiership in the coming seasons.

Surely the art of any great trade is making sure you improve your clubs position but in the process don't give an already superior team an added advantage and diminish your chances of beating them for a flag in the immediate future.

If we trade De Goey to Geelong I'd argue we'll be further away from a Premiership at the start of 2023.

Stuff that.

If De Goey wants out then a side like St Kilda is a far better outcome for us not only because they're an inferior team to Geelong, after 100 years of mediocrity I can't see De Goey being the catalyst for change.

P.S- Any chance the Geelong TPP will ever be scrutinised?

We had to conduct a fire sale at the end of 2020 and yet a side who has missed finals once in a decade and attracted some of the games biggest trade targets since 2015 in Dangerfield and Cameron can now afford De Goey.
He's mad. He's bad. He's MaynHARD!
RudeBoy

Post by RudeBoy »

If Selwood hangs up the boots, they'll go all out for JDG I reckon. They also know that Dangerfield is entering his twilight years.
magpieazza

Post by magpieazza »

Its a wonder why Geelong havent been scrutinised, and it sickens me that they are just always always always always playing finals every friggin year.....totally makes me vomit and they are on par with Carlton as most hated team!!!

So the only reason I can think they have been putridly successful at attracting/retaining players is there lower price of living levels, where as a player can live in a comfortable home at a far reduced price than the same comfortable home in Melbourne.
If this is true then this is not an even playing field. Same as Sydney have extra cap for cost of living in Sydney ( if this still is applicable in 2022 ) so the Geelong cap should be tightened a little.....I know it sounds like Im scraping the bottom of the barrel but I cant think of why they are continually at the top and other Melbourne clubs have to endure the merry go round of going up and down the ladder.
Theres something smelly about Geelong besides their sewerage system.
Carpe diem quam minimum credula postero.
Piesnchess

Post by Piesnchess »

swoop42 wrote:De Goey going to Geelong would be a disastrous outcome IMO.

Not only would we need to replace a highly talented footballer to just break even when it comes to our own 22 we would be improving a team who'll remain one of our fiercest competitors for a Premiership in the coming seasons.

Surely the art of any great trade is making sure you improve your clubs position but in the process don't give an already superior team an added advantage and diminish your chances of beating them for a flag in the immediate future.

If we trade De Goey to Geelong I'd argue we'll be further away from a Premiership at the start of 2023.

Stuff that.

If De Goey wants out then a side like St Kilda is a far better outcome for us not only because they're an inferior team to Geelong, after 100 years of mediocrity I can't see De Goey being the catalyst for change.

P.S- Any chance the Geelong TPP will ever be scrutinised?

We had to conduct a fire sale at the end of 2020 and yet a side who has missed finals once in a decade and attracted some of the games biggest trade targets since 2015 in Dangerfield and Cameron can now afford De Goey.

AHEM, dont they have a bloody salary cap down at Sleepy Hollow, dont the Cats have a cap, ?? The buggers have Sellwood, Hawkins, Danger, Toohey, Cameron, etc etc, and others, all on massive contracts , now the dorks want De Goey ????? Jezzus, who is cooking the books down there, i wonder ???? :o :shock:

Pies4shaw
Has liked: 103 times
Been liked: 120 times

Post by Pies4shaw »

Swoop42, I agree with you about St Kilda being an appropriate destination, if he goes. On the question of TPP etc, I remain of the view that salary cap was never the issue at Collingwood that it was presented to be. Looking at the situation as a manager, the right call if there really was an urgent salary cap issue was to trade out Grundy (it's probably unnecessary to say so because my views are well-known - but that would have been a poor call, barring actual desperation) on the best available terms. Rather, I think the Club realized it had overpaid certain players and then identified that they weren't as good as we had thought and moved them on under cover of a salary concern.
Pies2016

Post by Pies2016 »

We need to remember, DeGoey isn’t a trade. The only way we could stop him going to a major challenger, is to match the other clubs contract offer and then he goes nowhere. If we don’t want him or he wants out, then we have no control over where he goes. All you’re hoping for as a Collingwood supporter, is that the contract offered elsewhere, is so significant, that it allows for a maximum compensation return ( which would likely max out as the very next pick after our first round pick ) Example - if our first round pick is #13, then best scenario compo pick would be # 14 and right now, that is a very possible outcome.
Gary Player “ the harder I practice, the luckier I get “